Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Jun 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3261580)   #1726
Coopz21 x
Rookie

England
South West, UK
Coopz21 x has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Maybe it is an R18 mule being used to test the drivetrain and is not the full porsche chassis yet?
I know your only speculating and such, but to think Audi would give them anything to do with there car is a bit silly, they may be sister companies or what not but I don't think they would share a chassis... Could be wrong tho..
Old 12 Jun 2013, 14:31 (Ref:3261581)   #1727
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://twitter.com/Porsche/status/3...778112/photo/1

Me likey.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 14:50 (Ref:3261587)   #1728
skeeskirrt
Racer

United States
Boney Mountain
skeeskirrt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any guess to what numbers they will use? 20, 21, and 22 I hope?
Old 12 Jun 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3261588)   #1729
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So far I like what I see. I am still surprised that people expected something radically different?

I am looking forward to more information in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I don't understand the point of that camouflage.
I agree. "IF" they used a repeating pattern over the entire car, I think someone could actually (programmatically), generate a relatively accurate 3D model of the car. While it makes it hard for casual viewers to see the details, it is about one step away from putting a simple X/Y grid all over the body. Now, maybe they are smart and the camouflage does not use a repeating pattern!

Richard
Old 12 Jun 2013, 15:39 (Ref:3261599)   #1730
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Sauber C9 of 1987

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sa...F%3B1024%3B768

not that much has changed in 26 years!

Still glad to see Porsche back though.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 15:45 (Ref:3261602)   #1731
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Looks a little like they style the R18 and an Aston Martin nose, but it looks pretty good even in camo
Old 12 Jun 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3261620)   #1732
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeskirrt View Post
Any guess to what numbers they will use? 20, 21, and 22 I hope?
Maybe 1,2,3 for Audi
4,5,6 for Porsche
and 7,8,9 for Toyota.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3261622)   #1733
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim240z View Post
After thinking about it... and I even said this on one of the FB pics (not sure whos site) the front crash structure could be very R18 like due to the housing of hybrid FWD components. Being VWAG, I would assume they will use the same hybrid system.

Will the R18 be able to run next year? Or do they need a new car?
Audi will have an all new car for 2014 as well, although they haven't commented on what it will look like. There was earlier talk about the VAG cars using different technologies, but it is safe to say both will be hybrids.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 16:17 (Ref:3261625)   #1734
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One diesel, the other gasoline.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3261627)   #1735
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Full width rear wing with swan neck mount off the BHF, endplates appear to be outboard support..interesting. Nose screams Audi, roofline appears to have some sort of exhaust port at top on roof. Rectangle duct is different...

Can't wait for a full side shot, and further analysis.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 16:47 (Ref:3261631)   #1736
tpa8580
Rookie

tpa8580 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First thoughts were of an Audi in drag. That front end is a mix of Audi, Aston Martin and Toyota. I'm confused.
Must say I like the Dome solution for the BHH on the sides of the fenders better. But not bad. Here is to hoping the run it with a Martini livery.
And If squint real hard I see a little 956 .

Last edited by tpa8580; 12 Jun 2013 at 16:49. Reason: error
Old 12 Jun 2013, 16:57 (Ref:3261636)   #1737
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's the car will bring the 17th overall victory in Porsche hands. Looks great, and it runs great too: it's a Porsche LMP1, it cannot be differently.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 12 Jun 2013, 17:00 (Ref:3261637)   #1738
Velociraptor
Racer

Croatia
Velociraptor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911 View Post
That's the car will bring the 17th overall victory in Porsche hands. Looks great, and it runs great too: it's a Porsche LMP1, it cannot be differently.
With all due respect to other past runners, I don't think Porsche ever faced anything of Audi's magnitude. We'll see if it will be able to break Audi's streak.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3261638)   #1739
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
With all due respect to other past runners, I don't think Porsche ever faced anything of Audi's magnitude. We'll see if it will be able to break Audi's streak.
Erm... TWR Jaguar? Okay, they didn't win the umpteen times that Audi did over the last few years, but they had a team that was just about as strong.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 17:07 (Ref:3261642)   #1740
Velociraptor
Racer

Croatia
Velociraptor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They didn't have a huge financial background and an inherently more suited engine for endurance racing. If other manufacturers do not force ACO's/FIA hand and either BoP diesels into submission or ban them alltogether, I think Audi will remain the team to beat(as long as they're competing).
Old 12 Jun 2013, 17:10 (Ref:3261643)   #1741
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Who knows, it's difficult to quantify such a statement. Audi have largely been competing against themselves for best part of a decade and we've only been able to judge them against one opponent at a time. Maybe Peugeot and Audi were equally bad, and a third manufacturer could have come along and blitzed them both!

There's no doubting that Audi are a tough competitor, but Porsche have faced the very best that the late 90s GT1, late 80s Group C and the 1970s eras could throw at them and come out on top.

Of course, that's not relevant to previous efforts - it's not like they share any personnel from the 917 days. But the current Porsche company understands its history, and will ensure it doesn't rest on its laurels.

IMO, they'll have a better understanding and grasp of it all than Toyota who, in my opinion, just aren't taking this seriously enough as a company.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 17:18 (Ref:3261646)   #1742
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think we must all draw breath here, we do have a record for expecting new cars to be fully developed and touch down on the track sorted, perhaps this time we should be a little more forgiving than we have been with Toyota
Old 12 Jun 2013, 17:29 (Ref:3261648)   #1743
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it's necessary to BoP Audi into submission, but, definitely needs to be further balanced to petrol powered cars. The duration of the LM24 will show how well it's worked. I think Toyota is fast enough to push Audi to not allow them to sandbag.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3261651)   #1744
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Since they are ahead of schedule, wonder if there is any way that they would race it at PLM as a warmup and super-testing opportunity? Or, are they really going to wait for Le Mans 2014 for the first entry?

Can a car in 2014 specs race this year?

I know it is wishful thinking but it would be pretty exciting. Perfect bookends for the Petit Le Mans history... Porsche 911 GT1-98 in the first one and the Porsche LM-20 in the last PLM. (I know, we don't know the designation but thought that sounded good).
Old 12 Jun 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3261652)   #1745
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz21 x View Post
I know your only speculating and such, but to think Audi would give them anything to do with there car is a bit silly, they may be sister companies or what not but I don't think they would share a chassis... Could be wrong tho..
To think that there will be no resource sharing and that every single thing will be autonomous is also silly
Old 12 Jun 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3261657)   #1746
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Since they are ahead of schedule, wonder if there is any way that they would race it at PLM as a warmup and super-testing opportunity? Or, are they really going to wait for Le Mans 2014 for the first entry?

Can a car in 2014 specs race this year?
No, no and no, the engine is probably illegal for this year, and they won't debut the car at Le Mans next year, they'll debut it for the first WEC round earlier in the year.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 17:37 (Ref:3261658)   #1747
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I think we must all draw breath here, we do have a record for expecting new cars to be fully developed and touch down on the track sorted, perhaps this time we should be a little more forgiving than we have been with Toyota
I think whether Porsche like it or not there are a set of expectations that come with them making their return to the race.

Their PR is a celebration of their past success at the race so for them to come in and spend a year meekly finding their feet would be a disappointment - choose how.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 17:42 (Ref:3261664)   #1748
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Their PR is a celebration of their past success at the race so for them to come in and spend a year meekly finding their feet would be a disappointment - choose how.
The simple fact that their car is already running a full year before its first Le Mans outing shows that they'll definitely be coming out all guns blazing next year.

Another reason why they definitely won't race it this year (even if it might be allowed unclassified somewhere): the BoP culture doesn't make it advantageous to show your hand this early, getting the car on track at Petit just gives everyone else a few extra months to snoop around the car and outclass it in areas they'll be trying to hide.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3261670)   #1749
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the RS Spyder experience is a precedent for things to come, I feel there will be some growing pains, no matter what the expectations are. Especially considering that Porsche will be up against their biggest, badest opposition ever (no insult meant to Jaguar or Lancia/Ferrari).

DK
Old 12 Jun 2013, 18:20 (Ref:3261693)   #1750
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
No, no and no, the engine is probably illegal for this year, and they won't debut the car at Le Mans next year, they'll debut it for the first WEC round earlier in the year.
The Delta Wing wasn't legal to any ALMS or ACO class last year either... somehow it ran at PLM.

If Porsche made the offer to run at PLM, the ALMS would accept the entry gladly.