Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 10 May 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3404721)   #51
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This would have been a way better race if Indy did a better job with cautions and restarts.

Still, nice job by Simon.
Old 10 May 2014, 23:59 (Ref:3404739)   #52
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
I'd guess 10-20,000 when looking at Grand Am and MotoGP comparisons to today's crowds as those two series actually give out figures.
I'd say more than that. Oval T1 and the stands around oval T4/chute/to just before road course T1 were jammed...plus the infield.
Old 11 May 2014, 00:03 (Ref:3404740)   #53
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Motorsport reports Hinchcliffe has a concussion from being hit by debris.
Old 11 May 2014, 00:04 (Ref:3404742)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'd say more than that. Oval T1 and the stands around oval T4/chute/to just before road course T1 were jammed...plus the infield.
I don't get why the start/finish line stand opposite the pits was so empty. Maybe it's undergoing a re-furb before the 500?

Otherwise, potentially the best seats in the house.
Old 11 May 2014, 00:24 (Ref:3404746)   #55
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't get why the start/finish line stand opposite the pits was so empty. Maybe it's undergoing a re-furb before the 500?

The frontstretch grandstands were empty because they were closed. Im sure that lots of people would have liked to watch the race start and pitlane action.

But I guess that the IMS bosses preferred fans to see cars breaking and turning, to show them what road courses are like. It's not a bad idea. I hope that more grandstands are opened next year.

Quote:
Overall I don't think it was too bad a race
I'm fine with races decided by fuel strategy. It's not jsut radio call, but driving. Pagenaud managed to drive fast and efficiently. His drive was way greener that F1.

But I was very disappointed by the lack of slipstreaming and overtakes. I still enjoyed the race, but it was far from thrilling during the middle stints.
Old 11 May 2014, 00:28 (Ref:3404747)   #56
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
ESPN didn't have the race in any of its three channels in the Southern Cone. So I tuned the ESPN Play streaming website. The image froze a little every few seconds, but the resolution and audio were perfect. And there were no ads, the track feed was on the whole time.
Old 11 May 2014, 00:33 (Ref:3404748)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The frontstretch grandstands were empty because they were closed. Im sure that lots of people would have liked to watch the race start and pitlane action.

But I guess that the IMS bosses preferred fans to see cars breaking and turning, to show them what road courses are like. It's not a bad idea. I hope that more grandstands are opened next year.

I'm fine with races decided by fuel strategy. It's not jsut radio call, but driving. Pagenaud managed to drive fast and efficiently. His drive was way greener that F1.

But I was very disappointed by the lack of slipstreaming and overtakes. I still enjoyed the race, but it was far from thrilling during the middle stints.
What track would choose to close the main straight? This is where the race starts and finishes, plus you get to see all the pit action.

Maybe, they couldn't sell as many seats as they would have liked, so packed the infield instead?
Old 11 May 2014, 00:42 (Ref:3404751)   #58
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
"An incident-filled race was watched by a respectable crowd of approximately 21,700 fans.", David Malsher reports...
Old 11 May 2014, 02:43 (Ref:3404774)   #59
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Far too eventful for Montoya. Well done Pagenaud.
Old 11 May 2014, 10:29 (Ref:3404868)   #60
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe, they couldn't sell as many seats as they would have liked, so packed the infield instead?
By all reports the crowd exceeded expectations.

It looked like some of the top tier was open - I presume you can see some of the backstretch from the top tier?
Old 11 May 2014, 12:16 (Ref:3404908)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Motorsport reports Hinchcliffe has a concussion from being hit by debris.
More here:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113897
Old 11 May 2014, 13:48 (Ref:3404936)   #62
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
"An incident-filled race was watched by a respectable crowd of approximately 21,700 fans.", David Malsher reports...
My estimation was close...
Old 11 May 2014, 13:59 (Ref:3404940)   #63
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Start finish line seats except for the "Paddock Stand" were not for sale so IMS could make the relatively small crowd look better by packing them towards oval turns 1 and 4.
Old 11 May 2014, 14:02 (Ref:3404944)   #64
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Start finish line seats except for the "Paddock Stand" were not for sale so IMS could make the relatively small crowd look better by packing them towards oval turns 1 and 4.
Not wanting to come across as a complete cynic but that did cross my mind.
Old 11 May 2014, 14:23 (Ref:3404960)   #65
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Not wanting to come across as a complete cynic but that did cross my mind.
Common practice at racetracks, especially in the United States were TV matters significantly more than attendance. What your crowd looks like on television > What it actually is. You also get to save money on vending and stewards.

Which is why Indycar needs to be more worried about their pathetic TV numbers than attendance, especially with NASCAR coming to their cable network in 2015 and them being towards the end of their NBCSN contract.
Old 11 May 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3404972)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Common practice at racetracks, especially in the United States were TV matters significantly more than attendance. What your crowd looks like on television > What it actually is. You also get to save money on vending and stewards.

Which is why Indycar needs to be more worried about their pathetic TV numbers than attendance, especially with NASCAR coming to their cable network in 2015 and them being towards the end of their NBCSN contract.
Well, if I were an advertising exec for a sponsor, existing or potential and watched yesterdays race on TV, I wouldn't have been that impressed.

If the saving on vending and stewards is part of the thinking behind, then I think it's a false economy and is reflective of how out of touch the IRL is.
Old 11 May 2014, 15:06 (Ref:3404983)   #67
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why they didn't do a "buy 1 get 1" promo and let anyone with a 500 ticket in free, it would have probably benefited both races.
Old 12 May 2014, 00:38 (Ref:3405188)   #68
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well, if I were an advertising exec for a sponsor, existing or potential and watched yesterdays race on TV, I wouldn't have been that impressed.
Really?

The event seems to have exceeded year 1 crowd expectations, a decent enough race - I think if you were a sponsor (with perspective on Indycar) I think you would be happy with the event as addition to the package.

Any word of tv number for the event?
Old 12 May 2014, 00:42 (Ref:3405191)   #69
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Really?

The event seems to have exceeded year 1 crowd expectations, a decent enough race - I think if you were a sponsor (with perspective on Indycar) I think you would be happy with the event as addition to the package.

Any word of tv number for the event?
What was the year 1 crowd expectation?

I'd like to see the TV viewing figures.
Old 12 May 2014, 00:52 (Ref:3405193)   #70
D.R.T.
Veteran

I believe when the event was launched they had said that in year 1 - 10 to 15,000 was the target.

No confirmation of numbers - but this interview with Miles after the weekends race explains Indycar's feelings about the race and the motivation of holding it now and into the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJMXFhdcbQI
Old 12 May 2014, 13:50 (Ref:3405394)   #71
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What happened to Hawksworth?
Old 12 May 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3405398)   #72
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I'm wondering that too. Only saw the race on re-broadcast here. Hawksworth was leading, cut to commercial, suddenly he's in 9th or something, no explanation. I presume pit strategy but I really don't know.

Otherwise, I found that a surprisingly entertaining race. No, there wasn't a ton of passing, and the incidents marred it for me (especially the start - I generally have no use for Saavedra but he deserved better). The fuel strategy was a bit irritating with so many drivers needing to pit for a late splash. But overall... not bad entertainment. And very happy for Pagenaud, he seemed genuinely tickled pink to have a win at IMS. No secret he really, really wants an Indy 500 win.
Old 12 May 2014, 14:09 (Ref:3405410)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
The Autosport race report explains what happened to Hawksworth.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113896

Though basically Hawksworth and Pagenaud pitted during the yellow after Dixon went off and Pagenaud got out of the pits ahead of Hawsworth, who then got bogged down in traffic, with different cars on different strategies.
Old 12 May 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3405580)   #74
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wasn't bad but the headline <insert random driver name> wins chaotic race is becoming irritating. I'm all for standing starts but they need to get the technology right first. And those restarts were ridiculous. I don't often agree with rahal jr but he's right, you can't have single seater cars starting that close to each other, this isn't nascar, there'll be an accident.
Old 13 May 2014, 00:32 (Ref:3405668)   #75
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Autosport race report explains what happened to Hawksworth.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113896

Though basically Hawksworth and Pagenaud pitted during the yellow after Dixon went off and Pagenaud got out of the pits ahead of Hawsworth, who then got bogged down in traffic, with different cars on different strategies.
Thanks for that.