Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Mar 2016, 12:48 (Ref:3621544)   #26
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
As you say, John, your indulgence!

I guess only the later ACs used the Zephyr engine, or could it had with either?

The original AC engined Acecas had Alfin drums all round, but from 1957, the Bristol engined cars had the optional disc brake set up. I suspect that most would have been specified with these.

The final eight Acecas had the 2.6 litre Ford Zephyr engine (4 LHD/4 RHD) with the Mays head as the supply of Bristol engines had dried up.

And before you ask, my own Aceca-Bristol is intended as a road car only and won't be finished until much later in the year.....you'll have to make do with the Giulietta SVZ.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 12:51 (Ref:3621546)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thinking of other possible cars, did someone race a Coune MGB Berlinette a few years ago in Equipe GTS?
Old 9 Mar 2016, 12:57 (Ref:3621547)   #28
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just a few had the Zephyr engine and I think that they used it when Bristol stopped making their engine.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 9 Mar 2016, 12:59 (Ref:3621548)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
Blimey I've never ever been excluded from anything for being too quick before! I must have gone quicker without realising it
Dave, if you are seriously interested in doing this race please let me know spec of car, although I understand from other posts that you will be required elsewhere.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 9 Mar 2016, 13:17 (Ref:3621552)   #30
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
The original AC engined Acecas had Alfin drums all round, but from 1957, the Bristol engined cars had the optional disc brake set up. I suspect that most would have been specified with these.

The final eight Acecas had the 2.6 litre Ford Zephyr engine (4 LHD/4 RHD) with the Mays head as the supply of Bristol engines had dried up.

And before you ask, my own Aceca-Bristol is intended as a road car only and won't be finished until much later in the year.....you'll have to make do with the Giulietta SVZ.
Sorry, Brian, I think I was typing my later reply whilst you were doing this.

The Alfa is absolutely spot on for this race.

Mike, yes an MGB Coune Berlinette would also be good. I think I've only ever see one race and that was at the Revival a few years back.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 13:21 (Ref:3621553)   #31
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The Warwick is about the same pace as my Cortina, which is about the same pace as Brians Elite . . . . depending on weather/driver etc . . . . .
Old 9 Mar 2016, 13:51 (Ref:3621558)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Noted Joe, thanks. I seem to remember your Cortina v Warwick battle at this very track some years back.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 15:47 (Ref:3621582)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Well if Simon wants to drive his own TT you'll have to let me bring the Cortina and we can resume that battle!
Old 9 Mar 2016, 21:05 (Ref:3621679)   #34
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Dave, if you are seriously interested in doing this race please let me know spec of car, although I understand from other posts that you will be required elsewhere.
Hi John,

Just having a bit of banter, appreciate why you are setting the criteria and no problem with that. Sounds like a great event and fully appreciate what you are doing here.

All being well I will be at Anglesey in a TVR that definitely would not be invited (not my Grantura please note)!

All the best and have a great race meeting.

Cheers

Last edited by DaveGT6; 9 Mar 2016 at 21:25.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 08:33 (Ref:3621791)   #35
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Boys! haven't forgotten you and apologies for going awol! Thank-you Joe for e-mailing me and putting us in the loop. John the race sounds fantastic and if invited the Warwick will almost certainly be there! The Peerless has sat in the garage since coming back from Angouleme eons ago but Ian says he will do his best to get it sorted!
As you probably know he is racing a Ginetta G16 in Guards and spent most of last season sorting it so we have been in the workshop rather than on track. we are both looking forward to seeing you all.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 12:51 (Ref:3621847)   #36
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Celia, fantastic! Consider yourself and Ian invited with both cars without further ado!
Old 11 Mar 2016, 09:45 (Ref:3622091)   #37
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Well if Simon wants to drive his own TT you'll have to let me bring the Cortina and we can resume that battle!
I know you jest, Joe! If Simon wants to drive then what better incentive to get yours ready on time and get two on the grid. When was the last time two TTs shared grid, if ever?
Old 12 Mar 2016, 09:45 (Ref:3622302)   #38
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Does anyone know if James Willis still owns the ex John Milne MG Midget Coupe, 138 DJB, and if so do you have a contact for him? Car history here, and I will try to make contact through this site but if anyone knows please PM me

http://www.jacobsmidget.com/138djb.html
Old 12 Mar 2016, 10:43 (Ref:3622313)   #39
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ok, I've had a response from Martin Ingall on the above website so now have a contact for James
Old 13 Mar 2016, 09:34 (Ref:3622460)   #40
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I'm sure that you've posted the link before Joe, but worth another look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YU5Q--1tk0

I'm also trying to trace John Lesley, who used to, and may still, race a Reliant Sabre 6GT. I used to have a contact for him but now lost. Please PM me if you have any info.

Also Bob Binfield, Gilbern GT owner. I'm told you read this. Please PM me!

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Mar 2016 at 09:40.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 10:09 (Ref:3622653)   #41
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
The one that got away . . . bloody alternator fell apart. I did a better job next time.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 10:57 (Ref:3622655)   #42
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Indeed, Joe. Great footage though. The Warwick looked incredibly twitchy out of the corners!

I'm also now looking for Mike Youles who prepared a Rochdale Olympic Phase 2 for racing and ran it at Goodwood a few years back. I think he has since sold it on but if anyone has contact with Mike, or indeed the current owner, please PM me.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 13:23 (Ref:3622690)   #43
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Tony Sinclair accoerding to this John

http://www.tsl-timing.com/event/143721/session/qu1fwt

The Ogle currently resides about 30 feet from my cars, Its midway through its HTP inspection
Old 14 Mar 2016, 14:03 (Ref:3622712)   #44
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Joe, I've been provided with a contact for Mike Youles so he may have Tony's contact details.

The Ogle would also be a brilliant addition so any chance of a contact? Not sure that Julien Draper would be the owner as he is a pro, so maybe was given the drive?

Last edited by John Turner; 14 Mar 2016 at 14:09.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 15:37 (Ref:3622734)   #45
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ok, things are beginning to look really good for this. Thanks to Brian Arculus pointing me to JIGSAW racing, I've now had a chat with Mark Field there. He is very keen to bring the Triumph Spitfire Le Mans Coupe ADU 1B along and also the only Triumph Italia racing, since both cars will be there the day before with Equipe GTS.

Last edited by John Turner; 15 Mar 2016 at 06:48.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 17:03 (Ref:3622751)   #46
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Andy Cattani at Classic and race looks after the Ogle, it belongs to Hugh James. His son also drives it . . . email Andy via the classic and race website
Old 14 Mar 2016, 19:37 (Ref:3622782)   #47
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Joe, will do
Old 14 Mar 2016, 21:27 (Ref:3622814)   #48
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Quote:
Ok, things are beginning to look really good for this. Thanks to Brian Arculus pointing me to JIGSAW racing, I've now had a chat with Brian Field there. He is very keen to bring the Triumph Spitfire Le Mans Coupe ADU 1B along and also the only Triumph Italia racing, since both cars will be there the day before with Equipe GTS.

You may accuse me of being churlish John, but by no stretch of the imagination can the Triumph Italia be described as a "fastback". It is a truly beautiful little machine and I have seen the car in question - very nicely prepared, but not a fastback.

If you let this in, can I run the Elite - the roof line is remarkably similar to the Italia.......

P.S. Its Mark Field at Jigsaw - not Brian!
Old 15 Mar 2016, 06:52 (Ref:3622883)   #49
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks for correction re Mark - have altered it.

I was surprised about the Italia because I thought it was a coupe but he assured me it was a fastback and I thought my memory was failing.

I'll have to go back to him, although I suppose a guest vehicle is not out of the question, and it is the only one!
Old 15 Mar 2016, 07:18 (Ref:3622884)   #50
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Quote:

I was surprised about the Italia because I thought it was a coupe but he assured me it was a fastback and I thought my memory was failing.

I'll have to go back to him, although I suppose a guest vehicle is not out of the question, and it is the only one!

Definitely a coupe in my book........
Attached Thumbnails
Italia.jpg