Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Nov 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3780078)   #676
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Losing GTE Am isn't much of a problem, it doesn't really offer anything other classes don't and tends to be the main source of destroyed LMP1 cars. Putting pressure on GTE Pro doesn't bother me that much either, I'm not hugely fond of all the manufacturers shacking up in the slow class without any encouragement to move up. The issue then becomes the way GTE is artificially held at 3:50 though.

The question is actually whether LMP2 or GTE Am is cheaper though, because you'd need considerably more LMP2 cars than are actually running anywhere to push GTE Am out entirely. 2017 was 24 LMP2, 15 GTE Am, 12 GTE Pro, and 6 LMP1 with I think an LMP2 reserve. Although the last few teams were different, the rest of the year there was around 25 or 26 current gen LMP2 cars running across WEC, ELMS, and IMSA so there was maybe 30 of the things out there? Next year there's a few more IMSA cars (probably none of which will go to Le Mans again) but 3-5 of those LMP2 entries are going to LMP1. So adding 10-20 more LMP2 cars seems like a big stretch unless it's really cost effective.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 19:58 (Ref:3780080)   #677
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We have different priorities it appears - I'm not concerned with overall lap time, so the 3:50 holding time on the GTE-Pro class doesn't bother me.

If you opened up to any car is fastest then you'd have teams moving to LMP2 who are far out of their depth, because it'd get them on the grid. We seen it before with teams like T2M. You'd have teams hiring a chassis and then running around at the back bringing absolutely nothing. You may not completely push the GTE class out, but you would see more LMP2 cars, and not necessarily running well.

I'd personally rather see 4 high quality classes (or 3, there's an argument for one large GTE class) than 2 classes with high numbers and poor quality. It gives quality and variety.

I don't see a huge problem with the way it currently is. My only issue is when they start dropping long time regular supporters of the series and events to allow in multiple manufacturer cars who are just doing one event, or in it for the short term.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 20:24 (Ref:3780082)   #678
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
We have different priorities it appears - I'm not concerned with overall lap time, so the 3:50 holding time on the GTE-Pro class doesn't bother me.

If you opened up to any car is fastest then you'd have teams moving to LMP2 who are far out of their depth, because it'd get them on the grid. We seen it before with teams like T2M. You'd have teams hiring a chassis and then running around at the back bringing absolutely nothing. You may not completely push the GTE class out, but you would see more LMP2 cars, and not necessarily running well.

I'd personally rather see 4 high quality classes (or 3, there's an argument for one large GTE class) than 2 classes with high numbers and poor quality. It gives quality and variety.

I don't see a huge problem with the way it currently is. My only issue is when they start dropping long time regular supporters of the series and events to allow in multiple manufacturer cars who are just doing one event, or in it for the short term.
Excellent point. Restricting GTE-Pro (or P1 when relevant) to three entries per manufacturer makes totally sense.

However, said manufacturers are obviously bringing in big bucks to LM (and the series). The ACO will find it very hard to say 'non' to that.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 21:01 (Ref:3780278)   #679
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does anyone have a link to where the BoP updates are officially posted? They used to be in the WEC news section but they've stopped posting them. Not on the FIA site from what I can find either.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 22:43 (Ref:3780307)   #680
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
https://www.fia.com/events/world-end...ance-committee
Old 14 Nov 2017, 07:44 (Ref:3780347)   #681
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
You're a star.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 19:15 (Ref:3780438)   #682
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was said on some DSC piece that Oreca may field LMP1 under themselves next year? That'd be interesting, and first time since 2011. I mean I know they've basically been running the Toyota operations anyway track side, but team of their own.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 21:06 (Ref:3780459)   #683
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
It was said on some DSC piece that Oreca may field LMP1 under themselves next year? That'd be interesting, and first time since 2011. I mean I know they've basically been running the Toyota operations anyway track side, but team of their own.
It's a rumor right now. Maybe dragonspeed is going to run an Oreca lmp1 because so far they've yet to announce what their car choice is. DSC hinting at some new announcements at Bahrain too!

Quote:
Further announcements are also expected in Bahrain around proposed entries in more than one class for the 2018/19 season.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3780462)   #684
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It's a rumor right now. Maybe dragonspeed is going to run an Oreca lmp1 because so far they've yet to announce what their car choice is. DSC hinting at some new announcements at Bahrain too!
Yes, interesting times!

ACO better not mess this sudden gem of a field that's shaping up for the next couple of years, seemingly.

I'll be shaking my head if Rebellion stays in LMP2 just when finally for the first time since 2012 there's actual competition for them in LMP1. Even Manor can do a program running both LMP1 and LMP2 next year, why can't them? AT THE VERY LEAST, even if they run LMP2 full year, rent Ginetta or Oreca LMP1 and enter it just for Le Mans, please. The entry is guaranteed, ACO wants these cars in priority.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 14:18 (Ref:3780563)   #685
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Rebellion nearing full season/P1 decision:

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/r...orgo-rolex-24/
Old 15 Nov 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3780564)   #686
Deleted
Veteran

Excellent, I mean even the notion of making the decision in December gets me hopeful. Screw Daytona, don't care rats ass about that
Old 15 Nov 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3780609)   #687
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope, we need the Rebs in LMP1 for WEC and Le Mans!
Old 15 Nov 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3780617)   #688
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
They should never have left LMP1, that is were they should be
Old 16 Nov 2017, 00:18 (Ref:3780657)   #689
Deleted
Veteran

Agreed the decision to leave for 2017 was very short-sighted, even considering no-one really suspected Porsche's withdrawal.

I think if all the pieces locked in together we actually could have around 12-13 P1s for Le Mans?? We can only hope
Old 16 Nov 2017, 02:55 (Ref:3780668)   #690
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Agreed the decision to leave for 2017 was very short-sighted, even considering no-one really suspected Porsche's withdrawal.

I think if all the pieces locked in together we actually could have around 12-13 P1s for Le Mans?? We can only hope
That may be the case, but we already had the P2's on the overall podium this year. Is a P2 really that much worse of a proposition for a team when it comes to Le Mans in 2018? Don't get me wrong, I want to see REB in P1 and as many cars as possible in P1, but if I had a team, I wouldn't count out a P2 entry being strong at Le Mans.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3780728)   #691
Deleted
Veteran

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/b...ay-notebook-4/

***In addition to planned adoption of a Teams’ World Championship and revised points structure for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the FIA and ACO have adopted changes to pit stop regulations for 2018/19, which will permit tire changes during refueling.

NOOOOO WHAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That may be the case, but we already had the P2's on the overall podium this year. Is a P2 really that much worse of a proposition for a team when it comes to Le Mans in 2018? Don't get me wrong, I want to see REB in P1 and as many cars as possible in P1, but if I had a team, I wouldn't count out a P2 entry being strong at Le Mans.
LMP2 will be in horribly weaker proposition next year at the 24 Hours, IMO there is zero chance for win. Maybe podium again as off chance but I wouldn't even bet on that, it really will be difficult.

For speed: http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=659

And on top of that if you have 10+ LMP1 as it very well looks as is the case, all of them would have to blunder off the radar before P2s. Pretty much Le Mans 2010 would have to happen again more or less.

Also, even if we forget LMP1 for a second and go to P2 alone, Oreca will effectively be neutered next year with the other three cartell manufacturers receiving their joker EVO updates or whatever they're called, you're not gonna get as dominant machinery as this year from them.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 14:11 (Ref:3780749)   #692
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
LMP2 will be in horribly weaker proposition next year at the 24 Hours, IMO there is zero chance for win. Maybe podium again as off chance but I wouldn't even bet on that, it really will be difficult.

For speed: http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=659

And on top of that if you have 10+ LMP1 as it very well looks as is the case, all of them would have to blunder off the radar before P2s. Pretty much Le Mans 2010 would have to happen again more or less.

Also, even if we forget LMP1 for a second and go to P2 alone, Oreca will effectively be neutered next year with the other three cartell manufacturers receiving their joker EVO updates or whatever they're called, you're not gonna get as dominant machinery as this year from them.
I agree, the numbers of potential lmp1's do make things more unlikely. But they are all going to be new cars, so you never know what will happen. Plus what are the odds that Toyota really will get both cars home in one piece?
Old 16 Nov 2017, 14:58 (Ref:3780758)   #693
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
As for the pit stops, I don't know why the ACO ditched the ALMS style of stops. One wheel gun at a time didn't cut down on the number of pit crew going over the wall, and the only time in post LM races that teams double stinted tires was when tire allocations forced them to.

I always thought that the one wheel gun at a time deal was kinda stupid.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 15:25 (Ref:3780764)   #694
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I agree, the numbers of potential lmp1's do make things more unlikely. But they are all going to be new cars, so you never know what will happen. Plus what are the odds that Toyota really will get both cars home in one piece?
Mm yes, but I think in recent years we've seen fairly good reliability from new machinery (even LMP2 this year), so the likelihood of -massive- drama should be smaller than it used to. I do however expect (obviously) ByKolles to be non-factor, the AERs of SMP-Dallaras to blow up, and yes Toyotas to crumble because that's what they tend to do, so what you are left will be the Ginettas and Oreca(s). Hopefully the Ginetta P1 department is stronger than the initial LMP3 one...
Old 17 Nov 2017, 07:33 (Ref:3780905)   #695
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If Oreca run a 'works' car it can only be because they truly believe there is a real opportunity for overall victory ...
Old 17 Nov 2017, 20:36 (Ref:3781101)   #696
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/b...ay-notebook-4/

***In addition to planned adoption of a Teams’ World Championship and revised points structure for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the FIA and ACO have adopted changes to pit stop regulations for 2018/19, which will permit tire changes during refueling.

NOOOOO WHAT
Arrgggh, what is wrong with these people?
Splitting tyre changes and refuelling is such an easy win for tactical variation. And it has the added advantage of not forcing drivers to do stupid, dangerous IMSA-style changes where they end up leaving the box without doing up their belts.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 02:56 (Ref:3781158)   #697
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Splitting tyre changes and refuelling is such an easy win for tactical variation. And it has the added advantage of not forcing drivers to do stupid, dangerous IMSA-style changes where they end up leaving the box without doing up their belts.
Maybe the teams were asking for this change?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 18 Nov 2017, 04:07 (Ref:3781168)   #698
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
All they have to do is slow the refueling and the tire change will be done long before the car is filled. As long as there's no burnouts I'm ok with this
Old 18 Nov 2017, 07:56 (Ref:3781179)   #699
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Group C had refuelling and tire changes at the same time... though the refuelling rate was something like 0.5 liters per second.
Old 18 Nov 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3781184)   #700
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why make two changes to end up with the same result?