Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jan 2018, 11:19 (Ref:3790289)   #26
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mike, I saw Attleborough Railway Station on TV last night but didn't spot you there waiting to greet Michael Portillo!
Old 2 Jan 2018, 11:37 (Ref:3790290)   #27
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
≥>>>>>>>>>>>>On has to wonder whether government really are too collectively stupid to realise what effect they will have with most of their decisions OR are in fact in collusion with the organisations they are apparently trying to "control for the public good" for the good of government and their vassals.

I may be naive but I hold to the "cock up not conspiracy" school of thought. I genuinely think out political class doesn't have any experience or understanding of the real world and just are incapable of thinking through.

I have to believe that, I don't have any tin foil left after cooking the turkey.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Jan 2018, 11:56 (Ref:3790291)   #28
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
≥>>>>>>>>>>>>On has to wonder whether government really are too collectively stupid to realise what effect they will have with most of their decisions OR are in fact in collusion with the organisations they are apparently trying to "control for the public good" for the good of government and their vassals.

I may be naive but I hold to the "cock up not conspiracy" school of thought. I genuinely think out political class doesn't have any experience or understanding of the real world and just are incapable of thinking through.

I have to believe that, I don't have any tin foil left after cooking the turkey.

I feel the same way Max but that in turn would mean that the educated Élite, mostly from Oxbridge, educational establishments that, we are told, are rated as amongst the very best universities in the world, are educated to a point of incompetence.

I think I would prefer the concept of conspiracy to apply. You can work out where you are with a conspiracy.

I would recommend the extra strong tin foil in a generous width so it can be doubled over.
Old 2 Jan 2018, 12:10 (Ref:3790292)   #29
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Mike, I saw Attleborough Railway Station on TV last night but didn't spot you there waiting to greet Michael Portillo!
That was an interesting prog for anyone living in Norfolk. Good PR for Cromer as well!

Motorsport tv showed some archive LM24 film last night (which no doubt will be repeated ad nauseum if you missed it). Started with ‘30s footage, and covered until first Jag victory in ‘51 or whenever. Delta would have enjoyed it as the Cadillac Saloon (a replica of which he raced at LMC in 2016) was shown, along with the ‘Le Monstre’ version. Think next episode will cover the tragic 1955 race, but most of us have already seen other coverage of that.
Old 2 Jan 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3790302)   #30
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That was an interesting prog for anyone living in Norfolk. Good PR for Cromer as well!

Motorsport tv showed some archive LM24 film last night (which no doubt will be repeated ad nauseum if you missed it). Started with ‘30s footage, and covered until first Jag victory in ‘51 or whenever. Delta would have enjoyed it as the Cadillac Saloon (a replica of which he raced at LMC in 2016) was shown, along with the ‘Le Monstre’ version. Think next episode will cover the tragic 1955 race, but most of us have already seen other coverage of that.
Yes, it was good PR for Cromer, a coincidence since it was the arrival of railways that put Cromer on the map as a holiday resort. A pity we only saw the museum curator & not the museum itself as a friend of mine originally created it some years ago.
Old 2 Jan 2018, 14:31 (Ref:3790311)   #31
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Give me the nod when its on again Mike. Thank you. I've been entered again this year.The owner is also building a Le Monster recreation.
Old 2 Jan 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3790327)   #32
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Give me the nod when its on again Mike. Thank you. I've been entered again this year. The owner is also building a Le Monster recreation.
Will keep my eye on it. BTW my spelling of 'monstre' is right, but 'too clever for it's own good' auto correct doesn't always know that......
Old 2 Jan 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3790339)   #33
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Happy new year from Spain, did the usual and drank the free Cava and ate the 12 grapes at midnight in the village square and then on to a beach bar down the front to see a rock group. We didn't stop out too long as Mrs S was doing a charity day swim in the sea. I know the med is not like the north sea but it's not the warm at this time of year and she didn't wear a wet suit !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Jan 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3790340)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
We didn't stop out too long as Mrs S was doing a charity day swim in the sea. I know the med is not like the north sea but it's not the warm at this time of year and she didn't wear a wet suit !
Respect for that, I’d hesitate to even jump in a heated pool this time of year!

Happy New Year to you both.
Old 2 Jan 2018, 18:20 (Ref:3790341)   #35
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Respect for that, I’d hesitate to even jump in a heated pool this time of year!

Happy New Year to you both.
Lots of people were happily jumping into the sea in Boulogne, Calais & Dunkerque yesterday without the need for wetsuits.
Old 2 Jan 2018, 18:27 (Ref:3790342)   #36
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Lots of people were happily jumping into the sea in Boulogne, Calais & Dunkerque yesterday without the need for wetsuits.
They’ve been doing it on our coast as well- some on Xmas day. Doesn’t change my views on winter swimming, though!
Old 2 Jan 2018, 19:27 (Ref:3790350)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I was reminded when paying an RFL on the w/end that credit card surcharges haven’t been kicked into touch yet. £2.50 charge on an £18 payment is criminal! But fear not, the new law comes in during this month, so hopefully anything needing to be taxed from then will not incurr the fee....

I will be checking
Just going back to this. It's a case of be careful what you wish for. Seems that the charge for credit cards is going, to be replaced with a "tariff" for making a booking with either cash in person, or on line via credit card, bank transfer or other means.

So, not only are the credit card customers still being pinged, those who pay cash will also suffer a charge.
Old 2 Jan 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3790360)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just going back to this. It's a case of be careful what you wish for. Seems that the charge for credit cards is going, to be replaced with a "tariff" for making a booking with either cash in person, or on line via credit card, bank transfer or other means.

So, not only are the credit card customers still being pinged, those who pay cash will also suffer a charge.
Why am I not surprised by that......
Old 2 Jan 2018, 21:06 (Ref:3790362)   #39
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

I think it might be time for large number of people to stop buying anything for a week or two from any company or other revenue taker who is enthusiastic about such ideas.

Mind you - the mobile phone lot are masters of dipping and few if any seem to bother about them so I don't hold out much hope for any direct action.
Old 2 Jan 2018, 21:23 (Ref:3790366)   #40
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Isn't there something about if you have to pay any tax before the end of January deadline, you can only pay by credit card if before the 13th of Jan? Don't know whether that's anything to do with the new "no charges" edict?

Which reminds me.....must do my partnership and personal tax returns before long.....and then work out how to persuade The Man that I'm pretty much retired now so can I just go back to PAYE on my pensions, pretty please?

Belated Happy New Year to all
Old 2 Jan 2018, 22:12 (Ref:3790377)   #41
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I feel the same way Max but that in turn would mean that the educated Élite, mostly from Oxbridge, educational establishments that, we are told, are rated as amongst the very best universities in the world, are educated to a point of incompetence.

I think I would prefer the concept of conspiracy to apply. You can work out where you are with a conspiracy.

I would recommend the extra strong tin foil in a generous width so it can be doubled over.
I think they are highly educated but have gone from pampered private school to pampered university to political internship to pointless jobs giving them time to pursue their political careers. So they have no experience of the real world.

I would out a minimum age on all politicians, plus they must have done a number of proper jobs before they're allowed to stand.

Old 2 Jan 2018, 23:46 (Ref:3790386)   #42
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit like teachers - school, university, year out to bum around, teacher training, teacher. No experience of real working life.

Just hope I've not upset anyone here.
Old 2 Jan 2018, 23:48 (Ref:3790387)   #43
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Happy New Year to all.

In the UK the Old Year seemed to go out in some blazes of glory. When was the last time an entire multi-storey car park was engulfed? More flats too.

Let's hope this is not a trend that continues into 2018. I could foresee our Iain's plans being disrupted by conscription to the fire service owing to his past experience. As I understand things the wise people in control have decided fires are things of the past these days and cut staffing levels. They may need help!

Some of the local firework displays last night looked like they too had the potential to result in unplanned incendiary activity. Hopefully they were all incident free.

Have fun everyone. Especially Max and anyone else blessed with a Jan 1 birthday.
I wonder how many people had very expensive cameras, phones, watches etc in their cars when they caught fire? The insurance claims may need careful reading!!

I also saw with astonishment and disgust that a number of dogs had been left in cars. Some were rescued ok from the top deck next day, but are we sure that idiots didn't leave dogs in their cars on other floors? No one expects a car park fire but who in their right mind keeps a dog in a locked car for several hours, even in the cool of winter or at night?

It's not been a good period with animals trapped in fires at several locations. Appalling.
Old 3 Jan 2018, 01:42 (Ref:3790393)   #44
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I wonder how many people had very expensive cameras, phones, watches etc in their cars when they caught fire? The insurance claims may need careful reading!!
I had the same thought but then wondered how many people really consider their personal property insurance.

My car policy covers a nominal 2 or 300 quid iirc.

My household policy is not huge either for personal effects away from the home.

Now if claiming against someone else's policy one might, in the past, have gone largely unchecked.

These days I'm not so sure. The companies will likely disclose to each other the details of level of cover.

It's probably safe to assume that 99% of car insurance companies (or at least underwriters) will have a "position" in the carpark fire. That alone is likely to suppress discussion and limit the potential for trying to game the system.

It could become a very interesting blame game. I wonder if we will ever hear the complete story?
Old 3 Jan 2018, 05:14 (Ref:3790402)   #45
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would also be interesting to know how many of the cars were insured.
Old 3 Jan 2018, 07:14 (Ref:3790408)   #46
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post

I also saw with astonishment and disgust that a number of dogs had been left in cars. Some were rescued ok from the top deck next day, but are we sure that idiots didn't leave dogs in their cars on other floors? No one expects a car park fire but who in their right mind keeps a dog in a locked car for several hours, even in the cool of winter or at night?

It's not been a good period with animals trapped in fires at several locations. Appalling.
Some years ago I was advised not to leave anything at all in my car when parking in Liverpool one day - and that was by a local!
Old 3 Jan 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3790420)   #47
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Some years ago I was advised not to leave anything at all in my car when parking in Liverpool one day - and that was by a local!
Even better advice would be not to park in Liverpool atall.
Old 3 Jan 2018, 08:26 (Ref:3790421)   #48
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have specialist camera insurance (separate to the normal household policy) which is expensive but covers everything when away from the house including when in the boot of a car. However, even that policy doesn't cover equipment left in a car overnight which is a fairly typical exclusion - mine's from 9pm-6am for example. I think the fire started before then but I suppose people would have to prove to their insurance companies that they intended to return to the car before the cut-off time.
Old 3 Jan 2018, 09:55 (Ref:3790437)   #49
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I have not had a call from Fire Brigade yet . OAP retained fire service . Sure would be a lot of fun . Mind you half of my old team are underground . Spare a thought for our Mike today as he says farewell to a good friend Richard . Morgan enthusiast and they both competed in the Stoke Row tour a few years ago . There is a great picture of them laughing at the finish . Any chance of finding the pic Grant and posting . RIP Richard . A very nice man .
Old 3 Jan 2018, 17:02 (Ref:3790493)   #50
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks bud, it was a sad day but an excellent send off! As Rich had been an RNLI volunteer the wake was held in the boat house. The lifeboat was shoved outside for the afternoon! Considering the wind strength we were half expecting a shout at some point.....

We’re planning a tribute visit to the Revival this year for his other half, but that’s only if tickets are still available!