Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 25 Jun 2018, 15:13 (Ref:3833042)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds good. I'm actually looking at one of the flexotel packages rather than pure camping. Then I'd like to take the MGB down for the event.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3833043)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would be good then if we can find a member who has done that. Anyone?

Any idea when you would think of going over Peter?
Old 25 Jun 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3833064)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Probably the Thursday. Going back on the Monday.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 09:47 (Ref:3833162)   #29
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you can squeeze in the Wednesday too, you get an extra 6 hours of track action (between 4pm and midnight), and an opportunity to explore the various parts of the circuit at leisure. Thursday could be a washout, and there's no track action on the Friday.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 09:48 (Ref:3833163)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, I understand that.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3833177)   #31
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Flexotels are, unless there are multiple sets, based by the Antares Tram stop/Houx Annexe area.

Plenty of journalist types stay there so googling some of their trip reports will show what the facilities are.

Probably a 20min walk from the Flexotel to the Grandstand.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3833178)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The walk is not really a problem, the issue is security and comfort. I'm too long in the tooth to go camping.

Anyway just spoke to Travel Destinations and I can book for Weds arrival and Monday depart for a bit extra.

Thanks
Old 26 Jun 2018, 13:12 (Ref:3833181)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Booked and deposit paid. I suppose I'd better pay more attention to you lot now.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3833214)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good man. I'd be bound to say it of course, but I'm sure you won't regret it. Doing it with TD is a great idea. If I was making my debut, I'd almost certainly do the same. Apart from having everything set up for you, you'll have a great base at the Porsche Curves. Not too far to walk to the main stands etc. and a good spot from which to cruise out to Arnage or Mulsanne for qualifying on Wednesday and Thursday if you're so minded. (We can always help with directions).
Old 26 Jun 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3833217)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well it's something we wanted to do for years. I plan to be retired next year so time to do it.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3833325)   #36
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If i do it in investments, I'll have the dosh to do so in 2019.
We'll see...
Old 27 Jun 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3833328)   #37
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well it's something we wanted to do for years. I plan to be retired next year so time to do it.
Peter, do not underestimate the distances you need to walk at le Mans. I've done it around 10 ten times over the last 30 years mainly camping off site and it really can be pretty gruelling particularly if the temperature is high. If you are able to get there early in the week, as several others have said, the experience of sitting in the Dunlop or Ford chicane grandstands at 10pm during qualifying is absolutely magic.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3833329)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thanks, yes we plan to arrive on the Wednesday to get some time for Thursday qualifying. And yes I expect to do a fair amount of walking. Hopefully that will get me in trim for racing at the Spa 3hrs the following weekend.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3833330)   #39
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Good man. I'd be bound to say it of course, but I'm sure you won't regret it. Doing it with TD is a great idea. If I was making my debut, I'd almost certainly do the same. Apart from having everything set up for you, you'll have a great base at the Porsche Curves. Not too far to walk to the main stands etc. and a good spot from which to cruise out to Arnage or Mulsanne for qualifying on Wednesday and Thursday if you're so minded. (We can always help with directions).
I'm pretty sure the flexotels are in the Antares Tram stop/Houx Annexe area, long walk to the Porsche Curves!
Old 27 Jun 2018, 14:48 (Ref:3833333)   #40
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes Antares Sud.

Here's a link. It seems we will be walking the equivalent of Silverstone from the Antares Sud location to the grandstands. https://lemansrace.com/wp-content/up...ircuit-map.pdf

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 27 Jun 2018 at 14:58. Reason: Map link added.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 15:03 (Ref:3833336)   #41
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i know you probably drive around spa more than walk it but le mans is a lot flatter, you can drift up to tertre rouge slowly watching the cars as you go and back, there are refreshment stands dotted about but you do pay through the nose for them. Make sure you are around the village at 12.00 for the meet you might regognise a few faces there, i am sure i have spoken to you at Spa a few times, hoping to be at the spa 6 hours this year so will say hello if you are in the paddock when i am there.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 15:47 (Ref:3833339)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Sadly won't be at the 6hrs this year. Yes I was going to ask if you can walk counterclockwise from Antares to Terte Rouge.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3833349)   #43
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sadly won't be at the 6hrs this year. Yes I was going to ask if you can walk counterclockwise from Antares to Terte Rouge.
I created a map some years ago you might find helpful
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aG...J4&usp=sharing

I've noticed it has been seen over 5000 times. That's rather impressive!
Old 27 Jun 2018, 20:19 (Ref:3833368)   #44
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Yes Antares Sud.

Here's a link. It seems we will be walking the equivalent of Silverstone from the Antares Sud location to the grandstands. https://lemansrace.com/wp-content/up...ircuit-map.pdf
My misunderstanding, when you mentioned TD, I just assumed you'd changed your mind about the flexhotel and were using their campsite at the Porsche Curves.....
Old 27 Jun 2018, 20:22 (Ref:3833372)   #45
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter, for the past few years I have camped in Garage Vert, which is just inside the entrance at Antares. When you go through that entrance you can go right and follow the roadway straight to banks which overloook the forest esses and Tertre Rouge. Bearing left at that entrance you will come to a series of subways and stairs which leads up to the Dunlop bridge - you can see where this is from the map posted by CTD. Not to bad for walking. I tend to go to the local Del Arte for dinner on Friday and Sunday as it is a 10 minute walk from the Antares gate past the tram station, food's OK and the beer is cold, which is vital after the compulsory shower, clean clothes and a rest on Sunday evening. What time are you planning to arrive on the Wednesday? There is practice and qualifying through to midnight on Wednesday as well as Thursday. I arrive about mid day on the Thursday to set up camp in time to have a brief look around and then head out to Arnage for qually and back in time for a beer and final qually somewhere near Dunlop.

There will be plenty of advice on here before next year :-)
Old 28 Jun 2018, 06:56 (Ref:3833410)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude2cv View Post

There will be plenty of advice on here before next year :-)
I'm banking on it!

We plan to arrive around four/five pm, which should allow us to settle in then go for a wander. Would be good to get there a few days earlier but schedules don't fit.

I understand the concessions inside the circuit are somewhat expensive, but if we can exit and go to "offsite" cafes etc. that will also be good.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 10:03 (Ref:3833574)   #47
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well as this year was my 25th it would be rude not to continue. Close proximity of N24 has been noted.
Old 1 Jul 2018, 06:58 (Ref:3833866)   #48
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably not. I enjoyed my 1st trip in 2018, but not as much as I enjoy the Spa 24 hours so probably will only do that next year
Old 1 Jul 2018, 20:24 (Ref:3834202)   #49
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
After some belting races this decade I've resigned myself to perhaps a three-year down period while the regs wait to be updated. In this holding pattern I really don't see the outcome of the race being much different, especially next year, to what we saw this time around.

But as long as there's a race on I'll be there!
Old 2 Jul 2018, 15:16 (Ref:3834315)   #50
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
After some belting races this decade I've resigned myself to perhaps a three-year down period while the regs wait to be updated. In this holding pattern I really don't see the outcome of the race being much different, especially next year, to what we saw this time around.

But as long as there's a race on I'll be there!
Now that you have said that, next year's overall winner will be from GTE Am.