Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Which of these drivers is most likely to retire with a WDC trophy?
Monotya 29 31.18%
Kimi 22 23.66%
Button 37 39.78%
Webber 18 19.35%
Alonso 45 48.39%
Fisi 1 1.08%
Other 4 4.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Apr 2004, 10:25 (Ref:953311)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
"He's definately a Future World Champion"

We here those words thrown around a bit these days, and on many drivers.

Of the current grid I've heard it stated as fact when it comes to Montoya, Kimi, Alonso, Webber, Button and even Fisi.

Although all above are ahead of the class, we only need look back to other drivers that were 'definate WDC'. Pizzonia was going to be the 2nd coming, as was Massa, Sato, Herbert and Verstappen.

Reality : of the current grid, only 1, 2 or maybe 3 will get the chance before their individual careers are over. And this is assuming a new star does'nt come along in the mean time (and none on that top list have been around more than 5 years).

Some of them, as talented as they are, will not live their dream.

So, my question is, of those in front of us at the moment, who would you put money on? At least 5 have the talent to be WDC, but considering age and talent seen so far who do you REALLY think will actually succeed?
Old 27 Apr 2004, 10:31 (Ref:953316)   #2
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso and Kimi. They are both very young and have the necessary skill. Webber is not in a good car and is a little bit older. Montoya is not consistent and hard working enough. Button could be WDC in a dominant car (like Damon Hill), but he is not more than that. Fisi is Fisi there is no way at all.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 10:54 (Ref:953338)   #3
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
All but Fisi I guess.
Can't see Fisi getting into a top drive anymore.

For the others, it all depends at being at the right place at the right moment. Give any of them a Williams, McLaren or Renault and none of them could pull it off (this year).

No-one would have tought Irvine could be champion. Nevertheless with some more luck (or more bad luck to Hakkinen) he COULD have been WDC in 1999.
He definitely was at the right place at the right time...

I hope next year, Mclaren manages to produce a car like they did in 1984-1986, 1988-1991 or 1998-1999 and JPM and Kimi are in for a chance.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 10:55 (Ref:953339)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All of them have a chance except for Fisichella, who has consistantly found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, and hasn't shone so far this season, at a time when he needed to.

I think the most likely to become a champion is Kimi, but Button's chances have really increased so far this year. Montoya is enigmatic and might find hismelf in the wrong team next year (although it should be mroe competitive by 2006), and Webber and ALonso have both been shaky this season.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 10:55 (Ref:953340)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I reckon any two or three from the top five - JPM, Kimi, Jense, Webber and Alonso. As you say Wrex, unlikely they'll all be, though - irrespective of talent...

If I really had to put money on it, I'd say JPM. Or maybe Kimi. Or Jenson... :confused:
Old 27 Apr 2004, 10:56 (Ref:953342)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
By the way it's definitely ...
Old 27 Apr 2004, 11:00 (Ref:953348)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kimi, Alonso and Button IMO.
Montoya could be as well, but he reminds me of Mansell.
Could take a long time and a perfect supercar for him to snatch the title...
Plus Juan Pablo's whining is also something which reminds me of Mansell.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 27 Apr 2004 at 11:03.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 11:18 (Ref:953375)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The same was said of Ronnie Peterson, Gilles Villenneuve, Jean Alesi and too many others to name. And on the way up, no one said it of Damon Hill, or Keke Rosberg. Its just too difficult to say and given That German Fellow's continued proclivity to trounce his opponents, it wouldn't surprise me if none of the names on the list ever earned a WDC. They just might have lost their edge to the NEXT generation before they get a chance.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 11:30 (Ref:953386)   #9
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso - yes!

This season could ruin Kimi for a few years.

Button - maybe.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 11:32 (Ref:953389)   #10
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Button and Kimmi have the best chances at the moment.
Both of them belong to the youngest 7 drivers on the grid.
Both of them are driving a good car.
Both of them have shown good results during some period.

Alonso also might make a good chance.
He is also driving a good car.
And he is about 1 1/2 years younger than Button and Kimmi.
And his results to date don't look bad against the results of Button and Kimmi until 1 1/2 years ago.

And of course Massa would have a very good chance if he manages to get a Ferrari seat.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 11:54 (Ref:953412)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
And of course Massa would have a very good chance if he manages to get a Ferrari seat.
...and learns to drive properly...
Old 27 Apr 2004, 11:54 (Ref:953413)   #12
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of that group only Kimi, JPM and perhaps Webber (if he gets into Williams soon). As mentioned, his age will start to count against him.

That's their potential but in reality, looking at where they are in their careers now and where they're headed or likely to head, they're looking a bit doubtful if Kimi stays at Mac, JPM goes to Mac and Webber goes to Renault not Williams.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 27 Apr 2004, 13:02 (Ref:953513)   #13
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Well, right now, out of those, you know who I think is the most talented. However, seeing as Giancarlo is unlikely to get a top team drive, it has to be Alonso. Button is, of course, also a very strong possibility.

If you would have asked me last year, I would have said Monty. But now that he's going to be at McLaren...
Old 27 Apr 2004, 19:00 (Ref:953836)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Well, who knows?

The point is that given the right equipment,(say, a current Ferrari ) they proberbly all should do it, wether the equipment allows them to do it, we will have to wait and see.

If the Sun (newspaper) is to be believed, Jenson is on his way to Ferrari, If it's true then i can see Jenson doing it.

If Ferrari were to plump for Alonso, he could do it.

If McLaren get theirselves sorted out, JPM and/or Kimi should definatly do it.

If Williams sign Webber, plus get themselves back to the glory days, i can see him getting the job done.

Its all if's and we will have to watch, wait and see.

The only one who is most likely not to see his dream fullfilled is Fisi, age and the unlikelyhood of being picked up by a top team seem to make it a foregone conclusion, but he, imo, backs me up. Tied to a contract with a team manager that didn't allow him to go to another team that possibly could have shown off his skills. Had Benetton been as good as the McLarens/Ferrari's in 98, maybe he could have got the job done?

Last edited by Mr V; 27 Apr 2004 at 19:01.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 21:11 (Ref:953891)   #15
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went for Montoya, Kimi, Button and Alonso. Webber has the pure speed and talent but I think he'll be tied to Jag for too long and may end up as one of those nearly men like Alesi.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 21:21 (Ref:953897)   #16
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Webber Kimmi & Alonso are the future of this sport and WDC's in waiting IMHO
Old 27 Apr 2004, 21:52 (Ref:953925)   #17
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I voted for Alonso as he certainly looks the goods , My heart of course says Webber and I have no doubt he is definately a candidate but of all of them Alonso is the stand out for me.

BTW Wrex im dissapointed a certain U.Katayama isnt on your list , I think he could still do it
Old 27 Apr 2004, 22:41 (Ref:953976)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso. He does impress nearly every race.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 22:54 (Ref:953986)   #19
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that any one of those drivers could become champion with the right machinery but while Schumacher is still around i can't see any of them becoming champion.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 23:33 (Ref:954002)   #20
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for Button, but I also like Webber.

These two guys have some qualities that I feel the others lack. Both of these guys turned there teams around quickly upon there arrival. Jag and BAR were two teams going nowhere, and were the laughing stock of F1, and along come these two drivers, and they are instantly better. They seemingly transformed their respective teams, from a losing mentality, to a winners.

That team building and team leading characteristic, is one of the greatest assets of MS, and is one, that I don't believe JPM, Kimi, Fisi, or Alonso have.

Danica Patrick
Old 28 Apr 2004, 00:09 (Ref:954019)   #21
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
On current form... Jenson Button.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 06:12 (Ref:954164)   #22
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went for:

(1) Kimi, because McLaren can't be this bad for too long;

(2) Webber, because he will leave Jaguar soon and probably find his way to either Williams or Renault, which can challenge for the WDC if the circumstances are right;

(3) Alonso, because he will probably be cherry-picked by Ferrari to replace Schumacher in a couple of years time and Ferrari will do everything it can not to let its technical edge disappear too quickly (unlike Williams back in 98-99!).

BTW, I saw Ukyo at the Aussie GP - he still looks capable of slotting into a F
Old 28 Apr 2004, 06:14 (Ref:954167)   #23
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I was saying before I accidently pressed the return button, I saw Ukyo at the Aussie GP - he still looks capable of slotting into a F1 car and ramming it around the track!
Old 28 Apr 2004, 06:43 (Ref:954191)   #24
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Old 28 Apr 2004, 07:44 (Ref:954236)   #25
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Errrr, who is Monotya?