Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Oct 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2780675)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
your favourite era of racing..

Originally Posted by p261brm
Historic racing today? being not a driver, but still involved, probably as such, an opinion dose not realy count, got to be any Goodwood Revival, though the Christies/Coys were also memorable. Top race's ever involved? it has to be the Targa Florio, age does have it's priviledges, and the generation's sinced it ceased have been denied a spectical and ambiance second to none, followed closely by Spa 1000kms, Spa as it was and should still be.

this got me thinking.... whilst I sadly cannot claim to have seen Targa Florio in period I do have great memories as a child watching silouettes racing at Silverstone in what was probably the early/mid 70's. The Skoda and Beetle where the two cars to stick in my mind most.
Interestingly I used to go to Silverstone a lot in the 60's as well but have no memory of the racing so I can only assume it was not as exciting to a young lad (although to redeem myself I do recall frequently being scared witless in a Lotus Cortina a friend of my mother's drove!!)
Old 26 Oct 2010, 10:02 (Ref:2780684)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting idea, Simon, but if this develops, I'll have to send it to the Motorsport History forum.

I suppose for me, though, the truth is that I have always watched a lot of Historic Racing going back to the Griffiths formula back in the 60's. I have, of course, also been (and still go) to a fair few contemporary race meetings, and one of my favourites was the 1971 Martini International; quite appropriate given the discussion regarding the new HSCC 2 litre series. In those days it was run by AMOC, the only marque club allowed to run an International race.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 10:56 (Ref:2780700)   #3
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I wasn't old enough to actually be around for the "good stuff" () so I can only say what has captured my imagination. What I am drawn to differs from racing type to type and who was around in those classes at the time:

F1 - late 1970s to early 1980s (to be fair, I do remember this era)
GT - 1960s
Sports Cars - early to mid 1970s

Who knows why? Apart from F1 in the 1970s and 1980s where I consciously started to absorb motorsport I only have articles, DVDs and documentaries to go on (eg Speed Merchants on DVD giving a rough account of what it was like in Sports Car racing in the 1970s for instance)
Old 26 Oct 2010, 11:05 (Ref:2780705)   #4
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 80's Group A Touring car Days Proper Saloon racing at its best.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 11:33 (Ref:2780715)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jason,

I think you have a point but I'd go from 1970 to 1986, to bring in the Group 2 touring cars as well.

Then the Group 5 sports protos through to Group C from the same period. That would then allow the Porsche 935 and 956 into the mix.

As to Formula 1 from 1977 to 1985 it was sheer development all the way, with outlandish turbo charged beasts starting with the Renault and finishing with the Hondas.
So on balnce for many reasons the period from 1970 to 1985 was an outstanding era of motorsport.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 16:30 (Ref:2780819)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep,70s and 80s were the best years for all racing. More of a 'gentlemanly' approach plus I think that the drivers tried harder,these days its often the case whereas once you have gotten past someone,they seem to give up.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2780894)   #7
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Often I think the ers you are drawn to is more to do with an event or a social situation you found yourself in at the time - rather tlike a piece of music.

For me F1 would have to be late 1970's to late 1980's/early 1990. My best mate's dad was chief flag at Brands and my introduction to F1 was sitting on the infield of Paddock at Brands in his SD1 V8 in pouring rain. I was hooked from then on.

Touring cars - the times when Capris were battling it with Vitesses and then the Cossies took over...only to be beaten by the M3's

Sports cars and GT's - has to be late 1950's to late 1960's respectively. The cars really were the stars and raced by some real characters
Old 26 Oct 2010, 21:10 (Ref:2780905)   #8
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I think late 60s/ early 70s for F1, as the cars looked different, and reshaped every year, and there were so many potential winners. Which allows 917s and 512s in, plus minis, Lotus Cortinas, Mustangs, Galaxies, etc, in saloons.

I would LOVE to go back to Donington 1938 though... WOW!
Old 26 Oct 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2780925)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
60s saloon cars were great to watch in period. More power than handling before they started to get "trick" !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Oct 2010, 22:29 (Ref:2780931)   #10
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I would LOVE to go back to Donington 1938 though... WOW!
Good call!!
Old 28 Oct 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2781632)   #11
DAYTONASME
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oulton Park's my local
DAYTONASME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weaned on a staple diet of VSCC, JDC and AMOC racing/hillclimbing I have good memories of the Lloyds and Scottish Historic Championship - the late Bruce Halford, Gerry Marshall and Hon Patrick Lindsay + Neil Corner, Willie Green, Richard Bond, Simon Phillips and Michael Bowler in a plethora of 250F's, Dino's and Aston Martin DBR4's.

I agree - Donington in '38 must have been great, but I think some of the sportscar racing in the late 50's and mid '60's must have been exciting....

Group A saloons and the ETCC with the XJS's, 550 bhp Sierra's and the sonorous RX7's was good too.

Ed
Old 28 Oct 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2781644)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
60's for me, what Gordon said applied to most production based cars

although anything up to 70's has an appeal when it was run what yer brung which was largely a std car. massive appeal on all levels, and something more people can relate to.
Old 28 Oct 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2781718)   #13
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, Super/Special saloons , (That was what was racing at Oulton in mid 70's), 935's
etc,BTCC with Sierra Cosworths (followed round most of the circuits as all close to Oxford).
Andy.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 08:22 (Ref:2783260)   #14
BILTEL
Racer

England
Brackley, centre of the Earth
BILTEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Jason,

I think you have a point but I'd go from 1970 to 1986, to bring in the Group 2 touring cars as well.

Then the Group 5 sports protos through to Group C from the same period. That would then allow the Porsche 935 and 956 into the mix.

As to Formula 1 from 1977 to 1985 it was sheer development all the way, with outlandish turbo charged beasts starting with the Renault and finishing with the Hondas.
So on balnce for many reasons the period from 1970 to 1985 was an outstanding era of motorsport.
I agree with Peter 100%.

You took the words right out of my errmm keyboard(?)

Vitesse
XJS
C9

I loved the Cossie, but there was too many of them and they helped to water down the BTCC.
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
for the 360, CTCRC Pre 93's
Old 1 Nov 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2783485)   #15
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me as well 68 to 85,
1 litre F3, 1.6 & 2 litre F2 & F3 all had a good mix of chassis & engines.
Club level single seaters were alway good to watch, & F1 was interesting.

Great Saloon & Sports car racing at both club & international level.

Then it all went one make, saloons, single seaters, & watching the grass grow became more interesting.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 1 Nov 2010, 17:41 (Ref:2783561)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I missed F3 and F2. In those years we had Derek Warwick, Nelson Piquet, Mansell, Brundle and of course Senna in F3. Not to mention in F2 we had Fabi, Cheever, Warwick (again), Henton, the Ralt chassis against the Marches, Rad dougall et al.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2783569)   #17
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess my experience is each era is worse than the previous one,as the spectator is moved further from the action.So the first one I encountered in the 50s must be my favourite!