Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Jul 2001, 05:22 (Ref:122415)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pit stop rules

With all the arguments about whether teams should be allowed to pit under safety car periods or not, i was wondering why they don't change back to an old rule. If i had my why, safety cars would be done away with and we'd be back to how we used to be, but i know thats not possible, so why don't the V8s in the pit stop races use the old FIA safety car procedure. Although it wasn't popular at Bathurst, AVESCO obviously wants people to stop under green, and this safety car system encourages you to stop under green, while still letting pit under yellow. If you come in under safety car, and manage to complete your stop before the last car behind the safety car passes the pit entrance, you can join the train, but if you miss it, then you lose a lap.That would encourage green flag stops, and bring more strategy in.
Old 27 Jul 2001, 05:50 (Ref:122430)   #2
DMC
Racer

Australia
DMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see anything wrong with pitting under the safety car but there is far too much use of the safety car in the Shell Series especially at Bathurst where they bring it out every time a cloud passes by.

I think that AVESCO should revise their track clearing methods to allow for a quicker return to full racing conditions after an accident and the circuits should have winches or cranes installed like in Formula One to allow wrecked cars to be cleared with no distrubtion to the racing.

Back to the pitstops, I think they are usless in the short distance races that make up the majority of the Shell Series. The races should be lengthened and the cars allowed to pit when they want. I tihnk the idea of a "pit-window" is ridiculous as is the compulsory pitstop. A car should only pit if it requires a refuel or new tires etc. Tony Cochrane is using pitstops as a crowd pleasing gimmick.
Old 27 Jul 2001, 11:02 (Ref:122526)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem is that cranes and winches cost money that isn't there...

Although a lot of it I think it who is in control of the race. A few race meetings ago (at a state level mind you) a car rolled 4 times at the first turn at QR, and wound up in the middle of the sandtrap. They waved a local yellow for a lap or two, nothing else. If it were an SCS round...well it'd be red flag time...
Old 28 Jul 2001, 12:38 (Ref:122972)   #4
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That pitting under safety car thing doesn't make sense. If you don't complete the stop before the train passes you lose a lap? What if you are last to begin with?

I don't see the need for the pit window, even with compulsory pit stops. Just make it that you are not allowed to stop on the last lap and let everyone else figure it out for themselves.

I don't see cranes working either. Firstly, you need somewhere to put the cars after they are taken off the circuit. Secondly, you need a crane that isn't too expensive which can lift 1350kg of V8 Supercar...and more importantly, not do any damage to the car. And finally, notice that the cranes are only ever used where the crane can reach the cars. If you take Oran Park, it could only work at one corner if some space is made as no where else is either close enough, safe enough (ie not having the crane in the middle of the track), or has enough space for the crane or cars without ruining totally, spectator views.
Old 28 Jul 2001, 13:29 (Ref:123008)   #5
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By using a pit window you are virtually guaranteeing that commentary cannot figure out WTH is going on and that 99% of cars will come in the first available lap.

pesonally either do away with pit stops altogether (except where necessary for refuellig OR make the pit window anywhere from lap 1 to the chequered flag.

As it is now it is an absolute and ridiculous joke that ensure there is no racing on the track.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 11:37 (Ref:123739)   #6
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, Oran Park went from being very close to the cars being spread all around the track very quickly and then it stayed that way. Pit stops split up a field that could lap within a second of itself.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 12:03 (Ref:123758)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

Seeing as you mentioned Oran Park....I heard this evening that there were BIG complaints at OP over the new facilities - garages too small, uneven floors, insufficient everything in the media centre.

Any one there that confirm or deny these?
Old 30 Jul 2001, 13:09 (Ref:123780)   #8
elephino
Veteran

I'm glad you asked that question. You'd think I knew something about this....

Uneven floors would probably depend on your definition of uneven. They appeared to be quite even...just on a slant as the road goes downhill. It wouldn't have been too difficult to make it flat really.

The pit garages were basically the length of the cars in width so it would be impossible to bring two cars in for a pitstop if they were next to eachother. I wouldn't be surprised if it was worked out that they would warn the teams either side they were coming in to avoid problems.

Now the media centre...hmm...I shouldn't really be commenting as I wasn't meant to be in there but I wasn't hanging around outside in the wind and cold all day. Anyway, it wasn't very big, light on facilities, cheap carpet, nice balcony (good thing it was winter as it is made totally of metal), didn't notice air-con at all but might have missed it, same cheap carpet on the balcony, still no space. On the other hand it was flat.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 13:26 (Ref:123788)   #9
RaceTime
Veteran

Hehe - thought you might know something about it..so here goes...

Sorry - by size I actually meant <b>both</b> the pit bay outside the garage <b>and</b> the garage itself - both are reputed to be small and the floor inside the garage was supposedly rough and/or uneven.

Where was the mdeia centre? The one in the Hacenda or have they finally built a new one?
Old 30 Jul 2001, 13:43 (Ref:123793)   #10
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you think the garages are bad you should see the medical centre!
Old 1 Aug 2001, 00:41 (Ref:124535)   #11
Dynamic
Rookie

Dynamic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oran park pits

If Cochrane introduced pit stops to add to the entertainment why is the speed limit at a bl.... stupid 40 kph. That is just boring. Pit stops produce confusion for the spectators at the track because they cant see what is going on in the pits.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 05:53 (Ref:124591)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome aboard Morris and Dynamic!

BTW Morris- I hope you didn't have to visit the medical center.... is it still the shed out the back with the national flag painted on the roof?
Old 1 Aug 2001, 12:06 (Ref:124708)   #13
elephino
Veteran

The garages didn't seem very big inside either. Looked smaller than Eastern Creek's, which I've never thought of as big (mind you, you can squeeze 3 Volvos in at the right angle), in width and definitely not as deep. Can't comment on roughness as I didn't check, but Larkhams was quite smooth with its decorug floor (this advertisement was not paid for by anyone).

The media centre was one of the corporate rooms essentially. It was located at the western end of the new pits (above Imrie and TKR). Not very big, but still bigger than the old one. Then again a phone booth is bigger than the old one.