Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Jun 2001, 03:38 (Ref:106053)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats Skaifes Problem

Having just seen footage of Skaife's dummy spit at Canberra my question is Whats His Problem????????????
Old 17 Jun 2001, 03:46 (Ref:106054)   #2
tickfordchick
Racer

tickfordchick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he has a SUPERIORITY complex ...
Old 17 Jun 2001, 06:11 (Ref:106067)   #3
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skaife was clearly miffed at the shenanigans going on between Steve Reed and Rodney Forbes. Several regular posters on this forum are quick to constantly label Forbes as a buffoon and now here he is in yet another incident with a similarly dim-witted driver in Steve Reed and unfortunately Skaife was caught up in this.

When you’re a nobody tailing around on the rear of the field like Reed and Forbes this incident means nothing in the big championship picture but to involve Skaife – a serious championship contender who needs all the points he can muster come the end of the year - who can blame the guy for letting of a little steam.

Everyone seems to have it in for HRT - it's the classic tall poppy syndrome. Don’t hate HRT for being so good at what they do – be angry with every other team for not pulling their finger out and catching them.
Old 17 Jun 2001, 06:28 (Ref:106073)   #4
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
I think it is more an issue that Skaife doesn't have chips on his shoulders there railway sleepers
Old 17 Jun 2001, 11:48 (Ref:106137)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not saying whether Skaife did the right thing or not, but I don't appreciate Forbes and Reed being called dim-witted. While I haven't met Steve Reed, I have met Rodney Forbes and he is far from dim-witted and definitely not a buffoon.

And I don't see what difference it makes that Skaife is battling for the championship and Forbes and Reed are battling for 20th (or wherever). They are all out there racing, they are all out there doing their best. It's also up to Skaife not to get involved in other people's incidents more than it is for other people to get out of Skaife's way.
Old 17 Jun 2001, 12:15 (Ref:106142)   #6
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lucky it wasnt Skaifey instead of Ambrose (?) behind Tratt or it would of given him something else to winge about!
Old 18 Jun 2001, 03:29 (Ref:106326)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But hey, plenty of people have sprays at other drivers/teams, and 99% of them don't get filmed and stuck on TV. I don't agree with what Skaife did, but hey, if he gets hauled over coals for it I'd be pretty disappointed.

I always wonder how drivers at State Level races can get charged with something when there is no video footage, but then V8 drivers get off because of a lack of it....go figure
Old 18 Jun 2001, 05:23 (Ref:106338)   #8
MadMick
Rookie

MadMick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by elephino
While I haven't met Steve Reed, I have met Rodney Forbes and he is far from dim-witted and definitely not a buffoon.

It's also up to Skaife not to get involved in other people's incidents more than it is for other people to get out of Skaife's way.
G'day elephino

I can't speak for Forbes, but I have met Steve Reed and he is NO buffon, Forbes could certainly change his driving habits though.

While I agree that there shouldnt really be a difference between the drivers on the track ,you cant help the fact that some are a lot faster than others.

While I also agree that Skaife may have gone a bit far in chewing Trevor Ashby out, don't forget the the Lansvale team accused Skaife of causing that incident and he had nothing to do with it apart from not being able to avoid it and stuffing his car in the process.

BTW , right on Buckshot

Last edited by MadMick; 18 Jun 2001 at 05:25.
Old 18 Jun 2001, 06:03 (Ref:106343)   #9
tickfordchick
Racer

tickfordchick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
Several regular posters on this forum are quick to constantly label Forbes as a buffoon and now here he is in yet another incident with a similarly dim-witted driver in Steve Reed

When you’re a nobody tailing around on the rear of the field like Reed and Forbes
hmmmm ... buffoon ... dim-witted ... a nobody ... ??? that's OFFENSIVE. me thinks that Buckshot similiarly suffers the Skaife/HRT SUPERIORITY complex ...
Old 18 Jun 2001, 09:05 (Ref:106368)   #10
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are salient comments about the driver of the car bearing number 1 on this thread:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=10800

Steve Reed and Trevor Ashby are genuine enthusiasts, enjoying racing at the level they can afford and generally not doing anything to cause grief to anyone.

I cannot speak for Rodney Forbes, he has failed to impress me so far, but the kind of backing and tuition his father has given him over the years should have equipped him with a good level of reasonableness. But I reserve my opinion about his input to this incident.
Old 18 Jun 2001, 10:13 (Ref:106393)   #11
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, i thought the footage very interesting and don't mind a little agro at all in the coverage! And I must also admit to letting out a dirty big cheer when they showed Skaife in the pits with a crumpled front end. Aaahhh, the sweet pure joy felt by thousands of Ford fans across the country, one of those magic moments.
I don't know him at all but he doesn't come across as a real nice guy on those silly V8 Superstar specials does he?More like a private school boy with his head stuck up...
Anyway, we should see more of this stuff in the coverage, imagine Crompton and Plato "talking" after Bathurst last year! Logie award winning footage and we never saw a single frame!!
Old 18 Jun 2001, 13:07 (Ref:106445)   #12
redback
Racer

redback should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What problem? Bring it on

If you can't qualify or race at the front you don't deserve to be there. Ditch the reverse grid and get the weekend warrior "enthusiasts" to race something else more their speed.

Didn't Ingall already get busted for his outbursts about these guys before?

Also, I agree with you AJ I've met Crompton a few times and while butter wouldn't melt on TV it's a different story when the cameras are off, come to think of it aren't you one to speak your mind also?
Old 18 Jun 2001, 16:40 (Ref:106481)   #13
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To all the Skaife knockers,

You may have your reasons for disliking this guy, but through all of my dealings with him. I have had found him to be pleasant, polite, always eager to help. As a young child running around the pits, taking the teams their official time sheets. He was the only driver to ever take the time to have a quick chat to me, and to thank me sincerely for bringing him his time sheet.

Recently I have needed his input in a few projects I have had, which are race organisation related and he would receive no personal gain from. He was extremely helpful, answering all of my questions thoughtfully and thoroughly.

Another thing about Mark Skaife is that a number of times down at Phillip Island after a race, he has taken time out of his own schedule to go to the post race officials BBQ and thank the officials for their work, as well as giving many a photo opportunity.

Now I am not saying he is the nicest guy in the world to everybody, but remember he is still human, and he is still a racing car driver. So of course he is prone to bursts of emotion every now and then, and I am suprised he doesn't do it more often.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 13:07 (Ref:106855)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you Vandas for that insight, a side of Skaife that we never see or hear about.

I must admit that like most of the other armchair experts in this discussion I've never actually met the man, I've just developed a preconception of his personality based on his public persona.

Redback, I'm very concerned by your suggestion that anyone who can't win or qualify on the front row shouldn't be there. There are 32 cars in each Shell series round and only two spots on the front row. The thing about sport is that we can't all win, but isn't just having a go something to be proud of?
Old 19 Jun 2001, 13:16 (Ref:106859)   #15
Ray Bell
Veteran

Even getting a car to the grid can be an accomplishment, can't it David?

You make a good point. There will only ever be one winner in a race, one pole position, not getting that doesn't disqualify one, in fact, if there were no placegetters the winner's achievements would be lessened.
Old 21 Jun 2001, 13:31 (Ref:107874)   #16
redback
Racer

redback should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that David and Ray have missed my point. On several occasions on this forum we have discussed race formats, reverse grids etc. My point is that when we had sprint races with no pit stops the faster guys were at the front (not just front row but say top 10)and the slower guys at the back. It was only if the quick guys DNF'd or had some other problem that they were in a situation to be amongst the slower guys. The reverse grid and compulsory pit stops puts the slower guys in amongst the quick guys and because of it they are now in a race for place situation and they don't have to yield to the faster car. We then get the Skaife and Ambrose situations. Skaife is a good guy, I am a Ford fan but I still respect Skaife's ability and I had no problem with how he reacted on the weekend
Old 22 Jun 2001, 00:29 (Ref:108114)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is dead true. The problem however this days is that there really aren't any "slower" cars. These days, the gap between 1st and 32nd might only be a second or two. When that second or two is spread around the racetrack, there is very little opportunity for the "fast" guys to get through. And at Canberra, there would be only 2 or 3 overtaking spots at best, and you really have to pounce on them...
Old 22 Jun 2001, 00:45 (Ref:108122)   #18
Ray Bell
Veteran

It's the artificiality of it all that really grates with most. Irrespective of opportunities for lesser lights to show their stuff, it's mucking around with the faster cars' chances of outright victory, putting an extra element of chance in to detract from ability.
Old 27 Jun 2001, 02:45 (Ref:110170)   #19
thompson_fan
Racer

thompson_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok here's the real story.

Reed missed a gear out of turn 2, Forbes braked to avoid hitting him and Skaife got caught up in it.

When Skaife went the the Lansvale pit garage some1 accused him of causing the accident that's why he was argueing with someone when the cameras were on him.
Old 27 Jun 2001, 08:37 (Ref:110209)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oddly, this is a little familiar, last weekend I was tucked in very close behind another car through a tight corner when he missed a gear and I ran into the back of him. Damage was minimal but I went and apolgised to him immediately, he was cool about it and I was OK, but all the bystanders and hangers-on made arses of themselves by trying to make a big thing out of it.
Old 12 Jul 2001, 10:27 (Ref:116056)   #21
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Just further to this after watching The Whinger tell the audience on V8 Superstars that he couldn't believe that Steve Reed missed a gear at Canberr. He then carried on all high and might it makes me wonder which car was it at Adelaide that was going down the back staright with racecam on when the driver missed a gear and spun hummmm............
I think Skaife should get a medal for being able to talk on tv with both feet in his mouth.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 03:39 (Ref:124572)   #22
HoldenAngel
Rookie

HoldenAngel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Everyone seems to have it in for HRT - it's the classic tall poppy syndrome. Don’t hate HRT for being so good at what they do – be angry with every other team for not pulling their finger out and catching them.
Once again I agree with Buckshot - no matter what it is in this country we are always quick to bring the great ones down. Or they wait for something so insignificant to happen (ie a dummy spit) and they make a mountain out of a mole hill.

You dont see Skaife lose it often, but when he does he has a good reason for it. For example the whole deal at Calder Park with the stop go penalty.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 13:01 (Ref:124731)   #23
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:
Hey it ain't all tall poppy syndrome,I have always had it in for the boofhead even when he had the Laser!!!
Old 2 Aug 2001, 04:29 (Ref:125058)   #24
Ray Bell
Veteran

Depends on what you mean by "had the Laser"... I don't think he ever owned anything he raced...
Old 2 Aug 2001, 13:33 (Ref:125199)   #25
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Morris 1100
Hey it ain't all tall poppy syndrome,I have always had it in for the boofhead even when he had the Laser!!!
You've got to admire consistency - particularly in a BMC product!