Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Jul 2001, 07:13 (Ref:121433)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KMart Racing Announce Enduro Lineup and Pairings

Wednesday, July 25, 2001

‘BIG BROTHER’ TO WATCH OVER
KMART RACING TEAM’S 2001 ENDURANCE LINE-UP

‘Big Brother’ will be watching Rick Kelly when he joins the Kmart Racing Team for this year’s V8 Supercar endurance races.

Eighteen-year-old Kelly joins his older brother Todd in the team for the season’s biggest and most important races – next month’s Queensland 500 and the Bathurst 1000 in October.

“Winning a seat with one of the series’ best teams for the biggest races of the year is a dream come true, and being able to race alongside Todd in the same team is a huge bonus,” a delighted Rick Kelly, who will be making his V8 Supercar debut, said.

“While Todd will be taking notice of what I’m doing, I’m sure he will be concentrating more on his own efforts. But any help and advice from him will certainly be appreciated.”

Todd will co-drive the team’s lead car, the #15 Kmart Racing Team Holden VX Commodore, with regular team-mate Greg Murphy.

“I’ll have plenty to do myself, but don’t worry, I’ll be watching Rick, that’s for sure … maybe just to see that he’s not doing too good, if you know what I mean,” 21-year-old Todd laughed of his younger brother’s signing.

“Actually, I think Rick will be fine. He’s a very good driver and will do well. There’s also plenty of experience within the team and, if it’s needed, he’ll be able to get the right advice at the right time. I am really looking forward to racing alongside him.”

Rick’s appointment is a result of his successful move from karting through Formula Ford and onto Formula Holden over the past two seasons – Kelly currently leading the Formula Holden series in his rookie year with the Holden Young Lions/Birrana outfit.

“Rick is a tremendous talent who has an incredible future ahead of him and we are delighted to have him join our team,” said Kmart Racing Team team manager Rob Crawford.

“The last two seasons have been hectic and eye-opening for Rick and these races will be just the same. He will have a lot to learn, but I am sure he will acquit himself well and the experience gained will be extremely valuable for the remainder of his career.”

Completing the Kmart Racing Team endurance line-up is Nathan Pretty – the 26-year-old driver will team with Rick Kelly in the #51 Kmart Racing Team Holden VX Commodore.

Pretty drove the TWR Australia-run Holden Young Lion’s Commodore with Todd Kelly during last year’s endurance races, the pair running second in the Queensland 500 before mechanical problems ended their race and finishing a creditable fifth in the FAI 1000 at Bathurst.

“Nathan’s signing is the reward for both his recent testing performances and his proven results with the Young Lions squad during last year’s races,” Crawford said.

“Last year Nathan filled the role superbly, doing everything that was asked and not putting a foot wrong in extremely difficult circumstances. We are delighted to have him as part of the Kmart Racing Team.”

“Joining a team the calibre of the Kmart Racing Team certainly makes up for any down time I have had during the year,” said Pretty, who has not raced a V8 Supercar since last year’s Bathurst 1000.

“The team’s speed during the season to date show their competitiveness and they’re giving me a wonderful opportunity to back-up last year’s results. I cannot tell you enough how excited I am about that and how I am looking forward to taking part in the most important part of the season with them.”

Both Pretty and Rick Kelly tested the Kmart Racing Team Commodores at Calder Park Raceway on 5 July, the pair impressing with their speed and critical feedback.

While Crawford is confident the team’s two new additions will perform well, he said the major focus of the Kmart Racing Team would be on its lead car with drivers Greg Murphy and Todd Kelly.

“Both Greg and Todd are fighting for championship positions and, with the bonus points on offer, it is critical that they finish both races – that’s our objective and if we achieve that, then everyone will benefit,” he said.

“Rick and Nathan will provide the lead car with great back-up and I am sure they will do everything that is required of them and complete a tremendous job for themselves, the team and our sponsors.”

The Queensland 500 will take place at Queensland Raceway, Ipswich on 25/26 August, with the Bathurst 1000 run at Mount Panorama on 4-7 October.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 07:50 (Ref:121440)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nathan Pretty, pretty talented but how is it we haven't seen him for 2 years but last year he gets the HYL drive and this year he gets another TWR drive. Don't have a problem with him, but why can't he get a regular drive
Old 25 Jul 2001, 10:17 (Ref:121482)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
dont know what people see in nathan pretty, nothing against him, but why dont he do the konica series ...... great news for rick kelly, as one sided as the formula holden series is - rick can drive
Old 25 Jul 2001, 12:58 (Ref:121538)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best of luck boys....but what does WW have to do??
Old 25 Jul 2001, 14:39 (Ref:121575)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
The story on nathan is this ...he ran his own car in 1999 and 2000 an old VS commodore and did an awesome job and he was rewarded with a drive with the young lions in the enduro's last year and also performed well..the reason you havent seen him is because he sold everything he has or is still trying too ..but the VS is gone and he was hoping to buy a VT to run in the shell series..but thankfully he has been given the chance again to prove he desrves a shot.

he is currently driving in the V8 brute series and has also just become the Australian jet sprint boat champion at which he is awesome in as well..so its not as if he hasnt been around its just that he hasnt been in the spotlight
and he is a great guy to boot ..always ready to lend a hand when needed and in fact the whole pretty family is a great bunch of people and they derserve this opportunity to help nathan make his name in the sport.

and Rick Kelly should do rather well too..he has proved he is very good in Formula Holden and should be OK in a V*.
Old 26 Jul 2001, 08:45 (Ref:121967)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
nathan sounds a bit like my cousin in the US, memo , sold everything bar his go karts and it has paid of for the meantime - best of luck to nathan

ps : nathan ran as high as 2nd in qld 500 late in the race didnt he
Old 26 Jul 2001, 22:42 (Ref:122305)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah...but David Besnard qualified third for the 500 last year
Old 3 Aug 2001, 07:59 (Ref:125489)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They must have caught him on a good day.

He had another one last week as well, that's two in 12 months.