Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 14 Feb 2002, 21:11 (Ref:216062)   #1
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your most memorable moments for GPL

What has been your most memorable moment from GPL?? Winning at the Nurburgring? Beating Jim Clark at Silverstone?

Mine would have to be my first and so far only win, at Silverstone, starting from 4th on the grid in the Lotus and beating Jim Clark, Graham Hill, and several others to win in particularly dominant fashion.

Another would have to be closing up to Jim Clark at Silverstone in a championship race, right on his tailpipe until my engine started to sputter and smoke coming down the Hangar straight in Clark's draft... I would have won too!!

What would yours have to be?
Old 14 Feb 2002, 21:57 (Ref:216103)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A win of any kind in GPL is an amazing achievement. I did mine at Monza. I'd practiced there for hours and hours and hours. I even bought a steering wheel just to play this one game (although it's come in handy on a lot of others since). Pole position, first place and fastest lap. I felt a real sense of achievement, more so than in any other computer game. But then again, let's face facts, GPL isn't a racing game, it's a racing simulation. Even though I'm hooked on SCGT and the Le Mans track at the moment, there's still nothing to touch the realism (and difficulty) of GPL.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 14 Feb 2002 at 21:58.
Old 14 Feb 2002, 22:03 (Ref:216113)   #3
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
buying it cheap then promptly breaking my usb port so i cant play it?
Old 14 Feb 2002, 22:19 (Ref:216137)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Es Nes
buying it cheap then promptly breaking my usb port so i cant play it?
I take it your wheel is USB only? Mine is both USB and the "other" port (the name of which escapes me for the moment!!).
Old 14 Feb 2002, 22:29 (Ref:216148)   #5
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
I have that Nascar Thrustmaster wheel. It's cool-Its got a little sequential shifter like what the Btcc guys have right next to the wheel as well as those buttons behind the wheel like an F1 car. 4 other buttons are on the wheel itself. Unfortunetly, my little shifter thingy broke (The only direction it works in now is forward so I use that to downshift. It broke while I was going up to 5th gear on the cooper straight on TOCA 2, and I just managed to finsh in that gear!) We're getting a little off topic here but that's okay
Old 14 Feb 2002, 22:34 (Ref:216157)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't find a copy of the game anywhere...
Old 14 Feb 2002, 23:23 (Ref:216189)   #7
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

I take it your wheel is USB only? Mine is both USB and the "other" port (the name of which escapes me for the moment!!).
yup! lol
Old 15 Feb 2002, 00:35 (Ref:216229)   #8
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
I can't find a copy of the game anywhere...
Keep looking !! I`m sure you`ll find it

It has been re-released I`m pretty sure , because I`ve seen it here in Australia in the new DVD style box

Have a search through the 'Bargain Bins' at your local games shops
Old 15 Feb 2002, 01:00 (Ref:216238)   #9
Matt Lucas
Racer

Matt Lucas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most memorable moment was when I fired up Nurburgring with all the graphical updates including Simon Stobbards sky box - what a change from the original. Changed the whole feel of the game and lead to a download frenzy!

Matt
Old 15 Feb 2002, 01:15 (Ref:216243)   #10
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Yeah- I downloaded a lot of tracks such as Brands Hatch (it's a pretty screwed up version), Goodwood, Snetterton, Le Mans, and Riverside. They're all fantastic.
Old 15 Feb 2002, 10:43 (Ref:216365)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Naturally enough, I downloaded the Le Mans track! I haven't done too much downloading for GPL, aside from menu screens and so on and, of course, the all-important set-ups - they make all the difference.
Old 15 Feb 2002, 21:35 (Ref:216772)   #12
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Are the setups worth it? I'm not sure weather or not I should try downloading one.
Old 15 Feb 2002, 21:37 (Ref:216774)   #13
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Oh and by the way where can I play GPL online?? :confused:
Old 16 Feb 2002, 14:20 (Ref:217145)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I found the setups very useful indeed, as a self-confessed GPL novice (I still am), I needed some help in the setup area, as trying to do it yourself is pretty complicated. The set up files are also very small, and take very little time to download and install. Worth trying one or two and comparing them to what you normally use on your favourite track to see if they make a difference for you.

I can't help you with online gaming. I've never bothered. (I know I'm just not good enough!!).
Old 16 Feb 2002, 16:34 (Ref:217207)   #15
Julien
Rookie

Julien should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for the setups:
http://eaglewoman.simracing.dk/gpl/

I'll recommand you Alison's setups, they're forgiving and nice to start with.

For online racing you need to download a little program called WinVROC:
http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/vroc/

you have to download the version 1.2.01 of gpl:
http://www.papy.com/downloads/gpl12_us.exe

here's a link for beginners:
http://accesswave.ca/~positiveg/gpl.html

And another one:
http://hotgrids.racesimcentral.com/

good luck!
Old 18 Feb 2002, 00:43 (Ref:218240)   #16
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Thanks
Old 18 Feb 2002, 13:05 (Ref:218422)   #17
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't remember where I got it but there is a file around that contains a couple hundred or so setups, and it's only a few hundred kb. It's got setups from every car and every track (including a whole load of downloadable tracks) that were used to set extremely fast times, but also ones to improve driveability.

Not that I'm good enough to need different setups. I can qualify around tenth at monza, but I'm training hard and someday I'll win a race.

Best moment: the first time I overtook someone and didn't crash in the next corner from the exitement.
Old 20 Feb 2002, 13:40 (Ref:219452)   #18
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Toth Lol!!

I've had a few Steve Soper-like starts on GPL. The Eagle is the best, if you rev it up all the way, then release the clutch, quick shift up into second gear, it's awesome!
Old 20 Feb 2002, 15:13 (Ref:219496)   #19
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nowadays my starts are usually pretty good, I usually manage to overtake a few. Consistency is my greatest problem. Well, that and car control.
Old 20 Feb 2002, 15:17 (Ref:219500)   #20
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
The same could be said for me. I used to hold the gas and brake down at the same time and when the flag dropped, I would release the brake. I had the "throttle help" on so it didn't overrev the engine. Now, I just have clutch and first gear.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 19:00 (Ref:220215)   #21
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember at Spa getting up to 5th by Masta on the first lap and then crashing the next time around at Eau Rouge...
Old 22 Feb 2002, 11:40 (Ref:220589)   #22
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my best memory is winning the UKGPL division 6 championship. It is an on line series and I won 3 of the races. I did have a lot of luck along the way but I still won. Now all I have to do is get a sub 8min30 around the 'ring and learn the other tracks for the new season of UKGPL. (www.ukgpl.com) Should be interesting
Old 22 Feb 2002, 21:19 (Ref:220875)   #23
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
FJ-Hahah

I always get into the lead or close to it at Silverstone (the Lotus with my setup is immaculate) then blow it on the kerbs at Abbey or Maggots/Chapel.