Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Dec 2017, 08:03 (Ref:3786765)   #751
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Maybe he's been on a booze cruise and stopped by to say hello and set tongues wagging...
I think something like this maybe more likely - I can't see it happening. Remember last year he tested for Subaru and nothing came off that. To me it seems a step backwards, but I guess it's all down to money?
Old 13 Dec 2017, 08:18 (Ref:3786768)   #752
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Shaun Hollamby's tweet was clearly just there to provoke a reaction. It's not as if you had to read between the lines - he basically says as much in the message. I can't believe people are taking the bait.

I'm expecting some big news out of AMD this year, but this isn't it
Old 13 Dec 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3786829)   #753
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Shaun Hollamby's tweet was clearly just there to provoke a reaction. It's not as if you had to read between the lines - he basically says as much in the message. I can't believe people are taking the bait.

I'm expecting some big news out of AMD this year, but this isn't it
Yup.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3786830)   #754
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
The impression I always get with drivers like Tordoff who head off to do GTs is that they’re trying to cut down on their racing budgets by becoming ‘Pro’ drivers.
Yup. The aim was to use the GardX and JCT600 backing to do well and get a pro GT contract. But if that doesn't turn out, you may as well get exposure for your brand in BTCC, rather than the six people watching British GT.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 18:12 (Ref:3786858)   #755
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Yup. The aim was to use the GardX and JCT600 backing to do well and get a pro GT contract. But if that doesn't turn out, you may as well get exposure for your brand in BTCC, rather than the six people watching British GT.
Do the drivers count as watchers?! 🤣
Old 14 Dec 2017, 21:56 (Ref:3787110)   #756
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Likely nothing, but Dan Welch seems to be hyping up the BTCC over on Twitter this evening...
Old 14 Dec 2017, 22:36 (Ref:3787113)   #757
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Don't have the link but there are also a couple of teaser shots of the new Alfa over on Simon Belcher's Facebook page.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 22:39 (Ref:3787115)   #758
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
And obviously more than a bit hacked off with his crappy Citroen a few weeks back. Think we can rule out Dan Welch in a works BTCC Citroen Picasso!
Old 14 Dec 2017, 22:43 (Ref:3787117)   #759
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Don't have the link but there are also a couple of teaser shots of the new Alfa over on Simon Belcher's Facebook page.
Not much on show, doesn't look like it's rolling out a workshop anytime soon... looks like the sponsorship extends to a Giulia road car for Simon.

I wonder how many BTCC cars we'll see at Autosport?
Old 14 Dec 2017, 23:49 (Ref:3787132)   #760
CaptRustyNail
Racer

CaptRustyNail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brisky have canned TCR UK and concentrating with Team Hard and running 2VW's in the BTCC. Not sure if that has been posted here yet.

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2017...-uk-programme/
Old 15 Dec 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3787165)   #761
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
looks like the sponsorship extends to a Giulia road car for Simon.
Stelvio
Old 15 Dec 2017, 12:17 (Ref:3787221)   #762
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Looks like the BTCC is getting more than enough interest for 2018
Old 15 Dec 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3787277)   #763
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where do you think Colin Turkington will end up driving in 2018, he is a two time champion but is seriously underfunded.

In my opinion he is the quiet man of BTCC.
Old 15 Dec 2017, 16:34 (Ref:3787279)   #764
CM388
Racer

CM388 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Where do you think Colin Turkington will end up driving in 2018, he is a two time champion but is seriously underfunded.

In my opinion he is the quiet man of BTCC.
He's still been doing a fair amount of press work for BMW over the off season so I think it's fair to say he'll remain at WSR.
Old 15 Dec 2017, 16:52 (Ref:3787281)   #765
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM388 View Post
He's still been doing a fair amount of press work for BMW over the off season so I think it's fair to say he'll remain at WSR.
Yeah - less than a fortnight ago he was the 'motorsport representative' at a UK launch of the M5, so definitely in the BMW family at the moment.

From his own website in late November -
'“Getting straight back into the BMW and pushing on with our development plans was always going*to be key in coming back stronger next season.* The weather played havoc with our race weekends this year, and in many instances we found ourselves in very cold and damp conditions.* Utilising the winter period was a very straight forward way to strengthen our performance in those undesirable situations.
I love testing and race car development is something I get incredibly passionate about.* Dick Bennetts shares this vision and collectively we’ve been*able to*make great strides forward in our winter programme.* It’s all been made possible by the commitment of BMW and I am extremely thankful for this opportunity.
It will be a few weeks into the*new year before we’re out again*with the 1 series but work will continue at WSR HQ.”'
Old 15 Dec 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3787282)   #766
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am probably being a little thick but with Team Hard/Brisky Racing going to 4 cars (an extra TBL needed for 2018), and Team BMR possibly splitting their 4 Subaru's between BMR and 888 (assuming the MG's are not being run in 2018).

I am presuming that the extra Team Hard TBL has been acquired from 888, and that Team BMR/888 is going to be a 4 car team as opposed to 6 in 2017, then there must be a spare TBL somewhere.

TOCA have announced a full 32 car grid so could a current team be expanding by 1 car, or if a single car team drops out of the championship, then will a new 2 car team arrive for 2018.
Old 15 Dec 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3787293)   #767
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I am probably being a little thick but with Team Hard/Brisky Racing going to 4 cars (an extra TBL needed for 2018), and Team BMR possibly splitting their 4 Subaru's between BMR and 888 (assuming the MG's are not being run in 2018).

I am presuming that the extra Team Hard TBL has been acquired from 888, and that Team BMR/888 is going to be a 4 car team as opposed to 6 in 2017, then there must be a spare TBL somewhere.

TOCA have announced a full 32 car grid so could a current team be expanding by 1 car, or if a single car team drops out of the championship, then will a new 2 car team arrive for 2018.
I'm not sure it's confirmed that the MGs won't be on the grid - so BMR might have a 3/2 split. If a team was to expand, then any one of TD, Speedworks or PMR could be likely.

TD are regulars in putting 3 cars out, they might see it as a better chance to challenge for honours with the new Type-R if it is a 3-car entry?
Old 15 Dec 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3787300)   #768
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
Quote:
Parker seems to be the most likely team to leave - either that or changing cars. Motorbase's 3rd TBL is under licence from WM, so, if they return as planned (now looking unlikely) I guess Motorbase will go back to two cars.

Other than 888 and maybe Ciceley, I think I've heard most teams mention on social media that they plan to return next year, so there's probably not going to be a lot of free space for expansion
Old 15 Dec 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3787303)   #769
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Other than 888 and maybe Ciceley, I think I've heard most teams mention on social media that they plan to return next year, so there's probably not going to be a lot of free space for expansion
Ciceley's main focus right now is the Dubai 24hr. Once that is over, expect BTCC news to appear.

If you visit Adam Morgan's website though, the MacTools redirect gives their next event as Brands BTCC 2018.

http://www.mactoolsracing.com/btcc/2018/drivers/
Old 15 Dec 2017, 22:01 (Ref:3787337)   #770
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So that pretty much says Morgan will be back, which is good
Old 15 Dec 2017, 22:14 (Ref:3787339)   #771
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm not sure it's confirmed that the MGs won't be on the grid - so BMR might have a 3/2 split. If a team was to expand, then any one of TD, Speedworks or PMR could be likely.

TD are regulars in putting 3 cars out, they might see it as a better chance to challenge for honours with the new Type-R if it is a 3-car entry?
Do MG have enough non-written off chassis to fulfil their TBL's?
Old 16 Dec 2017, 03:09 (Ref:3787372)   #772
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Do MG have enough non-written off chassis to fulfil their TBL's?
Did any get written off since the last round of 2017? They fulfilled their TBL requirement that day.
Old 16 Dec 2017, 08:47 (Ref:3787420)   #773
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Parker seems to be the most likely team to leave - either that or changing cars. Motorbase's 3rd TBL is under licence from WM, so, if they return as planned (now looking unlikely) I guess Motorbase will go back to two cars.

I think that the three car team thing goes with the Shredded Wheat sponsorship. (Can you eat three Shredded Wheat? type of thing).
Old 16 Dec 2017, 09:11 (Ref:3787428)   #774
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
The talk of TBLs led me to look at the regulations, which led to this publication on the official website when TBLs where first introduced:

'TOCA will retain two further TBLs in addition to the 30 allocated to teams. These may be loaned to a suitable entrant, but will not be sold or permanently transferred.

TOCA may allow up to two extra cars on top of the 32 TBLs to participate at selected events. These will be as ad-hoc, celebrity or R&D entries and will not gain championship points or count towards eligibility for a TBL.'

The particular part that drew my attention was 'TOCA may allow up to two extra cars on top of the 32 TBLs to participate at selected events.'

What chance TOCA may do this for the first time at the 60th anniversary race at Snetterton?
Old 16 Dec 2017, 11:42 (Ref:3787440)   #775
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The talk of TBLs led me to look at the regulations, which led to this publication on the official website when TBLs where first introduced:

'TOCA will retain two further TBLs in addition to the 30 allocated to teams. These may be loaned to a suitable entrant, but will not be sold or permanently transferred.

TOCA may allow up to two extra cars on top of the 32 TBLs to participate at selected events. These will be as ad-hoc, celebrity or R&D entries and will not gain championship points or count towards eligibility for a TBL.'

The particular part that drew my attention was 'TOCA may allow up to two extra cars on top of the 32 TBLs to participate at selected events.'

What chance TOCA may do this for the first time at the 60th anniversary race at Snetterton?
Snetterton is only licensed for 33 cars (over 2000cc) on the 300 circuit, so you will probably only get 1 extra TBL at most.