Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 1 May 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2191787)   #1
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna

14 years, wow it really seems like it wasn't that long ago. To this day I still struggle to watch the accident or even look at the photos. RIP legend
Old 1 May 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2192159)   #2
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it odd that people struggle to cope 14 years after the death of someone totally unconnected with their real lives. Friends and family maybe, even colleagues, but not random people who never knew him.

I also find it odd that people still forget Mr Ratzenberger's accident on the day before. Not quite the same calibre as Senna I admit (although a force to be reckoned with in GTs), he was regarded as a very talented young driver. If anything it was more sad that this young fresh talent was halted rather than the master at (or after) his peak who will forever live as a legend.
Old 1 May 2008, 21:44 (Ref:2192171)   #3
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn`t say Ratzenburger`s accident was forgotten,but more over shadowed by the loss of life of someone more famous.
I remember to this day as a young lad watching both the accident`s on TV.

To both the Master & the pupil...
R.I.P
Old 1 May 2008, 22:05 (Ref:2192184)   #4
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe
I find it odd that people struggle to cope 14 years after the death of someone totally unconnected with their real lives. Friends and family maybe, even colleagues, but not random people who never knew him.

I also find it odd that people still forget Mr Ratzenberger's accident on the day before. Not quite the same calibre as Senna I admit (although a force to be reckoned with in GTs), he was regarded as a very talented young driver. If anything it was more sad that this young fresh talent was halted rather than the master at (or after) his peak who will forever live as a legend.

I grew up wanting to be just like him and when he died a part of me went also. To watch a hero die is a hard thing to do. I feel to you clearly it is nothing, and that is proven by you belittling me in your post.
One persons death is not more sad than another persons just because he was an up and coming! When you have grown up from the age of 10 watching someone and wanting that person to do well it does effect your life, weather you want it to or not. I was 10 when I first watched Senna race and 20 when he died. That is a long time.
If you have nothing nice to say with regards Senna then don't say anything. This is a thread for people who still wish to pay their respect after all this time. I have read many similar posts in other places by fans that feel the same about other people (some dead for 40 years)and nothing like what you have said is written.

Terribly sorry for not including Roland in this but as you may have noticed no thread appeared for him on the anniversary of his death and to me, not meant in a callous way, he did not mean the same. I guess to quantify that further would be hard and seen as disrespectful by some.

So pay your respects or leave don't have a go at people for the way they feel just because maybe you don't feel the same.

Last edited by MacMan; 1 May 2008 at 22:08.
Old 2 May 2008, 10:32 (Ref:2192439)   #5
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe
I find it odd that people struggle to cope 14 years after the death of someone totally unconnected with their real lives.
I find it sad that such cynicism and cold heartedness be displayed by a young and intelligent person.

When Princess Diana died, did you struggle with the mass outpouring of grief from the British public and indeed the whole world?

Back on topic, RIP Mssrs. Ratzenberger and Senna.
Old 2 May 2008, 11:04 (Ref:2192452)   #6
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes. When she was alive everyone, almost without exception, hated her in every way. The instant she died everyone pretended they loved her and that she was the most important thing in their lives. I hated the hypocracy, both with Senna and Diana.

I've not said I didn't care - at the time, as a 14 year old boy who had watched F1 for a number of years I was indeed in shock for a short time. I'd never confronted death in the sport I enjoyed before, so it was a bit of an eye-opener. But it took weeks rather than months or years to get over it. With Diana I didn't really care in the slightest.
Old 3 May 2008, 08:59 (Ref:2193072)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can I remind you all that this is the Tribute forum and should be treated, accordingly. If you wish to discuss how the deaths of people affect you, which is a perfectly valid subject, please take it to Parc Ferme and start a thread there.

Here we should remember a man who, for whatever reason, touched the lives of many, even beyond motorsport.