Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 17 Aug 2002, 10:57 (Ref:469753)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Crystal Palace Photos

Jack Oliver's Mustang through the 'Glade' - 1966
Attached Thumbnails
cpmust.jpg  
Old 17 Aug 2002, 11:01 (Ref:469754)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The view from South Tower - last corner of the lap.
Attached Thumbnails
cpsouth.jpg  
Old 17 Aug 2002, 11:03 (Ref:469755)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Stewart & Cevert F2 1970.
Attached Thumbnails
cpstew.jpg  
Old 17 Aug 2002, 11:05 (Ref:469756)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Paul Hawkins' GT40 and mike parkes Ferrari 67. Spot the City Gentlemen in the background!
Attached Thumbnails
gt40cp.jpg  
Old 17 Aug 2002, 11:59 (Ref:469750)   #5
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Stewart/Cevert shot looks very much like North Tower to me - if it is, I was standing right behind that Dunlop banner!

Bob Marley
Old 17 Aug 2002, 14:11 (Ref:469757)   #6
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It really was a great circuit wasn't it!
Old 17 Aug 2002, 20:11 (Ref:469759)   #7
Fred Scatley
Racer

Fred Scatley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the "City Gentlemen" are Park Keepers
Old 17 Aug 2002, 23:22 (Ref:469751)   #8
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew
Thanks for the "Hawkeye" pic, he's one of my favourites.
Old 18 Aug 2002, 11:15 (Ref:469749)   #9
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a report in today's Sunday Times that say's if London bids for the 2012 Olympics then Crystal Palace could be used for the stadium. The current sports arena would be torn down and rebuilt. This would still leave room on the site for 2 other stadiums.

Presumably this, should it go ahead, would tear up what little remains of the existing circuit.

Shall we start a "SAVE CRYSTAL PALACE" campagain now ?

Simon
Old 22 Aug 2002, 22:57 (Ref:469760)   #10
Fred Scatley
Racer

Fred Scatley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Real Car, Real Circuit
Attached Thumbnails
dtype.jpg  
Old 27 Nov 2002, 22:52 (Ref:469763)   #11
Guisbro Rod H
Racer

Guisbro Rod H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall that the last meeting was well publisised. The Motoring News editorial commented that the crowd was not as large as they and the organisers anticipated after such publicity. The editor concluded that London didn't deserve a circuit so close to public transport with easy access.

Yes I still miss it from my Southern days. Imagine a flock of Caterhams dicing around that track!

Lets assume (!!!!) that the noise problem could be overcome. What would be the level of spectator support in the current climate?
I suspect that spectators would only go to the high profile meetings such as BTCC, GT, & F3.
Do you agree?
Old 28 Nov 2002, 00:25 (Ref:469761)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
no on the strengh of the last motorsport event at cp (may 2000) there would be huge spectator interest in a limited calendar. However a lot of money would need to be put in for cars to ever race there again
Old 4 Dec 2002, 12:43 (Ref:469764)   #13
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recently looked out the old programmes I have from when my dad took me to Crystal Palace - some great names e.g. Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, James Hunt.

Does anyone recall an old BBC programme called "100 Greatest Sporting Moments" - I have a video copy - it was a F3 race when one J Hunt crashed into another car on the final corner of the last lap and J Hunt got out and tried to land a punch on the other guy!

Was it C.P. where some of the Italian Job was filmed? I thought it was the start/finish straight where the Minis practiced before going to Italy.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 12:45 (Ref:469762)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Appparenty yes it was
Old 4 Dec 2002, 13:16 (Ref:469758)   #15
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Gnomex
Does anyone recall an old BBC programme called "100 Greatest Sporting Moments" - I have a video copy - it was a F3 race when one J Hunt crashed into another car on the final corner of the last lap and J Hunt got out and tried to land a punch on the other guy!
I have that race on video too and what a cracker it was!
Dave Morgan was the guy that James lumped despite the fact that he had his crash helmet on.
Other guys at the front in the race included Dave Walker, Tony Trimmer, Gerry Birrell and Mike Beuttler.
And yes - it was definitely the pit straight where they filmed the Italian Job.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 14:50 (Ref:469765)   #16
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew - you are absolutely spot on about that race. If I remember rightly Murray Walker used a great deal of the "O" word that you don't hear in F1 these days (you remember - "Overtaking").
Old 5 Dec 2002, 19:12 (Ref:469752)   #17
DaveM
Racer

DaveM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember watching that race at the time - I think it was on live. Poor Dave Morgan was trying to extricate himself from his March when Hunt made his assault! And all when the rest of the field were negotiating the last corner and trying to avoid the wreckage. These were indeed the days of overtaking Gnomex, and with the F3s being incredibly close in performance there was often a coming together on the last corner of the last lap as desperation took over.

I seem to remember that this particular shunt was as much Hunt's fault as Morgan's - Morgan had a much better handling car and shutting the door was the only way JH could stay ahead. DM braked much later on the last lap but JH shut the door anyway - maybe a bit ambitious by DM but he didn't deserve a battered helmet (!) for it.