Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 6 Aug 2002, 21:46 (Ref:469499)   #1
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of interest, where did John's money for these very expensive racing cars come from ?

I would guess from a garage of some sorts. There must have been some good contacts to get one of the first customer 917's plus the first Chevron etc etc.

Simon
Old 28 Aug 2002, 08:10 (Ref:469500)   #2
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Groupc, about two-thirds the way down this page there is a set of 4 photos of John Woolfe getting into his 917 at the start of the 1969 Le Mans. They are fascinating photos but awful as well; one lap later he and the car were gone.

http://www.porsche917.com.ar/historia1969_3.htm#LeMans
Old 28 Aug 2002, 10:18 (Ref:469501)   #3
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I agree with you about how sad they are, it seems daft but I almost want to cry out to stop him. It is awful because the photos capture the drama and excitement of the start, but also have the pathos of what is about to happen.

As for the colour scheme, I have never seen a picture of the car in colour. The other 2 917s had coloured noses on them, but not sure of John Woolfe's colour scheme. Maybe an old post by Dr Austin in the Sportscar/GT forum may have a picture of a model of that car?

I am hoping to get the video 'La Ronde Infernale' soon. It is the 1969 Le Mans race and concentrates on the Porsche 908/Ford GT40 battle. However I read somewhere that there is footage from the start of the race and of the aftermath of the crash. Maybe someone out there already has the video and can confirm this?

Finally, has anyone found out how he got his hands on one of the first 917s? Those early cars were meant to be truly horrible to drive, plus in 1969 it was very new. I know John was a respected driver, but it still seems odd they offered such a new car (and one they were pinning future hopes on) to a privateer.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:53 (Ref:469502)   #4
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
I don't think much of Le Mans today I'm afraid - boring cars to watch because they corner on rails and apart from a few, too quiet!
Have to disagree on that one. Le Mans is the only race I attend and it has become an annual pilgrimage for me. The Audi R8s are quiet, but most of the rest are still loud, you get a range of V8s and V12s and with all the different classes there are always thrills and spills. It also has more atmosphere than a season of F1, and more overtaking.

Just being at Le Sarthe is special, although I wish I had been around to see the earlier races. Still cursing that I can't make the Classic race in September, it would have been great to see 917s at full chat round the circuit.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 14:15 (Ref:469504)   #5
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[I am hoping to get the video 'La Ronde Infernale' soon. It is the 1969 Le Mans race and concentrates on the Porsche 908/Ford GT40 battle. However I read somewhere that there is footage from the start of the race and of the aftermath of the crash. Maybe someone out there already has the video and can confirm this?

My brother has this Video and it is really very good, John Woolfe's car is seen and talked about briefly.
You will also see the smoke from the tragic crash rising over the trees telling its own terrible story.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 12:09 (Ref:469505)   #6
Groupc
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Groupc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Woolfe

I wonder if anyone has (or can lead me to) any information on the career of John Woolfe. All I know is that he was killed in his customer Porsche 917 at White House bend on the 1st lap of the 1969 Le Mans race. Of his earlier career I understand he drove Cobras and Chevrons - that's all I have.

I am interested as I am fascinated by Le Mans and all things Porsche, I was surprised to discover John Woolfe had family and business connections near to me in North Bedfordshire.

I was recently very pleased to be able to buy (on Ebay)2 photographs of him/his car taken in the build up to the race and his dreadful accident.

I'd be very grateful to hear anything you may know.

Thanks
Old 10 Dec 2009, 14:00 (Ref:2597308)   #7
AMICALEMANS
Racer

France
AMICALEMANS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you know, that a frenchman wrote a book about John Woolfe.... and there is an interesting topic about this book on autodiva....

Did you know that John Woolfe had some relation with the Burton family ?

http://www.autodiva.fr/forum/viewtop...p=85508#p85508
Old 2 Aug 2002, 11:59 (Ref:469507)   #8
Groupc
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Thank you very much for your reply, better than I dared to expect.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 07:52 (Ref:469508)   #9
Groupc
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Thank you all for the time you have spent sending replies and images. I am delighted to have practically quadrupled my knowledge of John Woolfe in such a short time.

One last favour, if anyone has any images of him at Le Mans in either the Chevron or the Porsche (am I correct in thinking he was at Le Mans in 68 & 69 only?) I would very much like to see some.

Thanks again.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 09:10 (Ref:469509)   #10
Groupc
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
A friend ( Dave Finnegan ) has the car in his workshops near to Sandy in Bedfordshire

In Potton? Many years ago when I was very much on the perifery of motor racing I was introduced to Dave Finnegan by a mutual friend Humphrey Corbett. I managed to join Dave, John Jordan and Tony Trimmer (and others of course) at Brands, as apprentice 2nd gopher, for the Easter round of the Formula Libre Championship. (We all drove down in 'Shunter's' horsebox!). They they were running the F5000 Lola.

Foolishly (and to my constant regret)I wasted the opportunity by swanning around the paddock rather than working. However I'll always remember helping to push the Lola, which couldn't make the start, up the pit lane trying to bump start it, it was incredibly heavy for a single seater. If I recall Tony set fastest lap and subsequently retired. Alo Lawler won in an ex John Watson McLaren - I think.

Happy days and squandered opportunites !
Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:46 (Ref:469510)   #11
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember reading that John Woolfe insisted in starting the race himself, against the advice of Porsche and co-driver, and Porsche test driver, Herbert Linge.......
Old 1 Aug 2002, 20:20 (Ref:469511)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was very sad when I saw on the news that John had been killed. My father was a good friend of his and I remember seeing John testing the unique Chevron B12 which was a B8 but with Repco V8 3 litre F1 engine. I was very young at the time but still remember this well. Apart from the mentioned cars he also raced a McLaren M6B Can Am car, Lola T70 MkIIIB and I think a GT40 at some point. Whenever he was entered in an F.Libre event in one of these cars he was the guy to beat. Most of his cars were blue but with two parallel yellow stripes running down the centreline.
I lived in Cambridge at the time but moved in the early 70s to the Cambs/Beds border area. Here I met Mike Treutlein who lived in the same village and he was John's mechanic on all of his cars and built the unique Chevron. I still see Mike regularly now as he bacame a good family friend. He received his BRDC membership due to his spannering efforts with John. He still goes to most Silverstone meetings and we always end up chatting about John. Mike's daughters both got the racing bug, Louise works for the Bugatti owners club, Jayne is one of the Rollcentre TVR GTO team members. Great that someone has posted an interested in a great racer of the 60s. I'll post some pics of John when I get a chance to dig them out.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 10:41 (Ref:469512)   #13
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John Woolfe McLaren M6B - Silverstone sports GT race 1968.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woolfem6.jpg (70.6 KB, 410 views)
Old 3 Aug 2002, 10:46 (Ref:469513)   #14
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
John Woolfe's 3 litre Repco engined Chevron B12 at Le Mans 1968.
Second driver was Digby Martland. The first Chevron to compete at Le Mans.Retired with blown head gasket after just 3 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b12.jpg (58.0 KB, 402 views)
Old 3 Aug 2002, 10:48 (Ref:469514)   #15
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
John Woolfe's Shelby Cobra - mid 1960s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobra.jpg (53.5 KB, 387 views)
Old 6 Aug 2002, 21:47 (Ref:469515)   #16
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Fred, lovely pic. It is John Woolfe's Lola T70GT Mk3B but not him driving. Just looked in an old programme and the car no.58 entered by John Woolfe Racing was driven by Dickie Attwood in the Guards International group 4 sports race at Snett on Good Friday 4th April 1969. The race was won by Paul Hawkins who lost his life not long afterwards at Oulton.
Not really an anorack honest!
Old 6 Aug 2002, 23:28 (Ref:469516)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Fred, I'm not sure if he sprinted or raced himself but will ask him. I know he did some drag racing in the early 70s. Where did you sprint? Waterbeach?
Old 7 Aug 2002, 07:10 (Ref:469517)   #18
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I have asked Mike Treutlein to take a look at this thread - I know he will be interested - hopefully he will add a few comments / memories.

Last edited by Andrew Kitson; 7 Aug 2002 at 07:12.
Old 10 Aug 2002, 11:04 (Ref:469518)   #19
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
John Woolfe's mechanic Mike Treutlein pulls a wheelie off the startline at the Silverstone summer drag meeting in 1973. The car would do the standing quarter mile in the 9 second bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drag.jpg (42.8 KB, 321 views)
Old 27 Aug 2002, 12:18 (Ref:469519)   #20
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Hi Jayne!
Glad you joined in this thread. A lot of info here I did not know myself despite us having known each other so long!
Welcome to the forum anyway and if your Dad has some pics, perhaps we can post them on this thread?
Cheers
Andy.
Old 1 Apr 2019, 05:21 (Ref:3894591)   #21
Python
Rookie

United States
Santa Monica
Python should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
M6B 50-16

Does anyone out there have any information on johns old M6B 50-16 car ??
I would appreciate any archive pictures, time sheets etc
Also i under stand that David Finnigan owned the car from 1994 to 2003 ?
is that correct and is there any info on what happened to the car
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 20 May 2019, 12:46 (Ref:3904869)   #22
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Does anyone out there have any information on johns old M6B 50-16 car ??
I would appreciate any archive pictures, time sheets etc
Also i under stand that David Finnigan owned the car from 1994 to 2003 ?
is that correct and is there any info on what happened to the car
Any info would be greatly appreciated
David still owns the car.
And is in the process of restoring it.
I have some of the old bodywork for it in my garden!!
Old 28 Aug 2002, 08:32 (Ref:469520)   #23
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
AllonFS, never seen those pics before. How terribly sad - Unbelievable when I think back to seeing the news of this tragedy that it was 33 years ago. Thanks for the link.
I notice John had what looks like his usual blue and yellow stripes along the centre of the white car.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:04 (Ref:469521)   #24
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I have that video and excellent it is too.
However, there is only a brief shot of John at Mulsanne corner on the first lap and the aftermath of the accident,
thankfully from a distance.
What an excellent race though and it confirms why I still think the 60s/70s sportscars were the best ever period in long distance racing - great engine sounds and incredible speeds for the day. I don't think much of Le Mans today I'm afraid - boring cars to watch because they corner on rails and apart from a few, too quiet!
Old 7 Jan 2003, 21:36 (Ref:469522)   #25
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I thought I would dig this thread out again as yesterday I saw the actual McLaren M6B that John Woolfe raced back in 1968. A friend ( Dave Finnegan ) has the car in his workshops near to Sandy in Bedfordshire and intends to rebuild it one day. The tub is suspended from the ceiling with various parts including original block, long trumpet inlet manifold and gearbox scattered around. Dave was mechanic for John Jordan who last raced it in the 70s. He also tended the F5000 Lola T332 successfully campaigned by Tony Trimmer in Libre events in recent years - now driven by Frank Lyons and also kept in Dave's shop. While there, he was in the process of rebuilding a DFV for Frank's Surtees TS9. He has also just restored a BRM P207 and - got it to run reliably having found the problems that caused it to fail so many times in it's day. It will be on show for the first time at the NEC this weekend. He can then start restoring the sister car as he bought the pair from John Jordan.
I was there to help with identification of some of the old Rotary watches logos etc. from my photo archives for the car to be correctly stickered up. It looks glorious. A lot of history there in that small workshop!