Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jun 2019, 10:53 (Ref:3914250)   #926
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
The previous two posts actually encapsulate why he had to go.After a long enough spell to form an opinion of the capabilities of the team he should have been able to understand the strong and weak points and act accordingly.We are given to understand that there was a purge of middle managers at Grove late last year which hints that something was awry.Then the team shows up at the second test-not the first as the car was incomplete-and the car has suspension that doesn't comply with the regulations.

A few weeks later George Russell admits that there is a fundamental problem with the car and it will take months to fix.Months have now passed and any improvement is no more than the teams with initially superior cars have made and the relative positions are pretty much unchanged.I hope for the sake of Williams that the major change will be in place after the summer break and a string of decent finishes comes along.It might give enough of a confidence boost to help with the sponsorship situation next year and it would raise morale at Grove.It all hinges on whether the engineering brains still in place can come up with an effective solution as there is no indication of any of the better known names being recruited.If a car with a Mercedes engine is at the back at a circuit like Monza we will have an answer I suppose.
In theory a car with no downforce and Mercpower should be right on it at Monza....
Old 26 Jun 2019, 19:58 (Ref:3914334)   #927
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just wonder if the Merc customer engine is up to par as Stroll's lot aren't doing too well either.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 07:01 (Ref:3914372)   #928
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I just wonder if the Merc customer engine is up to par as Stroll's lot aren't doing too well either.

I read an interview with Andrew Green a couple of months ago in which he said that their near collapse last year had left them in a position where they had to produce a car which was compromised due to the short amount of time available.They went with the concept and while it is faster than the Williams,it is still sub-optimal and will have a major upgrade at mid-season.Which suggests that they have planned the way forward and are likely to be nearer the front in the latter stages of the season.They also appear to have sufficient funding to be able to discard anything that doesn't perform as well as predicted.A luxury that Williams may envy.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 07:11 (Ref:3914373)   #929
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Interesting that you bring the other Mercedes team in here. I'm sadly beginning to think of the two teams as Racing Point and What's the Point (and I speak as a life long fan of WGPE).
Old 27 Jun 2019, 07:23 (Ref:3914375)   #930
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Interesting that you bring the other Mercedes team in here. I'm sadly beginning to think of the two teams as Racing Point and What's the Point (and I speak as a life long fan of WGPE).
😄 Nicely done...

Soo much needs to be done at What's the Point and I'm not sure if they have the time/money to get it done. Hope i'm wrong as i'd love to see the team part of the multi team scrap behind the untouchables, at least.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 08:20 (Ref:3914387)   #931
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
What's the Point (and I speak as a life long fan of WGPE).
At the moment, the only point I can see is to highlight just how well Mercedes are doing, and to serve as a reminder of how far a team can decline from being a 9-times constructors' champion.
Old 27 Jun 2019, 08:53 (Ref:3914395)   #932
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's a shame when they had a good mini revival 2014-16, although they really didn't take the most of their opportunities at the time. I remember the 2014 Canadian GP when Massa inherited the lead after both Mercs hit trouble and rather than take a chance and keep him out to the end, they pitted him when there was no requirement to and instead of a win, Massa ended up colliding with Checo
Old 27 Jun 2019, 20:55 (Ref:3914493)   #933
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
They made a good comeback in 1978 too with Jones in Saudi money car...theres always hope..
Old 29 Jun 2019, 10:21 (Ref:3914751)   #934
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sobering stat from Sky Sports F1.

At Paul Ricard Williams were 5.06% away from pole position. In Manor F1s last season they were never below 5% of pole position at any point.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 11:22 (Ref:3914756)   #935
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
If Williams finish 2 laps down on every race,at the end of the season they will have done 1 whole race less than all the other teams.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3914810)   #936
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
If Williams finish 2 laps down on every race,at the end of the season they will have done 1 whole race less than all the other teams.
Think of the petrol that will save
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Jul 2019, 00:20 (Ref:3915774)   #937
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Think of the petrol that will save
Hahahahaha....
Old 4 Jul 2019, 08:52 (Ref:3915828)   #938
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
It’s got to the point where you can almost imagine it, that Claire’s car gets a top up after each race to save her filling up that week
Old 4 Jul 2019, 08:56 (Ref:3915831)   #939
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Kubica was 3 laps down,maybe the Williams could get a head start at the next race?.
Old 9 Jul 2019, 18:05 (Ref:3916717)   #940
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams could return to Renault engines in 2020, and with this event McLaren could return to Mercedes engines too.

https://f1i.com/news/347146-williams...s-in-2020.html
Old 9 Jul 2019, 23:05 (Ref:3916762)   #941
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Williams could return to Renault engines in 2020, and with this event McLaren could return to Mercedes engines too.

Presumably the Renault engines may be cheaper to operate?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Jul 2019, 23:21 (Ref:3916764)   #942
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

As the article says: "At this point there appears little substance to the paddock gossip, and none of the parties involved have made any comments on the reports so far.

Which just goes to show that silly season is alive and well in the engine market just as it is with the drivers..."
Old 10 Jul 2019, 07:02 (Ref:3916783)   #943
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Although this is clearly just a rumour, the logic of using (an engine - sorry) a Power Unit which is clearly less powerful than the one they are currently using so they can improve their performance would fit in with their usual way of thinking!
Another thought, why don't they promote distant cousin Serena Williams to run the team? She seems to be pretty successful at what she does
Old 10 Jul 2019, 08:34 (Ref:3916795)   #944
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Although this is clearly just a rumour, the logic of using (an engine - sorry) a Power Unit which is clearly less powerful than the one they are currently using so they can improve their performance would fit in with their usual way of thinking!
Another thought, why don't they promote distant cousin Serena Williams to run the team? She seems to be pretty successful at what she does
Old 10 Jul 2019, 14:25 (Ref:3916858)   #945
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Sorry, to explain. My first comment was that aimed at the fact that thy are clearly struggling and therefore presumably not making the right, or logical decisions. So, deciding to change to a power unit which appears to be performing less well than the one they are currently using, but looking at it as a way of providing a performance advantage seemed to me to be similarly illogical.
My second comments was supposed to be a bit of light-hearted whimsy based on a thought that came to me last night (after a few glasses of wine) after watching highlights of the days play from Wimbledon.
Apologies for any confusion caused, please forgive me, it was early in the morning when I wrote it.
Old 10 Jul 2019, 15:01 (Ref:3916864)   #946
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
with years of experience on the Millennium Falcon faster, Billy Dee Williams would seem a good choice. and after having just killed the Night King, maybe Maisie Williams?

lots of quality choices who would keep the name intact out there!

but interesting rumour though...but i am more intrigued by the suggestion that Mclaren would take on the Merc supply...just speculation on my part but does Merc want a customer who has the resources to become a competitor?

could this be a nifty little move to encourage Merc to give Williams a better deal?
Old 10 Jul 2019, 16:17 (Ref:3916881)   #947
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Cannot imagine Mercedes are thrilled with their customers performance....
Old 10 Jul 2019, 19:11 (Ref:3916910)   #948
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They might as well try something new considering they are going nowhere atm
Old 11 Jul 2019, 15:07 (Ref:3917022)   #949
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sounds like Williams are closing in on new deal with Merc. remains to be seen what additional components they will take.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...-deal/4492518/
Old 11 Jul 2019, 16:12 (Ref:3917026)   #950
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As mentioned in another thread... Williams title sponsor ROKiT extended from three to five years. Good for Williams!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...nsion/4492369/