Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 25 Dec 2002, 12:30 (Ref:457182)   #1
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FR at the age of 14???

i read that craig dolby, who is 14 years old has tested a formula renault car for paston racing

i know that craig is a great talent, but would he be allowed to drive races in FR?

Last edited by *formula3*; 25 Dec 2002 at 12:31.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 09:12 (Ref:457512)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its just my opinion , but i think that 14 is too young to race in F Renualt. Not sure what the licence requirements are though .
Old 26 Dec 2002, 09:24 (Ref:457519)   #3
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He wount be issued with a race licence until he is 16, however he can test in private before that age if he has passed an "ards" course, so he would in theory qualify for the limited licence valid for t-cars etc. I dont think he would be allowed to take part in general test days.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 19:59 (Ref:457758)   #4
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The minimum age to compete in Formula Renault is 16. As far as I know, you're only allowed to compete at 16 in the Winter Series, but you have to be 17 to compete in the regular Formula Renault UK Championship.

As for testing though, I don't know the exact details of that, and it could vary from country to country. As you can learn to drive a road car off the road from younger than 17, I guess the same could apply to driving a racing car, as long as it's not in competition.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 21:26 (Ref:457807)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well that all sounds pretty sensible to me ......it was the T-car that had put a doubt in my mindd .
Old 26 Dec 2002, 22:51 (Ref:457852)   #6
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normally a circuit will require, for its own insurance purposes, that a driver holds a race license if he is to test, and you can't hold a race license until 16. Organised track days for civilians are different, and have different insurance requirements, but you'll find all the main circuits in the country will not entertain a driver unless he is 16
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 27 Dec 2002, 21:48 (Ref:458441)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
so how do they make the T-Cars have a different set of rules then ?.......have they just made a exception for them only ?
Old 28 Dec 2002, 18:00 (Ref:458982)   #8
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I believe so - there must be insurance for the T-Cars championship, covering the circuits they visit and test at, I guess. But the normal circuit insurance doesn't cover under 16s. Actually, I thought T Cars were for 16 and over, not under 16s?
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 29 Dec 2002, 18:49 (Ref:459657)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks for that Jinxx'y, ......im not sure eithe r, but i though that T cars are for under 16's .
Old 29 Dec 2002, 19:20 (Ref:459666)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
T-cars can be driven by 14-year-olds. An interesting point is that most circuits ban under-16s from the pit lane.....
Old 30 Dec 2002, 04:52 (Ref:459909)   #11
the_extreme
Rookie

the_extreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't heard the name what is he racing at the moment ?? Karts ?

Jeff
Old 30 Dec 2002, 19:33 (Ref:460354)   #12
String
Rookie

String should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FFFFFFF....ourteen! No! that is way too young, if he got to race, his carrea would be over by 17. The pressures are too great for one so young, and a real problem when the exams start! What would he do then if his grades were low and no prospect of a real job once he's burned out early!

And I am pretty sure the MSA wouldn't let it happen. On top of all that, he would be trying to run before he can crawl.... let alone walk! And if he is in Karts, he will learn far more at his age!
Old 31 Dec 2002, 00:26 (Ref:460586)   #13
the_extreme
Rookie

Still no one's answered my question is he a talent or a spoilt little rich kid ???
Old 31 Dec 2002, 10:04 (Ref:460782)   #14
hysen
Racer

hysen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by the_extreme
Still no one's answered my question is he a talent or a spoilt little rich kid ???
I think his family have a bit of money but not loads. A case in point is that recently he's been quoted as saying that he hasnt got the money required to compete against some of the mega rich kids in JICA next season - which is why he's loooking at T-Cars.

As for talent well heres a run down of his achievements - you judge for yourself:

1999 – Cadet

Kartmasters Winner
7th in British Championship

2000 – Cadet

Won 1st 3 rounds of British Championship
3rd in Champions of the Future
3rd in Super 1

2001 - JICA

Won the British O Plate

2002 – JICA

2nd in British Championship
2nd in the British O plate

By all accounts a pretty good cv.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 14:22 (Ref:460965)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
the thing is , some of these young guys ( 14, 15 )in T cars are damm impressive !
Old 31 Dec 2002, 14:56 (Ref:460987)   #16
String
Rookie

I keep forgetting about T-cars, but I still can't help thinking it means they spend too long in the lower formula. And rushing up to F3000 by the time they are 16-17 (hypertheticle, but possible) is going to bite them at some point.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 15:15 (Ref:461002)   #17
the_extreme
Rookie

Yep not a bad racing resume at all for a young guy - maybe the jump up the ladder would be a bit premature but having said that at 14 especially if he's been racing since 10 he should have gained alot of racecraft - I'd be more worried about the physical demands than the mental demands

Jeff
Old 31 Dec 2002, 16:37 (Ref:461061)   #18
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Formula Renault is no where near as physically demadning as a top tuned kart.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 16:49 (Ref:461066)   #19
the_extreme
Rookie

Yep that's true FR wouldn't be as demanding as a kart - I was looking a bit further down the road though i.e. the hypothetical F3000 drive by the time he hits 16/17.

Although I do think a 20 lapper around the Brands Indy Circuit would be a bit more demanding than a 20 lapper at Rye House - but thats just me getting soft in my old age

Jeff
Old 31 Dec 2002, 20:08 (Ref:461167)   #20
superbird
Racer

superbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
20 laps round Rye in the JICA that Dolby is used to? I reckon you'd get out and be sick!

One thing that no one's mentioned; one of the reasons Dolby is leaving karting is that he's too heavy as the minimum weight in JICA is a bit too low IMO.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 21:30 (Ref:461215)   #21
the_extreme
Rookie

I've done 20 lappers round Rye in 100 Nationals they aren't that bad - of course I was 10 years younger then

Jeff
Old 1 Jan 2003, 03:45 (Ref:461365)   #22
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I think that you can transfer from karts to cars much easier when you are 17+ ..... much easier when you have driven Formula A karts abroad (successfully) or Super A. Young lads need time in the seat, at the top level, be that a kart seat or a car seat.

When these young lads have been in a winning seat (karts or cars) from 17 years old, they will progress at the rate that their talent and their budget allows

There are lots of young lads that do well in UK karting, but you need a lot more budget behind you to do 2 years in Formula Renault @ £150,000 per year, and a year or two in Formula 3 @ £450,000 per year. That's the truth of the "sport".
Old 1 Jan 2003, 04:34 (Ref:461372)   #23
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldnt pick FRS either. Its not a good learning series imo. Formula Ford is better because at least you can get in regular testing. To me FRS (and F3000) is to determine the best of the guys who have had a chance to develop. Its not a learn as you go series.
Old 1 Jan 2003, 20:49 (Ref:461664)   #24
String
Rookie

Yep! getting into FFZetec is a much better first step into single seaters, learning to slide a car around with springs and big power is a great learning curve from karts, that and a 2-3 year partisipation period would be much better for the lad. Ok it is still expencive, but much better than jumping higher up the ladder and spending more with more pressure, and more pysical demands.
Old 2 Jan 2003, 04:01 (Ref:461817)   #25
the_extreme
Rookie

o.k. so unless Master Dolby has a major sponsor .... What's a season of T-cars (front running) going to cost the family ???

Jeff