Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Aug 2004, 22:52 (Ref:1064453)   #1
MorganFan
Rookie

MorganFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New LMP

Not seen this posted elsewhere, so....

This weeks Autosport is reporting a new LMP project underway in the UK, headed by "Wiet Huidekoper", allegedly an LMP1 in the offing, and currently hiring staff prior to commencing work in Newbury, Berkshire.

According to Autosport, this is for a "smaller manufacturer" or "wealthy individual". Spyker or Lister maybe?

Anyone else know anything about this, or like to hazard some intelligent guesses as to what it is/who it's for?
Old 12 Aug 2004, 23:03 (Ref:1064457)   #2
Jeffrey-Lee
Racer

Jeffrey-Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing the head designer is a Dutchman it might well be for Spyker indeed. Huidekoper was leading the Opel design team in DTM last year and has a lot of experience in developing a range of other racecars.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 23:12 (Ref:1064467)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about TVR? They have recently been aquired by a wealthy businessman and he has said recently that the TVR marque will indeed continue racing. Why not with a P1 car as well as a GT contender?
Old 13 Aug 2004, 00:05 (Ref:1064500)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't that guy who bought an F1 Ferrari on '5th Gear', and also races a 360 GTC, interested in racing an LMP?

So, by the middle of next year we could potentially have new Lola, Courage, and 'Wiet Huidekoper' LMP1's!

Plus Zytek, Audi, Porsche and Mazda LMP1's in 2006, hopefully!

Last edited by JAG; 13 Aug 2004 at 00:08.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 00:24 (Ref:1064517)   #5
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Wiet Huidekoper also designed the Marcos Mantara LM600 Evo somewhere in 1998/1999. I think he was working for Eurotech back then. (Company that hold Marcos shares)

I had an internship with Cor Euser's Marcos Racing International in the winter of 1999/2000 and helped rebuild that car for the 2000 season. It won both British and Spanish GT championships that year. Great car, but unfortunately it didn't pass homologation for FIA GT and it was too wide (2070mm) for LM24h.

Last edited by KevinS; 13 Aug 2004 at 00:25.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 01:43 (Ref:1064556)   #6
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Wiet was also responsible for the Lola T92/10...
Old 13 Aug 2004, 02:24 (Ref:1064566)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oooh... I've only been recently acquainted with that car, but loved the nose on the Ascari.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Aug 2004, 04:49 (Ref:1064608)   #8
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Who or what is Zytec?
Old 13 Aug 2004, 06:33 (Ref:1064660)   #9
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Isn't that guy who bought an F1 Ferrari on '5th Gear', and also races a 360 GTC, interested in racing an LMP?
JAG -- I'm not sure but wasn't that John Bosch? His family owns a couple Ferrari F1’s and he also raced in the 360’s I believe…

Last weekend Bosch, Lammers, Ickx and Arnoux drove the winning Ferrari cars from 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 (all owned by the family).
Old 13 Aug 2004, 06:37 (Ref:1064665)   #10
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Riebe
Who or what is Zytec?
(...)

Bob it is Zytek (with a 'k'). Take a look here: http://www.zytekgroup.co.uk/news/zyteknew.php to learn more about them.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 06:47 (Ref:1064674)   #11
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by vandijk
JAG -- I'm not sure but wasn't that John Bosch? His family owns a couple Ferrari F1’s and he also raced in the 360’s I believe…

Nope it was Frank Mountain
Old 13 Aug 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1064881)   #12
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG

So, by the middle of next year we could potentially have new Lola, Courage, and 'Wiet Huidekoper' LMP1's!

Plus Zytek, Audi, Porsche and Mazda LMP1's in 2006, hopefully!
Mazda LMP2
Old 13 Aug 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1064882)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Any new LMP is welcome.

Because Huidekoper is Dutch you would think Spyker is involved, but don't forget he is already working many years in the international racing industry. So there's a big chance he works for non-Dutch people (Mazda?).
Old 13 Aug 2004, 11:49 (Ref:1064895)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gwyllion
Mazda LMP2
On the CBS ALMS coverage they said Mazda would build an LMP2, then an LMP1!
Old 13 Aug 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1065315)   #15
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by vandijk
(...)

Bob it is Zytek (with a 'k'). Take a look here: http://www.zytekgroup.co.uk/news/zyteknew.php to learn more about them.
Who started it and when.
Ilmor was started by former employee of Cosworth, when did these boys start.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 19:19 (Ref:1065322)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Who started it and when.
http://www.zytekgroup.co.uk/about/zytekhis.htm
Old 13 Aug 2004, 19:32 (Ref:1065333)   #17
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: New LMP

Quote:
Originally posted by MorganFan
Wiet Huidekoper
So what's in a name, Wiet is Dutch for dope
Old 14 Aug 2004, 19:59 (Ref:1066427)   #18
MorganFan
Rookie

Quote:
Who started it and when.
Zytek is quite a big industrial outfit with many fingers in many pies, so the Zytek 04 represents only a subsidiary operation. I believe amongst other things they supply engines to several single-seater racing forumulas.

As for their LMP, it has quite a tortured history. It was I understand originally a Reynard design, maybe their last before going bankrupt. A Danish team bought the rights to it and homologated it as the DBA-Zytek (DBA = Den Blas Avis, a media/publishing group I think whose owner backed the project), with Zytek supplying the engine. This raced at Le Mans 2003, with John Nielsen at the wheel, who I think basically also ran the project.

That team folded due to financial constraints, and Zytek seem to have "acquired" the rights, and have now re-worked/re-homologated the car as the Zytek-04. It seems a competitive design, one could say the best of the "non-audis" at the moment. The current Zytek run programme is intended to act as a shopwindow to allow them to sell more of these cars, althought I don't think any have yet been sold. Creation run one of these cars, I believe this may be the car that was raced at Le Mans in 2003, it certainly races as a DBA-Zytek not a Zytek 04.

Also, a question re Zytek for the more knowledgable forums members than I - didn't Zytek also supply the engines for the Panoz LMP07 car (the one that was supposed to replace the LMP01)?
Old 14 Aug 2004, 20:01 (Ref:1066428)   #19
MorganFan
Rookie

Re: Re: New LMP

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy_NL
So what's in a name, Wiet is Dutch for dope
I guess wiet does sound a bit like "weed"
Old 14 Aug 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1066469)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Re: Re: Re: New LMP

The Zytek 04S (Reynard 02S/DBA4 03S) story

Quote:
I guess wiet does sound a bit like "weed"
Old 14 Aug 2004, 21:07 (Ref:1066472)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Re: New LMP

Quote:
According to Autosport, this is for a "smaller manufacturer" or "wealthy individual". Spyker or Lister maybe?
Klaas Zwart back to sports car racing?
Old 15 Aug 2004, 06:55 (Ref:1066787)   #22
MorganFan
Rookie

Re: Re: New LMP

Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
Klaas Zwart back to sports car racing?
I thought he had a big falling out with the ACO? It would be nice to see an Ascari back at LM though, I thought the old car had a lot of potential that was never realised.

I believe Klaus Zwaart is currently racing in the Euroboss series, running either a ex Benetton or Ferrari F1 car, so that might rule him out.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1066829)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's running old Benettons rebranded as Ascaris.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 08:49 (Ref:1066852)   #24
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And running his race resort in Spain
Race resort

Which reminds me, I must check last nights lottery numbers.

Was Huidekoper involved with the Euro racing lola in the early 90's?

During the Motors LMES coverage, Hindy said the new Lola LMP was quite advanced, any connection?

Last edited by Nordic; 15 Aug 2004 at 08:50.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 12:02 (Ref:1066991)   #25
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Was Huidekoper involved with the Euro racing lola in the early 90's?
According to this website Huidekoper developed the Lola T92. And yes, Euro Racing (owned by Dutchman Charles Zwolsman) raced with this car. Drivers like Cor Euser and Heinz-Harald Frentzen raced for Euro Racing.

I did some searching with Google and found this and this advertises.

Quote:
have been appointed for a long term Le Mans sports car programme a result vacancies now exist for the following positions in our design office.