Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Nov 2017, 09:06 (Ref:3782849)   #76
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Track needs to be widened in a few places to improve passing opportunities.

Most of the track seems to be one line only.
Old 25 Nov 2017, 09:16 (Ref:3782852)   #77
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Genuine question: why is this happening at so many circuits? They've known this place was going to be a racetrack for two years, how come in the obvious high stress and wear points the bitumen wasn't replaced with proven mixtures?
To be fair it's likely the high temperatures today that had a lot to do with it

I'm usually first to stick the boot into the fools at Supercars about most things, but I'll give them a pass on that.
Old 25 Nov 2017, 09:27 (Ref:3782856)   #78
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It’s done...

Congratulations to Mr McLaughlin, 2017 Champion-elect
Don't go too early. A DNF from Scotty and Jamie only needs 9th or better.

Easy track to trip up at.

Good to see DJRTP break the 8 year 888 strangle hold on the teams championship.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 25 Nov 2017, 09:31 (Ref:3782859)   #79
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not trying to stick a boot in, more wondering why it's happening so often.

The T1 overtaking spot is virtually non existent because of that little curve to the right before they head left.
T2 seems to be fools gold for overtaking.
And the run down into the fish-hook looking hairpin at T10 doesn't really promote overtaking either, because like T1 it shapes itself into a definite one racing line corner.
Yes it's spectacular and yes it's fast in qualifying. So was Canberra. SVG ended up making a desperate move on Reynolds because he spent 10 laps behind a slower car with nowhere to get around him. If SVG can't find a spot, we might have a problem.
Old 25 Nov 2017, 09:42 (Ref:3782863)   #80
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Genuine question: why is this happening at so many circuits? They've known this place was going to be a racetrack for two years, how come in the obvious high stress and wear points the bitumen wasn't replaced with proven mixtures?
They haven't known this place was going to be a racetrack for 2 years - 1 year or so only. It's been reported consistently that a large amount of drainage etc work was being done under the roads before they were re-sealed, so I think the new mix has not been down long at all. Don't recall it happening at many circuits but it is something that can happen as we occasionally see.

Quote:
Yes it's spectacular and yes it's fast in qualifying. So was Canberra. SVG ended up making a desperate move on Reynolds because he spent 10 laps behind a slower car with nowhere to get around him. If SVG can't find a spot, we might have a problem.
Wouldn't surprise if they make some layout changes or tweaks for year 2 - it's not unusual to make such changes from year to year.
Old 25 Nov 2017, 09:53 (Ref:3782867)   #81
GM10
Veteran

Italy
Mantua
GM10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scotty did a fantastic race and the title would be well deserved. Smart behaviour in the battles with SVG and Reynolds, great work in the last restart, just perfect.

Fabs and Slade to the podium thanks to a great strategy. Penske was so happy at the end of this race, his team sometimes seemed to be unbeatable this season.

Jamie quite unlucky, there wasn't enough space but he did nothing wrong with Caruso. SVG too much foul at the end of the race, this race reflected his season quite good: on the defensive (with Scotty), often inconclusive.

Personally, I preferred Homebush to Newcastle. The latter is simply an amazing scenario, but Homebush was a more difficult racetrack and more suitable for overtakings.
Old 25 Nov 2017, 10:55 (Ref:3782876)   #82
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
To be fair it's likely the high temperatures today that had a lot to do with it

I'm usually first to stick the boot into the fools at Supercars about most things, but I'll give them a pass on that.
It isn’t too cold in Abu Dhabi this weekend for the F1, yet their track surface seems to be alright...

The Newcastle council laid the bitumen, and presumably sourced the contractors in the image to epoxy the holes.

Problem with epoxy of course is that it usually sets with a smoothish surface, so becomes slippery...

Interestingly, walking round the track this evening, the surface for the most part was tacky/quite grippy.. it is not always so for street circuits despite rubber down
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Nov 2017, 10:56 (Ref:3782877)   #83
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Ouch for SDS, great drive though
Why didn’t the Slade contact get reviewed?
Old 25 Nov 2017, 11:13 (Ref:3782878)   #84
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Why didn’t the Slade contact get reviewed?
Sounds like an admission to me...
Old 25 Nov 2017, 11:28 (Ref:3782881)   #85
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A ‘fun’ team debrief tonight at 888

Old 25 Nov 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3782883)   #86
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now that's a ticket in Newcastle I'd have loved.
Old 25 Nov 2017, 12:34 (Ref:3782894)   #87
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well just got back to my hotel, what a great day. cant believe how packed the place was. found a good spot at the inside of the hair pin, could see a screen, lack of GA screens in my opinion

Cold /chisel were great and what an exciting race. DJRTP 1-2 a bit unexpected. Jdub, well being a 6 times champion doesnt stop you making mistakes under pressure.
Old 25 Nov 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3782915)   #88
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Now THAT is a professional response to a shirty day.
No blame, no arguing, no sooking, no creation of unhappiness.
Factual.
Ready to go round again.

Some of the other folks might learn something about emotions management from SdS

Old 25 Nov 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3782928)   #89
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now thats what I call a race circuit!-just see this on TV here-
Old 25 Nov 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3782937)   #90
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think straightening the immediate approach to Turn 1 could help a bit. It's funny, sometimes those corners that focus the racing line improve the effectiveness of the slipstream and aid overtaking. It just depends. What I think would help at least as much though, is to ease the apex of Turn 1; that is, don't have that curb jutting out as far from the pit exit lane as it does now.

The other circuit tweak I'd make is to get rid of that point of curbing that juts out in the middle of Turn 6; the guys are cutting it as much as they can get away with anyway.

Part of this is going to depend on guys not being so risk-averse, and getting out onto more of the tarmac. You can make the track as wide as you like, but if the drivers don't work to widen the line, it won't matter. Take a look at the back stretch and run into the "Mile Wide Corner" at the Denver street circuit that CART/CCWS used in 2002-06. I think the general setup of that section will look familiar.
Old 25 Nov 2017, 22:25 (Ref:3782988)   #91
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Race day #2 is here..
And it’s still breathtakingly HOT..

Corporate on L1 is perfectly chilled, but you have to feel for the General Admission punters struggling to stay out of the high uV sunlight
Old 25 Nov 2017, 22:39 (Ref:3782991)   #92
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Jeez there are some people here today...
And its warm..
And its a LOOOOONG walk to the garages from the outside..
And some signs pointing people to the gate numbers would be lovely..

That said... Newcastle is alive!!

How awesome!
The local reaction is positive:
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/50...ercars/?cs=305
Newcastle Supercars: Huge crowd turns out for day two of Newcastle 500
Old 25 Nov 2017, 23:34 (Ref:3782996)   #93
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
The circuit is actually breaking up in places...

Repairs are underway now, supervised by Mr Schenken & Mr Baird...

It is in a number of places too..
Nice of Speedcafe to catch up Here

Looks slippery...
Old 25 Nov 2017, 23:47 (Ref:3782999)   #94
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nice of Speedcafe to catch up Here

Looks slippery...
looks very much like an epoxy mix. Los of wheel spin , if wet and bugger all grip
Old 26 Nov 2017, 00:24 (Ref:3783015)   #95
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Now thats what I call a race circuit!-just see this on TV here-
If by 'race' circuit you mean a great track for a qualifying circuit and pretty pictures, I agree, but I didn't see much 'racing'.
Old 26 Nov 2017, 01:26 (Ref:3783031)   #96
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yep - send in the experts - not an engineer to be seen......
Old 26 Nov 2017, 01:31 (Ref:3783032)   #97
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
What are our chances of seeing an on-track pass amongst drivers in the top half of the field.

Looks like a big crowd, but whats the point if the track doesn't allow any racing?
Because it's an "event", not motor sport as such. You need to get on board to Supercars mode of business......
Old 26 Nov 2017, 01:55 (Ref:3783045)   #98
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
#23 seems to have some sort of paddle-shift arrangement installed (not in use).
Old 26 Nov 2017, 02:00 (Ref:3783049)   #99
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
#23 seems to have some sort of paddle-shift arrangement installed (not in use).
It runs the driver’s hydration system apparently..
Old 26 Nov 2017, 02:02 (Ref:3783053)   #100
Umai Naa
Veteran

For now, I presume...