Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Jun 2018, 13:09 (Ref:3832091)   #26
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Grant thank you for your most helpful advice, it sounds like an ideal solution to all of my problems, therefore I have forwarded you idea to the Editor, and await his reply ……………. I'm sure he will authorise the budget

You're very welcome Bob.

(If the Editor agrees could you do me the favour of sending me some contact details so I can pitch some further ideas to him/her (on your behalf of course ....))
Old 20 Jun 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3832149)   #27
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Bob, with some training you can follow any race when Alkamel makes the live timing. You could go for timing of the full grid or follow any car/ all cars on the track. Takes a while to be a perfect viewer though but the best system at the moment imho.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3832163)   #28
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Bob, with some training you can follow any race when Alkamel makes the live timing. You could go for timing of the full grid or follow any car/ all cars on the track. Takes a while to be a perfect viewer though but the best system at the moment imho.
This is our bauble we are talking about here......

All set up in the Morgan encampment and looking forward to an early night to compensate for my 0115hrs start this morning!
Old 20 Jun 2018, 18:43 (Ref:3832199)   #29
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
This is our bauble we are talking about here......

All set up in the Morgan encampment and looking forward to an early night to compensate for my 0115hrs start this morning!
Patronised (Grant) Flattered (Gerard) Insulted (Mike) all in one day! And me just 7 days away from exceeding four score years.

No matter how long you live there are always new experiences to 'enjoy' in life.

Sleep tight Mike.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 08:34 (Ref:3832288)   #30
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I got the picture that "our" Bauble could need some help, Mike or may be wrong.

Ami Robert, I'll try to make a list of what kind of info you can get from live timing. The one we're talking about is complete (Alkamel system), red flags, yellow flags, live penalties when they are given by race director and so on. You can train yourself during Q or maybe free practice. You'll see clearly best lap or last lap time for a given car and close to drivers list is the type of car.
What is tricky is to make the difference between two drivers entered on the same car, because you dont always know who is at wheel. Tricky to, when a time penalty applies, you can only briefly read it before the number of laps or total time is affected. No big deal in fact, rather entertaining with some training. And there is a "moving map" of the full grid during the race/Q. Screen shot is helpful of course but quite a hassle!
Old 21 Jun 2018, 15:19 (Ref:3832344)   #31
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I got the picture that "our" Bauble could need some help, Mike or may be wrong.

Ami Robert, I'll try to make a list of what kind of info you can get from live timing. The one we're talking about is complete (Alkamel system), red flags, yellow flags, live penalties when they are given by race director and so on. You can train yourself during Q or maybe free practice. You'll see clearly best lap or last lap time for a given car and close to drivers list is the type of car.
What is tricky is to make the difference between two drivers entered on the same car, because you dont always know who is at wheel. Tricky to, when a time penalty applies, you can only briefly read it before the number of laps or total time is affected. No big deal in fact, rather entertaining with some training. And there is a "moving map" of the full grid during the race/Q. Screen shot is helpful of course but quite a hassle!
Gerard, you are too kind.

I eat at a café today with Mrs. B and a friend, when we had finished I took out crockery over to the self-clear rack. The rack was full with just the very bottom slot free, as I looked at this a old lady asked it I needed help; could I get down that low?

She is lucky to be alive
Old 21 Jun 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3832361)   #32
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
could I get down that low?
Well, ya no, if only the very last bottom slot was free, then yes, you have to go that low, man!
We use to say that you do know when looking old to others' eyes when someone sitting in a bus suggests he could give you his seat…
In my eyes you're really old when you've lost the last of your dream or sens of humor! In this respect, and with my respect too, you're not old Bob! Not at all.
Back to Spa, if as someone suggested RSI.be is in charge of timing, it will be far less comfortable to follow the two Morgan races from your screen I'm afraid. Screen shot "capture d'écran" will help you at least to start your report at the end of each race. Dont hesitate to ask for details to your special reporter in situ, Mike Bell!
But what kind of café do you visit with Madame? A self serlvice one? Tssss! Tandoolli tzicken may be………… or ké Bob??
Old 22 Jun 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3832486)   #33
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Timing definitely by Alkamel .

The Ardennes Challenge with Morgan Challenge qualifying was this morning. On pole with a stunning time of 2:40.7 are Olly Bryant and Dad Grahame in their class A Morgan. 2nd fastest was the first of the Crossle sports racers, 3.1 seconds slower. 3 more Crossles are then followed by the 2nd quickest Morgan, Phil Goddard with a time of 2:52.7. Missing from the meeting is usual championship contrender and potential race winner Keith Ahlers, as the meeting clashes with Masters visit to Most in the Czech Republic.

Simon Orebi Gann suffered the ignominy of being the first car to break down, his modern ARV6 Roadster suffering a computer or ECU related glitch on the first lap that stopped the engine. (Don’t get that problem with plugs and points..... ) A lap or two later the +4 of Alan House sheared an oil cooler take off from the engine which started a slick from before Fagnes to the exit of Campus. I saw the display flashing orange and black, then as I hit the oil remembered what it meant! Fortunately no one went off on the oil.

My own 1959 +4 turns out to be the only FIA spec car in the field, and I managed to qualify 31st out of 50 with a time of 3:14.4. Well pleased with that, for a car that hasn’t raced since 2012, and still has same engine and tyres! Interesting how developement has moved on, however, as the latest spec engines in the SLR and +4 I usually race feel about 30bhp more, and rev at least 500rpm higher..... Having said that, recent experience suggests they are more fragile as well.

First 40 minute race at 0915 tomorrow. No pit stops for the Morgan cars, although the rest of the grid will have a compulsory 1 minute.....
Old 22 Jun 2018, 14:13 (Ref:3832502)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Forgot to mention.....

After arriving in 27C heat on Wednesday afternoon, which continued into the night, Thursday test day switched to cool and light rain for most of the morning. Spa ‘in the clouds’ sort of weather. In fact the rain started just as drivers had paid for the first session- with no refunds! Today, after a cold night, the temperature has just about staggered into double figures, with total cloud cover and a bitter wind making most search for extra fleeces and jackets. Who knows what tomorrow will bring......
Old 22 Jun 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3832518)   #35
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well done mike. 2.40 in a Morgan WTF.!!!!
Old 22 Jun 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3832519)   #36
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We will be having sub 3 min MGB next.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3832532)   #37
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
We will be having sub 3 min MGB next.
Dont they always do that?
Old 22 Jun 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3832534)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Haven't we had that already?
Old 22 Jun 2018, 17:17 (Ref:3832538)   #39
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Haven't we had that already?
Sorry just a wind up.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 06:54 (Ref:3832605)   #40
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the quali results stewards are being kept busy applying track limit penalties....pretty much every session had inviduals with best or all lap times deleted!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 23 Jun 2018, 17:36 (Ref:3832704)   #41
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike, did you enjoy this morning race? By the way, I didn't know that orange/black flashing has the same meaning as a red/yellow flag.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 04:47 (Ref:3832776)   #42
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mmm, probably was red and yellow- I was too busy trying to avoid going off on the oil..... Sometimes the LED panel colours can be a bit difficult to differentiate unless a simple red, yellow or green- In the race a slow moving car at Stavelot 2 prompted a flashing white panel- or was it yellow? The car in front of me thought the latter, so lifted off. I kept my right foot hard in and went straight past him and the slow car as it looked white to me. It was.... (Fortunately )

Every time I drive around Spa it is enjoyable, whatever I’m in! I was a bit frustrated though in the race as Morgan Challenge cars are potentially considerably faster than an FIA +4. (Fastest race lap by winner 2:39 !!!!!) I would get overtaken on the straights and then get held up through Eau Rouge or round Combes, Fanges etc. With lower horsepower it would then take a while to get up to full pace again. However, think the marshals enjoyed at least one car on skinny cross plies drifting round the twiddly bits, instead of cornering on rails like most..... 2nd race later this morning, and car ready to go. Was bit of light rain during the night but think will be dry all day now that’s cleared.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 06:18 (Ref:3832781)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Results of first Ardennes Challenge race here- http://spasummerclassic.alkamelsystems.com

Just noticed I finished one place in front of Eamonn, but as mentioned earlier, the Morgans didn't have to do a pit stop, whereas all the other entries did.....