Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 May 2020, 08:57 (Ref:3976551)   #1626
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Rallysprint?
Old 16 May 2020, 09:19 (Ref:3976553)   #1627
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I think the sea is still a little cold (probably not for Delta!).

We went to Le Touquet on Wednesday when the beach was still closed but there was a keen North wind coming off the sea anyway. Good to see the town coming back to life, though.
Of coarse I have already been fora swim in the sea this year John." Cape town".
Funny how all this lock down has created more interest in Euro-vision this year.
Recent years its not on TV and the event gets overlooked.Never been the same since our Terry passed away.
Old 16 May 2020, 09:33 (Ref:3976555)   #1628
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nor something I will watch but I did notice it was being pushed last night. Bet we get Nil Points again.
Old 16 May 2020, 10:18 (Ref:3976559)   #1629
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well you lot are unobservant. It's been on TV every year past since time immemorial. It has to be, the BBC ****es so much money up the Eurovision wall that it has guaranteed entry to the Grand Final, we don't have to do the semis like the ones who don't spend so much.

And it's not on tonight. It was one of the first public events to be pulled.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2020, 10:59 (Ref:3976570)   #1630
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Well you lot are unobservant. It's been on TV every year past since time immemorial. It has to be, the BBC ****es so much money up the Eurovision wall that it has guaranteed entry to the Grand Final, we don't have to do the semis like the ones who don't spend so much.

And it's not on tonight. It was one of the first public events to be pulled.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Possibly some confusion.
All 41 entries are performing in a televised show on BBC1 tonight. It's just not being held in an arena, or being judged as a competition.

I think that's the show being promoted.
Old 16 May 2020, 17:07 (Ref:3976620)   #1631
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the BBC can spend on it, millions watch it.

Gordon, you're not ordinary, you're special!

I got sponsored, for odd events, a set of tyres from a friend once, and a notable donation at the British GP support race . . .one of the more expensive races, but equally being so high profile it paid back in multiple ways.

I guess having spent a few years tinkering with wheeled things the best perks are being asked to help and drive at some of the better events. As you say, not what you know, but who you know . . .It helps if you do know at least something useful so you get asked! I tihnk I started with loading a trailer and pumping up tyres!

Last edited by zefarelly; 16 May 2020 at 17:17.
Old 16 May 2020, 19:04 (Ref:3976631)   #1632
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Not sure but I think we're not allowed to display any sponsor on the car bodies here in Historic. Not a problem, alas…
Old 18 May 2020, 13:01 (Ref:3976935)   #1633
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MSV Web site says some track activities will be restarting from today.

I think I just heard some noises that sound very much like activity as Donington. It sort of stood out because recent weeks have been so wonderfully quiet with so little going in from the Airport, the track and the mass of local construction work together with the reduced traffic on nearby main roads.

Now it might be some people out on the roads with relatively noisy transport but yesterday seemed to be the day for the loud road cars and loud bikes and none of them using the track of course.

The mopeds with silencer delete options seem to be out most evenings anyway. Not usually for very long.
Old 18 May 2020, 14:10 (Ref:3976949)   #1634
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've had a few ear splitting expansion chambers on Lambrettas over the years. I only use the classic Clubman style box pipes now, much quieter, and the modern ones which look standard, have 48mm U bends and are more than capable of breathing upwards of 20 BHP with the right engine.

roads are getting notably busier in Sussex, but my current commmute is still 2/3 of 'busy' time.
Old 18 May 2020, 17:05 (Ref:3976984)   #1635
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Must have quite a collection then. Bet you’ve spent many an hour tuning them. I can see why, they are a unique form of bike. I bet you enjoy the commute on one, especially a highly tuned one
Old 19 May 2020, 07:22 (Ref:3977078)   #1636
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
TBH I don't tune bonkers 2 strokes, as much fun as it may be, its as expoensive as racing and they don't last 5 minutes. I have adopted reed valve induction recently on a few engines, but keep transfers to about 125 degrees and exhaust 170-175. you can't do 2-300 miles a day flat out on a 2 stroke. 25 miles this morning in just over half an hour, got to Chi quicker than a caged bronze E type rag top thanks to traffic. had a few recognizable names on the door. ( it did leave me for dead on the dual carriageway between Worthing/Arundel!)
Old 19 May 2020, 09:02 (Ref:3977098)   #1637
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
TBH I don't tune bonkers 2 strokes, as much fun as it may be, its as expoensive as racing and they don't last 5 minutes. I have adopted reed valve induction recently on a few engines, but keep transfers to about 125 degrees and exhaust 170-175. you can't do 2-300 miles a day flat out on a 2 stroke. 25 miles this morning in just over half an hour, got to Chi quicker than a caged bronze E type rag top thanks to traffic. had a few recognizable names on the door. ( it did leave me for dead on the dual carriageway between Worthing/Arundel!)
Long time ago [ possibly 1970 odd ] we used to have a 9 hour kart race at Snetterton . Original circuit with the old Norwich straight .
I did it with just 2 of us as drivers . Half hour each to start , then an hour at a time , [ we fitted an extra fuel tank ] .
Possible laps averages of +70 MPH for the whole time .
So a racing 2 stoke will keep going .

I do remember being very deaf for the next couple of days from having sat with a screaming engine next to my ear during the race .
Old 19 May 2020, 09:29 (Ref:3977108)   #1638
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Long time ago [ possibly 1970 odd ] we used to have a 9 hour kart race at Snetterton . Original circuit with the old Norwich straight .
I did it with just 2 of us as drivers . Half hour each to start , then an hour at a time , [ we fitted an extra fuel tank ] .
Possible laps averages of +70 MPH for the whole time .
So a racing 2 stoke will keep going .

I do remember being very deaf for the next couple of days from having sat with a screaming engine next to my ear during the race .
I remember the Karting Nine Hours! It seemed like real feat of endurance then. I have the programmes for the races in 1966, '68 & '70.
Old 19 May 2020, 10:32 (Ref:3977120)   #1639
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
From a performance point of view a Lambretta is somewhat compromised. It was designed for shopping 60+ years ago. There are a lot of 'modern' kits around now, you can even buy a complete new engine from a few places, @ £7k+ and 30BHP + not for the feint hearted, or standard drum brakes!

TBH, touring around 60MPH is comfortable and sustainable, with 15-20mph in reserve when needed, also means you're not flat out all the time.

my latest lump is 240cc, a plodder and pulls tall gearing, better fuel economy than a screamer too.

not dissimilar to the Cortina road car as opposed to the race car. one tuned for power the other for torque. one does 28mpg the other does 13 mpg.
Old 20 May 2020, 10:01 (Ref:3977293)   #1640
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Two-stroke engines reliability was dramatically improved with liquid cooling I think. Was it Ossa or Montesa a using a lc system for the head only? Still ready for Dijon?
Old 20 May 2020, 12:31 (Ref:3977319)   #1641
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
ready for Dijon? err . . .can't go and look at, let a lone buy, a new tow car at the moment . . . can't get the race car out of storage for service, no idea about tunnel/hotel/entries/hotel/holidays

nearly ready

tuned 2 strokes for Lambrettas cool better and are much more reliable having cylinders made from Aluminium as opposed to iron . . . most water cooled conversions I've seen were just cylinder heads. There is a guy making new cases and they can fit a water cooled 350cc jet ski cylinder . . .60 BHP!
Old 20 May 2020, 14:11 (Ref:3977345)   #1642
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Seen a few of those "twist n go" big cc engine'd scooters in Spain and the UK they really do perform away from the traffic lights. I did see another one that someone had "grafted" a 500cc Motocross engine into it, that was dangerous and spent more time on it's back wheel !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 May 2020, 14:21 (Ref:3977347)   #1643
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Then of course you get this sort of thing that I took a picture of at a local show !Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (329).png
Views:	11
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	61027
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 May 2020, 17:00 (Ref:3977373)   #1644
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Think we have some Vespas fitted with CR cylinders. A new kind of russian roulette I find……
Old 20 May 2020, 19:46 (Ref:3977403)   #1645
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
How much more performance can you get out of your Vespas with those? Is it a hang on for you life ride?
Old 21 May 2020, 07:43 (Ref:3977463)   #1646
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I have a friend in France who does a lot of Vespa Tuning, the choppes ( usually Lambrett as they have a proper frame ) were an 80's fad. a popular bike conversion from around 1990 was to graft a YPVS RD350 into a Lambretta . . . kind of OTT for me, if you want a sports biker, get a sports bike!

most of us quite like the absurdity of long range touring on shopping bikes!
Old 21 May 2020, 08:34 (Ref:3977472)   #1647
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think I will take a tea break for a few days.
Old 21 May 2020, 11:03 (Ref:3977492)   #1648
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that bauble will not be on here ? I think I can put a Motorbike picture up .
Old 21 May 2020, 12:34 (Ref:3977515)   #1649
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I recently sold my five RDLC's. Still I'm convinced that a two stroke-engine gives the best performance to weight rate and the best sensations with a classic bike.

Tel, is it you with a banana style hair? Nice!
Old 21 May 2020, 12:42 (Ref:3977520)   #1650
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I recently sold my five RDLC's. Still I'm convinced that a two stroke-engine gives the best performance to weight rate and the best sensations with a classic bike.

Tel, is it you with a banana style hair? Nice!
It was a long long time ago , but it was me & hair is more grey coloured now .

But how many of us have sold Bikes / cars in the past which are now worth a lot of money . What is a BSA DBD34 worth now ??.
Closed Thread