Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 5 Jan 2015, 16:04 (Ref:3490097)   #51
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Mike - I think generally they tend to attach the chains to substantial components underneath - suspension arm, crossmember, etc. However, as Terence said, we have no way of knowing if this has been done effectively in this case. It's going to be a rather large insurance payout if not!

When you said it wasn't ran aground because of the list - I don't see why then? Do you have another reason?
I thought I posted that it was beached because of the list, but the list was not deliberate, but hey ho.....

I've just discovered Dropbox, after a recommendation from a techie friend. Excellent so far!
Old 5 Jan 2015, 21:48 (Ref:3490172)   #52
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Mike - I read it as you were saying it wasn't the list that caused the decision to ground it. Just my mis-interpretation!

Thought it seemed strange...
Old 6 Jan 2015, 06:22 (Ref:3490264)   #53
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Sorry Mike - I read it as you were saying it wasn't the list that caused the decision to ground it. Just my mis-interpretation!
No problem Paul, sometimes what my fingers are typing isn't what my brain is thinking, so anything is possible!

Looking at latest pics of the beached ship I can't imagine anything on board being undamaged. Going to be an interesting salvage op.
Old 6 Jan 2015, 08:20 (Ref:3490275)   #54
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Just to show the government that it can be cold in sunny Spain if you don't sit in the sun (regards winter fuel allowance) I made this video last Friday.

Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Jan 2015, 09:47 (Ref:3490288)   #55
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I only put the link to the HD video but on my Laptop it's showing the whole thing on my post in low resolution, so I don't know what happened, maybe some technical whizkid will let me know !

Just been playing about and found that if you actually click on " Vimeo" on the bottom right it works.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 6 Jan 2015 at 10:16.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Jan 2015, 13:35 (Ref:3490338)   #56
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
An ex-employee of the Ferry company was interviewed on TV last night and stated that cars are fastened down with ratchet straps, whereas heavy plant / commercials are chained down - so in his opinion most will have survived.....I'd guess it depends on how abrupt any stop/impact was.....if it was a relatively gradual grounding and tilt, those restraints may have held....

Times reported today that load (which was apparently only one third of maximum!) comprised 1200 Jaguar cars and Land-Rover 4x4s, 65 BMW Minis, 105 JCB "diggers" and a single Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith........Speculation that even if undamaged vehicles might be scrapped because of fears of future product liability issues........which would seem to be a waste.....
Old 6 Jan 2015, 14:03 (Ref:3490341)   #57
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I expect it was a couple of the JCBs and the heavy "Roller" that moved and tipped it over !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 6 Jan 2015 at 14:12.
Old 6 Jan 2015, 14:08 (Ref:3490342)   #58
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
An ex-employee of the Ferry company was interviewed on TV last night and stated that cars are fastened down with ratchet straps, whereas heavy plant / commercials are chained down - so in his opinion most will have survived.....I'd guess it depends on how abrupt any stop/impact was.....if it was a relatively gradual grounding and tilt, those restraints may have held....
They may well be OK as long as they don't get wet but how the hell could they be got off the ship at that angle ?
Not quite a job for pikies with a hiab
Old 6 Jan 2015, 15:41 (Ref:3490361)   #59
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

Times reported today that load (which was apparently only one third of maximum!) comprised 1200 Jaguar cars and Land-Rover 4x4s, 65 BMW Minis, 105 JCB "diggers" and a single Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith........Speculation that even if undamaged vehicles might be scrapped because of fears of future product liability issues........which would seem to be a waste.....
Agreed Richard, what a waste. Fear of the lawyers again no doubt...
Old 7 Jan 2015, 06:41 (Ref:3490573)   #60
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, been there done that and have now given up trying.Thanks anyway.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 07:56 (Ref:3490581)   #61
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I expect it was a couple of the JCBs and the heavy "Roller" that moved and tipped it over !
According to reports, you aren't far off the mark.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 08:56 (Ref:3490600)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Nah, someone left the handbrake off on the Wraith- or it's electronic.....

The local Beeb report suggests some cargo had moved enough to cause a 'breach', but assumed after the incident. (Leaned against a door?) Apparently this has now been closed but ship has taken some water. Initially they were hoping to start righting op today, but think the breach has delayed this, and there are storms coming......... Perhaps I'm weird but find this sort of technical challenge fascinating. Hope we get to see how it gets sorted- or not!

One talking head suggested the type of ferry involved is inherently unseaworthy, and when you look at it sitting there you have to think he may be right!

Old 7 Jan 2015, 09:31 (Ref:3490612)   #63
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Pah if I still had my speedboat with it's 40hp outboard I could just pop out there with a bit of cord and pull it up !
And I bet that the captain doesn't have a bushy grey beard!!!Capt Sloane said it was "unlikely" the incident was caused by human error and was possibly an electrical fault with sensors which control the ballast, or ballast pumps.

And what did I say about the Zenobia !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 7 Jan 2015 at 09:41.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 09:41 (Ref:3490614)   #64
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So he doesn't flog fishfingers then?
Old 7 Jan 2015, 09:56 (Ref:3490621)   #65
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I did this same dive but 15 years ago when the trucks weren't so corroded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAd1-AgY1c
Old 7 Jan 2015, 17:22 (Ref:3490733)   #66
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BBC reporting that the boat has "refloated itself".

Smart boat ...
Old 7 Jan 2015, 17:24 (Ref:3490734)   #67
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever floats your boat, I guess....
Old 7 Jan 2015, 17:26 (Ref:3490735)   #68
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
BBC reporting that the boat has "refloated itself".

Smart boat ...
If it was that smart it wouldn't have got stuck in first place!

Yes, Beeb reporting has been re floated, although all the web news reports still saying won't be.......

Hopefully some film on TV later.
Old 7 Jan 2015, 18:54 (Ref:3490757)   #69
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just watching news and the ferry has decided to float away on her own .reminds me of a time when I was a retained fireman . We got called out as a horse was stuck in a ditch .We stood around scratching our heads I was down in the ditch blowing up it's nose . Then the next village fire engine turned up so now about ten fireman all scrating their heads I'm still talking to the horse and now coverd head to toe in mud . We then decided to get the wrecker out and strap the horse around it's belly then lift it out . So wrecker came then a full time pump from reading along with an officer . So after about two hours there are now nearly 30 fireman all coming up with daft ideas and I forgot a vet got called out as well . Anyway all of a Suden the horse decided enough was enough and she got up on her own And that was that .
Old 7 Jan 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3490765)   #70
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England

Sounds exactly the same scenario! Who do I complain to about the salvage anti climax?

Mind you, they've still got to get it upright......

Old 7 Jan 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3490772)   #71
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
They may well be OK as long as they don't get wet but how the hell could they be got off the ship at that angle ?
Not quite a job for pikies with a hiab
Just seen the amazing pics from this afternoon when the tide unexpectedly refloated the ship and they were towing it away, still listing very heavily......be interesting to see how the salvage operation goes
Old 7 Jan 2015, 19:51 (Ref:3490776)   #72
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Just watching news and the ferry has decided to float away on her own .reminds me of a time when I was a retained fireman . We got called out as a horse was stuck in a ditch .We stood around scratching our heads I was down in the ditch blowing up it's nose . Then the next village fire engine turned up so now about ten fireman all scrating their heads I'm still talking to the horse and now coverd head to toe in mud . We then decided to get the wrecker out and strap the horse around it's belly then lift it out . So wrecker came then a full time pump from reading along with an officer . So after about two hours there are now nearly 30 fireman all coming up with daft ideas and I forgot a vet got called out as well . Anyway all of a Suden the horse decided enough was enough and she got up on her own And that was that .
Must have been like a spring day with that many daffodils standing around

Pete Richards
Old 7 Jan 2015, 19:53 (Ref:3490777)   #73
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperClan View Post

Pete Richards
Hey, Happy New Year, Peter - how are you doing? You know Steve and I are hoping to be back on track in an Alfa 75 V6 this year?......medicals allowing
Old 7 Jan 2015, 21:22 (Ref:3490802)   #74
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperClan View Post

Pete Richards
Good to see the old Richards humer is still with you Pete. Happy New Year
Old 8 Jan 2015, 00:22 (Ref:3490855)   #75
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon - Steve Wright on Radio 2 is doing a thing all this week about the late 60's and hippies and what they got up to, wants people to tell him what they got up to, what they wore, where they went etc. He's on from 2pm till 5pm. When he starts I keep thinking about you
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Closed Thread