Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2004, 16:46 (Ref:1001829)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Racing honours - Who does / should have them?

Motor Racing was absent fromthe Queen's Birthday Honours this eyar, but in the past many anmes have been honoured. Frank Williams, Stirling Moss and Jackie Stewart are Knights, while Damon, Nigel, Murray, Hunt and Surtees all have various honours. Who do you think should get something, and at what level?
Old 12 Jun 2004, 16:49 (Ref:1001830)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jack Brabham has been knighted too.

And Ron Dennis has an honour also.

I'd like to see Sir Bernard C Ecclestone.

Love him or hate him, it's deserved.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 16:52 (Ref:1001833)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mansell should be knighted.....in my biased opinion!
Old 12 Jun 2004, 16:55 (Ref:1001842)   #4
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir Nigel Mansell..... Has quite a nice ring to it Never got to see hime race F1, though I remember his year in CART very impressive

Last edited by boom boom; 12 Jun 2004 at 16:56.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 16:58 (Ref:1001849)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I got to see him from middle 1989 to the end of his career.....nobody has given me more enjoyment or drama. He had his critics but you couldn't deny he had that draw to him.....it's why I find it hard to become attached to modern drivers.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 17:03 (Ref:1001856)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Surtees deserves a knighthood.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 17:12 (Ref:1001868)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Surtees deserves a knighthood.
Very good call.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 17:24 (Ref:1001884)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brabham would be a KBE (Knight of the British Empire) rather than a Sir, as he's not British. Rudy Giuliani got the same honour a coupel of years ago.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 17:24 (Ref:1001885)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Strange that John hasn't already been knighted....should have happened years ago!
Old 12 Jun 2004, 17:47 (Ref:1001927)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm surprised Nige wasn't knighted as soon as he won the '92 WDC!
Old 12 Jun 2004, 17:51 (Ref:1001945)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Brabham would be a KBE (Knight of the British Empire) rather than a Sir, as he's not British. Rudy Giuliani got the same honour a coupel of years ago.
Wrong!

It is Sir Jack Brabham.

Australia is part of the Commonwealth.

Elizabeth is Queen of Australia, therefore honours DO apply.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 18:26 (Ref:1001974)   #12
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
I'm surprised Nige wasn't knighted as soon as he won the '92 WDC!
I'm surprised Nige was'nt knifed at some stage...

Evidently, he was going to be knighted but they couldnt find a sword wide enough!
Old 12 Jun 2004, 21:54 (Ref:1002098)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
My mistake KB.

I don't think David Richards has anythign yet - he deserves at least an MBE having achieved stuff across differnet championships. Dan Wheldon too if he wins the IRL.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 08:14 (Ref:1002372)   #14
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Peerage for Max Mosley would be interesting - make him part of the legislature.

Aussies won't be getting knighthoods in future, the Lizard pulled them out of the honour system (he was probably jealous).

Surtees definitely should get a knighthood.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 09:08 (Ref:1002402)   #15
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sir Bernie Ecclestone would certainly be appropriate but I think he used up his favour with Tony Blair & Labour a couple of years back...

And I agree with Boots - an MBE for David Richards would be nice, he has made a significant contribution to motorsport in this country, from his early rallying days through Touring Cars and GTs to F1.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 09:16 (Ref:1002412)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Sir Bernie Ecclestone would certainly be appropriate but I think he used up his favour with Tony Blair & Labour a couple of years back...

That's OK - Michael Howard can give him it in 2006!
Old 13 Jun 2004, 09:18 (Ref:1002415)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sir Tom Walkinshaw??

Sir David Richards makes me laugh harder, his two Australian V8 Supercars both didnt finish the weekend over here with engine problems that have been unsolvable after almost 2 years of ownership

Sir Damon Hill??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Jun 2004, 09:22 (Ref:1002422)   #18
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Sir David Richards makes me laugh harder, his two Australian V8 Supercars both didnt finish the weekend over here with engine problems that have been unsolvable after almost 2 years of ownership.
Yeah, that really must keep Dave awake at night.

A bit off topic, but what cars was he running?
Old 13 Jun 2004, 09:23 (Ref:1002423)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:

Holden or Ford would be a fair bet!
Old 13 Jun 2004, 09:25 (Ref:1002426)   #20
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
That's what i thought. That'll teach him to stick with Subarus, Ferraris and Hondas in future...
Old 14 Jun 2004, 11:26 (Ref:1003398)   #21
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah, that really must keep Dave awake at night.

He's doing pretty well in F1 though. Hmmm.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 14 Jun 2004, 11:35 (Ref:1003411)   #22
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It should be pointed out that Downing Street has an Honours Nominations Unit, to which anyone can nominate someone for an honour. Perhaps you should do so if you feel strongly?

And yes, I have. I wrote to them a few years ago nominating John Surtees.

It is sometimes interesting to speculate on the criteria required for motorsport honours. Sir Frank Williams but Mr Patrick Head? Interesting. I'd have been tempted to knight them both. Also, though I'm by no means a fan, if Frank Williams has a knighthood Ron Dennis should probably get one too.

I think both Mansell and Hill have varying grades of the Order of the British Empire, and I suspect that they'll both get knighted eventually. David Richards is another candidate, but I'd also mention Derek Bell (think he's an MBE, but a promotion would be in order), Jonathan Palmer (does he have anything?) and Eddie Jordan (though would have to be honorary in his case - Irishman).