Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 29 Sep 2008, 12:33 (Ref:2300291)   #1
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it ITV4 won't be showing GP2 in the UK in 2009, what with F1 moving to BBC? I'm assuming GP2 came as part of the package? Anyone know if BBC are showing GP2 next year?
Old 29 Sep 2008, 15:51 (Ref:2300448)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I hear (and I'm going to say this as around 65% as it's from the mole on Digital Spy) they will be showing all the weekend live - which sounds like every session for everything - F1, GP2, Formula BMW and the kitchen sink unless there are rights issues (Read : V8 Supercars is the only possible problem but as Bernie deals with those rights there shouldn't be a problem).
Old 29 Sep 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2300565)   #3
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belting news if thats true.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 29 Sep 2008, 23:30 (Ref:2300759)   #4
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Showing all the weekend live on BBC? Really?!
Old 30 Sep 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2301087)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Why not?

Most of it would probably be on beeb online or on Beeb 3,4 or something?
Old 30 Sep 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2301107)   #6
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats great news if it is then.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2301148)   #7
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
OJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That'll be BBC interactive and/or BBC Online I guess. Brilliant news if that is true!!
Old 30 Sep 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2301491)   #8
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah it should all be on the BBCi service (red button). Our mole on DS has been correct with virtually everything he's said so far that has been reported. I don't know if any of you have seen this months F1 Racing magazine, but we joked that they had just copied our thread because they basically wrote what he had told us a month ealier!

He works in the interactive department so this is the area where he is especially in the know.

One of the few thing that remains to be seen is who will be the support race commentator(s). Lee McKenzie is one of the F1 pit reporters, but she should also be doing support races because of her past experience with below F1 formulae.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 21:48 (Ref:2301494)   #9
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Am I the only one who thinks this could be terrible news? I can't see the BBC giving much time on the actual channels, be it the mainstream ones or BBC3, to any support categories. It would be very sad if the only way to see GP2 live was online, or even on the interactive channels (awkward/impossible to record if you're out!) But I guess we'll wait and see...

Edit: Just saw sniper's reply... so it seems it is BBCi. Well, that's probably good news overall, just a nuisance if you're not in all day!

Last edited by jondownunder; 30 Sep 2008 at 21:50.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2301872)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
GP2 TV deal for 2009??

Moved from 08 thread.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2301879)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know why BBCi programming can't run on BBC3 or 4 during the day, while those channels aren't active. Compared to ordinary satellite channels the interactive streams are a hassle to reach, and impossible to record if you aren't in when they start. It's better than nothing, but not the best they could do.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 11:23 (Ref:2301908)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder
Am I the only one who thinks this could be terrible news? I can't see the BBC giving much time on the actual channels, be it the mainstream ones or BBC3, to any support categories. It would be very sad if the only way to see GP2 live was online, or even on the interactive channels (awkward/impossible to record if you're out!) But I guess we'll wait and see...

Edit: Just saw sniper's reply... so it seems it is BBCi. Well, that's probably good news overall, just a nuisance if you're not in all day!
There was also a suggestion on Digital Spy, though it hasn't been followed up recently that there would be some form of highlights package of supports on BBC 3 with a possible very late BBC2 rerun during the following week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I don't know why BBCi programming can't run on BBC3 or 4 during the day, while those channels aren't active. Compared to ordinary satellite channels the interactive streams are a hassle to reach, and impossible to record if you aren't in when they start. It's better than nothing, but not the best they could do.
Boots... these channels share transponders (especially on Digital Terrestrial) with the two BBC Kids channels. To extend the hours of BBC 3 would mean cutting back the hours of one of those, which would go against their licence and number of hours of Kids programming they are regulated for.
Apparently there is discussions to reduce the regulated hours to extend BBC3 and BBC4 but it would most likely mean that BBC3 become a more Teenage channel from afternoon upto 7pm.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 1 Oct 2008 at 11:28.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2301911)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Surely GP2 itself will get live TV channel airtime whether that's Beeb2, 3 or even 4- it's a big series now after all.

I can't see Flav and Bernie allowing it to be online only?
Old 1 Oct 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2301952)   #14
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie famously thinks the internet is nothing but pirates, so I can't see it being online only either...
Old 1 Oct 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2301966)   #15
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly hope so, and that contracts insist on live TV coverage (not BBCi).
Old 1 Oct 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2301972)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yep, well i'm sure there's plenty of air time available for sports coverage on Beeb 1 or 2 during saturday afternoons? There always has been even since Grandstand got canned.

Sunday is a little less clear however...
Old 1 Oct 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2302170)   #17
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Compared to ordinary satellite channels the interactive streams are a hassle to reach, and impossible to record if you aren't in when they start. It's better than nothing, but not the best they could do.
Jeez, you guys are hard to please! We are probably going to have the best TV coverage of a grand prix weekend of anywhere in the world. We should get every session of every series live. GP2 will most defiantly get full coverage, free practice, qualifying and both races live with no adverts. So what if it is on a channel that doesn't have an EPG, it is still on television.

About recording, no you can't do it with Sky+ or Virgin Media at the moment, but you can use a standalone Hard Disk recorder or DVD recorder, I also seem to remember something called a VCR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Surely GP2 itself will get live TV channel airtime whether that's Beeb2, 3 or even 4- it's a big series now after all.

I can't see Flav and Bernie allowing it to be online only?
Well firstly it won't be online only, secondly there are a whole bunch of reasons why they can't go on BBC3/4, mainly though because of the BBC Trust and their rules. About BBC2, I don't think GP2 is popular enough to warrent a place on terrestrial, it'd be cool if the sprint race was on BBC2 on Sunday mornings but it'd clash with 'Something for the weekend', I don't think they'd move it as it's quite popular.

Quote:
Certainly hope so, and that contracts insist on live TV coverage (not BBCi).
Well you watch the BBCi streams on a TV...
Old 1 Oct 2008, 17:43 (Ref:2302193)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You can record BBCi. It's either channel 301 or 302 (unless you are on Sky).

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper
Jeez, you guys are hard to please! We are probably going to have the best TV coverage of a grand prix weekend of anywhere in the world. We should get every session of every series live. GP2 will most defiantly get full coverage, free practice, qualifying and both races live with no adverts. So what if it is on a channel that doesn't have an EPG, it is still on television.
It does show up on the EPG as number 301 or 302.

Quote:
Well firstly it won't be online only, secondly there are a whole bunch of reasons why they can't go on BBC3/4, mainly though because of the BBC Trust and their rules.
BBC3 and BBC4 do not broadcast from 4am to 7pm. That time is used for Sprogvision.

Quote:
About BBC2, I don't think GP2 is popular enough to warrent a place on terrestrial, it'd be cool if the sprint race was on BBC2 on Sunday mornings but it'd clash with 'Something for the weekend', I don't think they'd move it as it's quite popular.
Not really needed if it is available on BBCi.

And BBCi is TV. You watch it on television, most people get it with an EPG number.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2302204)   #19
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does it all mean that if you want, and you're located in Britain, you can watch any of these practice/qualy/races online at some BBC website?
Old 1 Oct 2008, 18:14 (Ref:2302219)   #20
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
It does show up on the EPG as number 301 or 302.
On freeview it does, but I assumed that some of the others are using Sky instead of feeview as BootsOntheSide said "ordinary satellite channels".

Quote:
BBC3 and BBC4 do not broadcast from 4am to 7pm. That time is used for Sprogvision.
The BBC want to extend BBC 3's broadcasting hours but the BBC Trust are dragging their heels because of the children's TV commitments. Even if they did extend it (as ScotsBrutesFan said) it wouldn't be for sport but for BBC Switch programming...

Quote:
Not really needed if it is available on BBCi.

And BBCi is TV. You watch it on television, most people get it with an EPG number.
I know, that's what I was saying! I am glad it is on BBCi, I was trying to convince everybody else it was a good thing.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 18:19 (Ref:2302220)   #21
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi
Does it all mean that if you want, and you're located in Britain, you can watch any of these practice/qualy/races online at some BBC website?
Well we don't know for sure it'll be on their website, but probably yes. If it is available on their site everybody around the world should be able to watch it by using proxy servers, like people can do to watch Friday Free practice through ITV's online stream.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2302245)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

But are we really sure that the races won't be on one of the main channels though?

I was only watching a Silverstone and Thruxton F3000 race (and bizarrely a Fiesta race!) recorded off of BBC1 in the mid 80's the other day (may have been delayed though?) and with the sport being ridiculously more commercial nowadays (and therefore more significant) then it was back then, surely slotting in an hours coverage on Beeb 1 after qualy just before Final Score on Saturday's wouldn't create a problem? What doies the been show currently other than Rugby on Sat afternoons, repeats and cheap movie reruns?

If not then it'll have to be full, delayed coverage instead, that'll do I suppose.

They'll have to alternate it with their other sport contract commitments and that means juggling channels or something.

GP2 will surely recieve more 'main' coverage than the other support racing?

Definitely going to be interesting to see how they schedule it all!!
Old 1 Oct 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2302254)   #23
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well we don't know for sure it'll be on their website, but probably yes. If it is available on their site everybody around the world should be able to watch it by using proxy servers, like people can do to watch Friday Free practice through ITV's online stream.
That's great news for me! This year w/o Eurosport... it was quite bad
Old 2 Oct 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2302728)   #24
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Well you watch the BBCi streams on a TV...
On the subject of recording BBCi, I have Sky+ and also an HDD recorder. It would be a lot easier to record when away with Freeview, where duke_toaster rightly points out there are dedicated channels you could leave on.

But my problem is I only have Sky, so unless you're in on the day, I assume it's impossible to leave it on BBCi in advance, ready for recording with HDD or an old VCR.

Looks like I will have to upgrade the aerial and get a Freeview box then, because I'm not planning on missing my favourite series when away at race weekends or elsewhere!

I do agree with you the_sniper, it is an AWESOME thing to have every session on live. It's just a very real problem for those of us with Sky alone when we can't be in at the time. (I don't understand why Sky can't carry the BBCi channels as proper, numbered channels too?)
Old 2 Oct 2008, 12:58 (Ref:2302771)   #25
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll throw my hat into that ring too: I rely on watching the races on my Sky + so that I can find out what actually happened while I was there!

Tags
gp2