Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 11 Feb 2002, 23:15 (Ref:214307)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mystery stock-car crash needs identification

Can you identify this crash?

As you can see it's really hard to make out a lot of details, but that #83 car should be a pretty helpful hint.

Speculations are always welcome, but hard facts would obviously be preferred.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 02:33 (Ref:214364)   #2
Budmakesmewiser
Racer

Budmakesmewiser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bet it is dick skinner,i meen mike skinner,and wallass.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 04:05 (Ref:214376)   #3
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't be sure yet until I look at my tape, but I think it's the race from Talladega from 1987 when Bobby Allison ripped out all the fencing. This race was the reason they went to the restrictor plates...even though it wasn't the next season that they put the plates back on the cars. The season after that crash they tried smaller carburetors.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 05:30 (Ref:214399)   #4
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lars
Can't be sure yet until I look at my tape, but I think it's the race from Talladega from 1987 when Bobby Allison ripped out all the fencing. This race was the reason they went to the restrictor plates...even though it wasn't the next season that they put the plates back on the cars. The season after that crash they tried smaller carburetors.
That is what it appears to be to me too.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 08:24 (Ref:214413)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt it is Allison's crash, mainly for two reasons:

1. Allison's car never got that much airtime - it simply rises up, goes backwards into the fence and then bounces back down onto the track pretty much directly after the crash.

2. There is no other cars involved in Allison's crash, which contradicts that spinning car in the pic.

I was thinking it might be Lake Speed's flip in the 1989 Pepsi 400 at Daytona (since I haven't seen that crash - only read about it), but I haven't gotten any closer to identifying it as of yet.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 08:32 (Ref:214414)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Nevermind - I just had it identified. At least I got one of the drivers right, as well as the year.

It's Greg Sacks that flips, in the Dinner Bell #48, while Lake Speed is the driver of the #83 Bullseye car. Happened at Pocono in '89. Speed broke his collarbone in the wreck, Sacks was uninjured. Figures.

Hmm, come to think of it, I might have a vid of this crash, but I never knew what it was. I'll have to check once I get home.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 19:01 (Ref:214766)   #7
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad you got the pic identified.

But, I think there was a few cars involved in Bobby's crash? I thought I remember Phil Parsons with a lot of damage and Darrell Waltrip replacing his windsheild during the red flag? Nascar gave him the ok for safety reasons. I could be wrong though, it's been a few years since I watched that tape.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 22:40 (Ref:214993)   #8
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
There was only Allison directly involved in the crash, but I think several cars crashed in avoidance of Allison's stationary car, going through the debris that had been scattered about.
Old 12 Feb 2002, 22:48 (Ref:215002)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
In regards to the Sacks/Speed crash - I do think I have that one in MPEG, dumped some time ago; at least there's a yellow car doing a wild flip, at Pocono, with a red/white car nearby. It's captured from some distance, so it's pretty hard to make out any details on the cars.