Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 18 Mar 2003, 16:05 (Ref:540251)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Swiss motorsport ban to be lifted?

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=22246&s=5

Autosport are saying that after nearly a 50 year ban politicians in Switzerland are pushing for the country to lift its ban on motorsport.

They are giving a GP slant on this, but could we see other series racing there? Euro F3, Sportscars?

What is the present state of Swiss motorsport and potential tracks
there. I have to admit I know nothing! IIRC there is some motorsport in Switzerland, mainly hillclimbs? Excuse my ignorance.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 16:10 (Ref:540254)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought all the "Swiss" events were held in either Germany, France or Italy. They did have a massive hillclimb venue and wasn't the Bremgarten circuit in Switzerland?

But nothing happens there now as far as I know.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 17:16 (Ref:540305)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 5-mile Bremgarten circuit was indeed layed out on public roads within Switzerland's borders. There used to be some permanent facilities, but I expect they've been redeveloped in the last half century.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 17:38 (Ref:540324)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motor RACING was banned in Switzerland in 1956,as a result of the fatal accidents involving spectators at Geneva and Le Mans.This law apparently also covers bikes & karts(which had not then been invented!)rallies,hill climbs & slaloms have always been legal.
If they really are going to repeal this obsolete law and revive the Bremengarten circuit with modern safety barriers this would be fantastic.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 21:21 (Ref:540534)   #5
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Keep this quiet, or else Hermann Tilke might find out and build a flat, featureless track in the middle of the most striking scenery in Europe.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 08:06 (Ref:540927)   #6
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Being just a smidge cynical, I wonder if this has more to do with the Swiss wanting to bring money into the country?...

I find it ironic that a country that arbitrarily banned motorsport because of a tragedy that happened in france, and has some of the most draconian traffic/speeding laws on the planet (even worse than Northampton police ) should now be actively seeking the reintroduction of motorsport..
Old 19 Mar 2003, 09:22 (Ref:540987)   #7
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I recall Autosprt suggests its because the Swiss are not in the EU and have therefore not banned cigarette advertising - I detect the hand of Bernie - which probably means another Tilke circuit
Old 19 Mar 2003, 13:11 (Ref:541131)   #8
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
It could be another street circuit!
Old 19 Mar 2003, 14:43 (Ref:541213)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by josvandeperre
As I recall Autosprt suggests its because the Swiss are not in the EU and have therefore not banned cigarette advertising - I detect the hand of Bernie - which probably means another Tilke circuit

edited for inappropriate content
Old 19 Mar 2003, 19:42 (Ref:541463)   #10
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I thought that the Swiss only banned circuit racing. I remember watching the Swiss F3 championship last year, maybe the year before. All circuit races were held in a selection of neighbouring countries - I remember Dijon (home of the Swiss GP! ) being one. However, there were a large number of Hill Climbs in the season and I am positive that they were held on Switzerland.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 08:19 (Ref:541885)   #11
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct Asp.Hill Climbs sprints,rally stages,slaloms & motocross ARE still held in Swtzerland. No permanent circuits have ever been built,so there was some disscusion a few years ago as to whether the law only applied to closed public roads.Know any Swiss lawyers?
Old 20 Mar 2003, 10:41 (Ref:541984)   #12
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see Switzerland back on the world racing scene, but it better not be that bloody Tilke moron building any potential venue
Old 20 Mar 2003, 10:59 (Ref:541999)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He does good grandstands!
Old 21 Mar 2003, 21:01 (Ref:543545)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Here's some background on the state of Swiss motorsport. Not good news about Bremgarten, I'm afraid.

http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cir-072.html

A map here shows the state of the track in 2000. I expect there's a lot more built up around here than is shown, though.

http://home.datacomm.ch/srcb/bremgar...reste_2000.jpg

In translation, the red parts are still there, the purple have become footpaths, and the yellow parts have been plowed under.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 21 Mar 2003 at 21:06.