Old 12 May 2004, 17:40 (Ref:968944)   #51
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keke is at number 23.
Peterson is at 19.

The 100th placed driver is actually 4 drivers in joint 97th; Harry Schnell, Mike Parkes, Lella Lombardi and Karl King.
Old 12 May 2004, 18:14 (Ref:968982)   #52
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Outrageous! Karl King was head and shoulders above Harry Schnell.

Old 12 May 2004, 19:25 (Ref:969061)   #53
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
lol! Exactly! The only one of those 4 I'd even heard of was Lombardi.
Old 12 May 2004, 19:41 (Ref:969074)   #54
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ryo28
I originally thought about 50 races would be right, but then thought about drivers like Button/Montoya/Raikkonen... also by the end of this season Alonso/Webber will have done 50 ish starts as well...and as you said it took Mansell and Hakinen longer than 50 starts to show their full potential - its a tricky one...
But remember, these days there are more races in a season. That means that a driver in his first or second season, which is often done in a mediocre car, now has over 30 GPs to his name. Whereas, it might take a decent driver in the fifties 10-20 races, usually less as 'contracts' were rather more fluid then

And yes, some drivers do seem to take longer anyway, for whatever reason.
Old 12 May 2004, 19:48 (Ref:969081)   #55
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No offence, but I suspect Lombardis appearance was courtesy of the fact that she was the only female driver to score a world championship point (half) and not because of being one of the 100 best GP drivers ever.

It's a dubious list all round really once you're outside the top ten.
Old 12 May 2004, 19:50 (Ref:969085)   #56
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True. Well, actually I think the top 10 is a little dubious too, but then these lists are not - and never will be - definitive.

Last edited by krt917; 12 May 2004 at 19:50.
Old 12 May 2004, 22:16 (Ref:969263)   #57
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Well the curious thing is knowlesy, the list was made up from 77 'experts' listing their top 25 in order. That she got 1 point by the scoring system in the poll means that one of the 77 put her in their top 25 .
Old 1 Jun 2004, 12:50 (Ref:990289)   #58
emmer
Rookie

Japan
emmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"F1 Racing" Top 100 Formula 1 drivers

sorry if it had already been posted.
Quote:
1 Senna... .
my favourite ones (clark and senna) are top 5.

here's a little tribute i made a month ago (for may 1st) to a friend of mine. she asked me to make any image (in 500x500, so she could upload it to fotolog.net - http://www.fotolog.net/bymila/?photo_id=7767143) using the photo on the left.

[EDIT: I've just removed soem stuff in the quotes due to copyright. See this post. Cheers /EDIT]

Last edited by Adam43; 1 Jun 2004 at 22:07.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 13:05 (Ref:990320)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are some surprising names way too far up that list.......

But then I guess that's pretty well inevitable.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 13:20 (Ref:990343)   #60
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they'd asked 3-4,000 people to nominate their top 5-10 (not 25) favorite (not "best") drivers, I'd might pay attention, otherwise sorry, that's just another column in tomorrow's paper.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 13:43 (Ref:990372)   #61
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not neccessarily in the exact order provided, but i think only top 10 are there on merit. Further down the order, some drivers got more than what they deserve, some got less than deserve..but i guess it's only normal considering the sample size.

And i think modern drivers stand a slight advantage because the memories are fresher.

Anyways, nice image there!

Last edited by Gt_R; 1 Jun 2004 at 13:43.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 14:53 (Ref:990439)   #62
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Grrr... Clark at no. 4... absurd. He has to be at the top. Grrr...
Old 1 Jun 2004, 16:22 (Ref:990508)   #63
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Top 10 is OK.
Top 20 getting a bit shaky, and there are some like Hawthorn, Brooks and Collins that ought to be much higher.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 16:58 (Ref:990540)   #64
Zep
Rookie

Zep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This list is bu.. ..it!
Old 1 Jun 2004, 17:42 (Ref:990581)   #65
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When I see Jarier and Panis, whom I like, ABOVE the way more talented Revson and Hailwood.... Grrrr. Clearly, the list is biased toward modern drivers. But Behra at 54??????? Hobbbes??? Above Revon??? Even David wouldn't agree with that one!
Old 1 Jun 2004, 17:55 (Ref:990600)   #66
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've got to ask yourself, is Schumacher better than Clark, is Häkkinen better than Gilles... and certainly are Räikkönen and Alonso already better than Jacques Villeneuve, Phil Hill, Denny Hulme, Stefan Bellof... et al who have been champions or should've been champions?

To me the only thing right is that Ralf is way beneath his contemporaries. He is behind Michael, Mika, Damon, Jacques, Kimi, Alonso, Montoya, Alesi, Barrichello, DC, Irvine, Fisichella, Trulli, Webber, Frenzten, Panis and Herbert. Now THAT's accurate.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 18:31 (Ref:990631)   #67
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Agreed. The list basically outlines what the 'experts' remember about the past drivers and what they think the current crop current potentially become.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 18:36 (Ref:990637)   #68
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't we discuss the very same list here a few weeks back.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 18:37 (Ref:990638)   #69
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Dave Walker???????

He wouldn't make the top thousand. No points in a WC winning car?
Old 1 Jun 2004, 18:40 (Ref:990646)   #70
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Fisichella 66,von Trips only 75,they must be smoking something funny.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 18:41 (Ref:990647)   #71
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Didn't we discuss the very same list here a few weeks back.
Yes, I put it up.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 18:52 (Ref:990664)   #72
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thought I recognised it!

Also, with regards the first post on this thread - is it really on to cut and paste verbatim someone else's post from a totally different website forum?
Old 1 Jun 2004, 18:53 (Ref:990665)   #73
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Chris Amon was on the radio last week and they asked him about the list,he was happy to be No33.His top picks were Senna,Fangio,Clark,Moss,Schumacher,with Senna as the best ever in his opinion.
He also said he wasn't worried about never winning a Championship GP,as he had won several F1 races,only they weren't Championship races the season he won them.i.e Race of Champions.
He was quite happy to have raced in the era he did and survive it,which a lot of his contempories didn't.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 20:59 (Ref:990820)   #74
emmer
Rookie

Japan
emmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Thought I recognised it!

Also, with regards the first post on this thread - is it really on to cut and paste verbatim someone else's post from a totally different website forum?
not sure if i got what you mean, but i think it (to c&p verbatim) is okay.

sorry for starting a "repeated" thread. i did search before starting, but my keywords were the number of points of senna and fangio.

Last edited by emmer; 1 Jun 2004 at 21:01.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 21:57 (Ref:990874)   #75
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It isn't on to cut and paste a whole article from somewhere else. It infringes copyright. Extracts along with a reference (or even better a link, if available is the way forward). This outlines in the forum rules. There is also a good thread about this in Sportscar at the moment, click here to go to it.

Thanks

Last edited by Adam43; 1 Jun 2004 at 21:59.