Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jun 2004, 03:39 (Ref:999273)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Whitmarsh: The new mac will bring us to the top

From Gazzetta:

"La MP4-19B è così buona da riportarci al vertice - ha detto il manager al settimanale Motorsport News -. Prima della fine della stagione vogliamo vincere due o tre gare e crediamo di avere un programma in grado di permettercelo"

The MP4-19B is so good that it'll bring us back to the top, he said to Motorsport News. Before the end of the year, we want to win two or three races and we think we have a program that will permit us to do so.

Sure would be nice to have another car battling with the Bars, Ferraris and Renaults. Lets hope its not just hot air.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 03:44 (Ref:999274)   #2
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hopefully
Old 10 Jun 2004, 05:28 (Ref:999292)   #3
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Whitmarsh: The new mac will bring us to the top

Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Lets hope its not just hot air.
Nope, there was enough dissapointments with Macs. Let's not hope, and let them surprise us.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 05:42 (Ref:999304)   #4
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They said the same thing about the MP4-18
Old 10 Jun 2004, 06:23 (Ref:999316)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes avsfan733,

it's the typical ritual decarations that are made when issuing a new car, by any team.
What else can they say?

Considering the past two cars, I won't believe it till I see the results.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 09:55 (Ref:999464)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The first signs of Mercedes frustration are emerging.

Autosport are reporting that Mercedes boss Jurgen Hubbert has "launched a scathing attack on McLaren Mercedes decision to opt for a radical design" - referring to the 2003 unraced MP4-18.

"We went to extremes regarding the chassis and also the engine. That was a huge mistake. The current engine is a huge problem.....We went into a dead end"

He was also furious at the very public engine failures the team suffered on home soil and no doubt infront of all the Mercedes top brass. These have now been isolated to new pistons that were unproven. Hubbert commented that new pistons were installed and "I would have liked to have been asked about that beforehand"

He also makes the point that "the team only had itself to blame" - (for it's disastrous 2004 so far)'

I would reckon there have been some uncomfortable meetings for Ron D and the others within Ilmor, which puts even more pressure on the revised car to perform and the engines to maintain reliability.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 10 Jun 2004 at 09:57.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 10:30 (Ref:999497)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hubberts words are more directed towards the engine side rather than Ron Dennis.

As for Martin Whitmarsh's comments - it's rare to see someone so specifically positive about a new car.

If that's what he's saying, I believe him.

McLaren always bounce back, usually stronger than they were to begin with.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 11:16 (Ref:999548)   #8
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Confident predictions from Martin Whitmarsh there. I'll believe it when I see it.

But, I note, it's from the Gazetta. Is it a real quote??
Old 10 Jun 2004, 11:47 (Ref:999565)   #9
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Its Gazzetta quoting Motorsport News.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 12:22 (Ref:999589)   #10
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly off topic, but regarding the new smaller McLaren road car that is planned. I think McLaren will buy TVR and give themselves a head start in this segment.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 13:39 (Ref:999670)   #11
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mr Hubert is just whingeing.
While Mclaren may take several months (at least) to have the best car again,mercedes will take several YEARS before they'll have the best motor again!(if they ever do-it's not a certainty y'know.....)
Old 10 Jun 2004, 13:48 (Ref:999683)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If this car isn't a big improvement on the previous 2, the embarassment for McLaren would be severe, and I suspect West would have to consdier their position of backing them.

Even if the car is brilliant, they'll be a long way behind on development and setup data, and it would instantly be off he pace once everyone else bring their 2005 models out (although maybe, as in 2003, they can build up a lead based on superior reliability and consistancy). There's no doubt that this is McLaren's biggest crisis in a decade, with no immediate way out. Salvaging anything above 5th this eyar looks unlikely.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 16:19 (Ref:999821)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren's first race with new car:

*BOOM*

Sounds of Mercedes engines blowing up!
Old 10 Jun 2004, 16:40 (Ref:999840)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Question is will Merc up their game as well!
Old 10 Jun 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1000012)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well Jurgen Hubbert has been criticising Ilmor publicly so expect some improvement soon! Or heads will roll.....
Old 10 Jun 2004, 19:25 (Ref:1000016)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heads already have rolled at Ilmor.

And with Martin Whitmarsh taking personal responsibility for that side of things now, I expect things will be turned round.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:05 (Ref:1000527)   #17
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the new car have a new engine from Mercedes.

Maybe the new car will be the fastest in F1 (I said Maybe!!!), but if Mercedes don't make the engine last a race weekend, then they have no hope!!!!!!!!!!!!