Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jun 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1001073)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Success goes to Jensons head!! thinks he is better than MS!!!!

So Jenson Button thinks he is better than everyone on the grid... the best as he says...

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...11194609.shtml

Jenson i think needs to be reminded that MS has won races when he didnt have the best machinery (96)...

I think on current form he may be 2nd best but is a long way away from Schu....

Infact i think JPM and Kimi are also better than Jenson... they have the experience though he may be surpass them....
Old 11 Jun 2004, 19:48 (Ref:1001077)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There may be other drivers better than Jenson, but it's only right that he believes he's the best.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 20:12 (Ref:1001089)   #3
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
He's starting to believe his own hype much the same as JPM did when he first "arrived".

One of the things lacking on most other F1 teams is humility and class. I never seem to hear Ferrari boasting or bragging; just modestly accepting their position and complimenting their rivals.

Of course it's easy when you're on top but even last season the focus of their comments were on their continued support of Bridgestone and the desire to get it together, not bragging or bravado on how they would win because they were the best or better than anyone.

Every race is described as "difficult or a challenge". Competitors are "worthy and challenging". Maybe they should start making comments like" we're so good we'll leave BAR and the rest in the dust"!

Love them or hate them, they are a class act.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 20:50 (Ref:1001118)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Spritle

One of the things lacking on most other F1 teams is humility and class. I never seem to hear Ferrari boasting or bragging; just modestly accepting their position and complimenting their rivals.
Obviously I've been listening to a different Ross Brawn than you!
Old 11 Jun 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1001125)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's wrong with saying that.....shows he's confident in himself. What do you expect him to say? That he thinks he's a bit rubbish? Jeez....
Old 11 Jun 2004, 21:01 (Ref:1001127)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Then again, ask him who he admires the most in F1, and he'll answer Michael.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 21:05 (Ref:1001130)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If you look at Ayrton (Senna) when Alain (Prost) came along he didn't have a choice as to who his team-mate was."
Uhm,... wasn't it the other way around?
Old 11 Jun 2004, 21:13 (Ref:1001135)   #8
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Spritle
He's starting to believe his own hype much the same as JPM did when he first "arrived".
Sorry to say this but JB believing his own publicity is nothing new - he did it in 98/99 when he was in FFord and F3.

I realise that I'm setting myself up for attack here, but I saw all of his FF and F3 races and IMO he's never been quite as good as he is in his own head...
Old 11 Jun 2004, 21:45 (Ref:1001160)   #9
graves
Racer

England
Sheffield UK
graves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
What's wrong with saying that.....shows he's confident in himself. What do you expect him to say? That he thinks he's a bit rubbish? Jeez....
There's really no need to say anything. He's just opening himself up to look stupid.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 21:52 (Ref:1001167)   #10
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair play to him. Look he is in a top team in this years championship and not like some he has to race his team mate. Its so refreshing to see this and hear this IMO this is what f1 has been lacking.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 21:58 (Ref:1001174)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some of us would rather hear everybody saying that they are rubbish and immediately roll over to the "far superior" Schuey Snr. Get a grip, that's the last thing we want!
Old 11 Jun 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1001178)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not me, that guy! *points at Red*
Old 11 Jun 2004, 22:04 (Ref:1001180)   #13
graves
Racer

England
Sheffield UK
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Some of us would rather hear everybody saying that they are rubbish and immediately roll over to the "far superior" Schuey Snr. Get a grip, that's the last thing we want!
Let his driving do the takin' and all that?? Like I said, just keep quiet and get on with it. Mind tricks arn't gonna work on MS now. Too wise my friend.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 22:06 (Ref:1001184)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

True, mind games won't work....but I don't necessarily think these are mind games. Just a statement of self belief!
Old 11 Jun 2004, 22:11 (Ref:1001185)   #15
graves
Racer

England
Sheffield UK
Maybe, but don't you think he should wait until he has definitely put Sato to one side before making statements like that?
Old 11 Jun 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1001191)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, that may be wiser. But again, if he has the self belief to make statements like that then fine!

He could come up smelling of roses, he could look stupid. I'm sure he knows that, it's down to him!
Old 11 Jun 2004, 23:01 (Ref:1001215)   #17
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he gets beaten to often in timed practice by Sato and Davidson to say he is clearly the best driver in his team let alone the hole gride. On current form and with a bit of luck Sato could beat Button to the first win.

Last edited by XJR14/WSC95; 11 Jun 2004 at 23:03.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 23:21 (Ref:1001226)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button's certainly full of himself. I'd really like to hear how he justifies it. He's done pretty well this season, but can we really say that he's brought his car up further than it ought to be? I don't think so. While I don't know that MS's raw speed necessarly reflects his record, there is no question that many a lesser competitor in faster vehicles have been beaten by him.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 23:49 (Ref:1001233)   #19
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love hearing a statement like that come from Button, and I'm sure his team loves it to.

Remember, he took over a team in disarray, a team that had a whiny driver with a losing mentality, and in one season, he has transformed there attitude, to that of a winner. Its confident statements like that, that have his team working extra hard for him, and believing that they can win again...

If you were a team member, which driver would you go the extra mile for?

Danica Patrick
Old 12 Jun 2004, 00:18 (Ref:1001244)   #20
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's only natural for drivers to show a level of self-belief.

But at least, make it believable. Jenson definitely has the potential to be one great driver, but it's amusing that he said "MS's success is hugely due to car, it's easy to perform with the best machinery" when it is precisely the machinery that gave Button a chance to display his talent...he wasnt really anywhere in his stint before BAR came along strong.

But i guess he needed this self-boost. Sato is now snapping at his heels, out pacing him at a few races etc. It's good that drivers show a level of aggressiveness...but of course, don't claim to be the all and everything of F1, because it'd make u look stupid when you fail to deliver just ask a few drivers around ...
Old 12 Jun 2004, 01:17 (Ref:1001275)   #21
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Button was a bit arrogant there... I kind of dont agree with his self-assessment. I think he has the potential to be among the best. Right now, he's just not there.

To be honest, I was surprised to hear Button say this.. he might've been misquoted. He doesnt really have a big mouth (like e.g. Juan Pablo). We might hear a denial statement within few days.

Last edited by freud; 12 Jun 2004 at 01:20.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 04:39 (Ref:1001358)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
There may be other drivers better than Jenson, but it's only right that he believes he's the best.
100% agree.

There is no way you could drive those cars at that speed without believing you are the best thing since sliced bread.

Saying it publically however, is a little silly (assuming he really said it, and that I'm sceptical about).
Old 12 Jun 2004, 07:41 (Ref:1001428)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He needs to be positive and there can be nothing wrong in self belief. However I don't think he's living up to any "hype" because the reports are all based on his results since last year.

Nevertheless to say it is a bit daft but if he didn't say something we'd be talking about somebody else like JV!!!!!!
Old 12 Jun 2004, 12:45 (Ref:1001657)   #24
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
As a driver I think I am the best on the grid.
Nothing wrong with that.
In the end, he has to try to win the WDC. And he won't be able to do that as long as he thinks other drivers are better than him.

Quote:
Michael is just doing the best he can and he has won because he has been the best driver at the time.
Looks to me as if he *does* realise that Michael has done a lot to deserve the titles he won and the position he is in today.
However, Jenson *has* to believe that Michael is somewhat over his top.
It might even be enough if Michael keeps driving races at the same level, while slightly losing his value as development driver. That way, Bar/Renault/Williams/McLaren would have a decent chance of closing the gap.

But if Jenson would believe that Michael is racing as good as he used to be *and* that Michael is developing the Ferrari as much as in his prime years, Jenson would not really believe in his chances of beating Michael.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1001666)   #25
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
He needs to be positive and there can be nothing wrong in self belief. However I don't think he's living up to any "hype" because the reports are all based on his results since last year.

Nevertheless to say it is a bit daft but if he didn't say something we'd be talking about somebody else like JV!!!!!!
You hit the nail on the head