Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Aug 2013, 07:25 (Ref:3286011)   #101
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I do not know if any of those on your list would do the job as well as Vettel. I for one doubt it, I think that Vettel is way more talented than people give him credit for, and he has 3 WDCs to back that claim.

The test would be, would he be WDC if he was driving the second placed car in the championship, in all three of his WDCs I think the answer would be yes! Remembering that he was still very young and inexperienced in 2010.

He has the outright pace to compete with Lewis and the consistency and intelligence of Alonso!

Would anyone beat him in equal equipment But doubtful.
I suppose we all see different things in each driver. I'm aware how talented Vettel is and know any winning package needs a good pilot to deliver the goods. The key word in any win is package and Red Bull have without doubt, had the best package for the past 4 years. What they have been able to produce that every other team has faltered on from time to time is consistency. This doesn't necessarily mean from the driver but from the pit crews and strategy advisor's etc. Vettel has extracted the best out of the car, but I think its also rather ignorant to play down the talent of the likes of Alonso and Hamilton who are also proven WDC's.

There seems to be a consensus up the pitlane that suggests Alonso is the most complete driver, Hamilton the outright fastest, and Vettel the most consistent. I don't think I disagree with that. They are all winners and all have different strengths. You give either of these guys a winning car and you'll get a World Championship, simple as that. I think if you ever put them in the same car, you'd have quite a race on your hands. Its extremely difficult to call.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 07:58 (Ref:3286018)   #102
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I totally agree, it would be extremely difficult to call and that's why as F1 fans we'd all love to watch it unfold.It would be good for F1 too, just imagine the effect on TV audiences and mileage the press would get from it.

We all witnessed the Alonso/Hamiliton pairing - I think everyone, but McLaren, found it riveting and both drivers dug deep and were excellent.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 08:16 (Ref:3286026)   #103
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
I totally agree, it would be extremely difficult to call and that's why as F1 fans we'd all love to watch it unfold.It would be good for F1 too, just imagine the effect on TV audiences and mileage the press would get from it.
I agree it would be riveting to watch and us fans would be very excited by the concept. I don't think it would have a massive effect on TV audiences though. They are in decline due to the push onto pay TV and they will naturally go down due to the circumstances. Spicing up the show would have little difference as less people have access the F1 these days. Three years ago I never thought I'd be saying that.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 08:38 (Ref:3286030)   #104
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The satirical, and quite excellent, on-line publication The Daily Mash refers to F1 drivers as "car pointers" - maybe some truth in that!

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/...-2013032663802

It would do F1 no harm to change this image possibly perceived by millions of casual observers.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 21:31 (Ref:3286319)   #105
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
That's because Alonso,Hamilton,Raikkonen and Button have, at some point, been paired with an equally outstanding team mate.

So far Vettel hasn't.
When I read those names I don't think about how great it was they paired up with the best but rather I remember the disappointment and or the failure from when they did.

whats the gladiatorial aspect that the great pairings are known for? vindictive accidents, pitlane shenanigans, back room fighting...that's not really F1 for me either.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3286329)   #106
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
I always thought F1 was about who had the quickest reaction time.
I'm thinking this might have an underlying metaphor. However,

Apparently it isn't. I remember talk that while F1 drivers do have good reaction times they aren't that special. The make up of the best drivers is more than that.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 23:02 (Ref:3286348)   #107
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
When I read those names I don't think about how great it was they paired up with the best but rather I remember the disappointment and or the failure from when they did.

whats the gladiatorial aspect that the great pairings are known for? vindictive accidents, pitlane shenanigans, back room fighting...that's not really F1 for me either.
Yup!

... and lost Championships!
Old 5 Aug 2013, 23:10 (Ref:3286350)   #108
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I'm thinking this might have an underlying metaphor. However,

Apparently it isn't. I remember talk that while F1 drivers do have good reaction times they aren't that special. The make up of the best drivers is more than that.
There was a show about what makes racers fast that I caught once, where the host looked into different aspects or keys to racing talent. iirc the fast drivers were wired to take risks without the normal fear associated with danger and the very fast ones were able to multitask much better than normal, much like fighter pilots. Schumi was even in it too. I would love to know the name of that show if anyone knows, it would be nice to take another look.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 17:19 (Ref:3286581)   #109
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Yes, I remember reading in Autosport a few years ago that Ferrari had tested their drivers for various things, and Schumacher's reaction times weren't particularly special, so it was something else making him so fast.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3286601)   #110
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Did anyone see BBC Four's 'Hammond Meets Moss'?

During the course of the interview, Stirling Moss said that before the accident, he never had to think about what he had to do while racing, it was automatic. However, post accident he did; the result, he was slower and never as competitive.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 19:35 (Ref:3286615)   #111
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

During the course of the interview, Stirling Moss said that before the accident, he never had to think about what he had to do while racing, it was automatic. However, post accident he did; the result, he was slower and never as competitive.
Some friends showed me 'Hammond meets Moss' in March after I had an accident and resulting brain injury. Thankfully I recovered very quickly without any ill effects but I could relate to their experiences simply from what happened in my healing process.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3286654)   #112
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

A similar thing happened to Piquet after his crash at Imola 87...
Old 6 Aug 2013, 21:35 (Ref:3286655)   #113
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now what was this thread about again?
Old 6 Aug 2013, 23:06 (Ref:3286687)   #114
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Now what was this thread about again?
Alonso to Red Bull in 2014?
Old 7 Aug 2013, 00:44 (Ref:3286706)   #115
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's boring...
Old 7 Aug 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3286990)   #116
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope so. Ferrari don't deserve to have Alonso. And what's all this stuff from Di Montezemolo being highly critical of the FIA's handling of the Mercedes testing.
http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsp...ry/119835.html
Blatant cheating, well yeh probably. Does he not remember 2003, when Ferrari persuaded the FIA to have the rules changed to outlaw those Michelin front tyres which helped the Williams and McLaren out-do the Ferrari increasingly as the season wore on?
Don't get me started because I could go on and on. I have heard audio tapes of Bruce McLaren's days in the 60s dealing with Ferrari's dodgy ways. They aren't squeaky clean. Rather amusing. Ferrari entering another two decades of nothing until the next Schumacher comes along, oh wait, he is there now, but they have squandered that opportunity...
Old 7 Aug 2013, 18:47 (Ref:3286998)   #117
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Don't you know you Ferrari...
Old 7 Aug 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3287057)   #118
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Alonso to Red Bull in 2014?
I wonder when they shall announce it. Before or after Renault announce Webber is driving for them?
Old 7 Aug 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3287063)   #119
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2001 View Post
Hope so. Ferrari don't deserve to have Alonso. And what's all this stuff from Di Montezemolo being highly critical of the FIA's handling of the Mercedes testing.
http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsp...ry/119835.html
Blatant cheating, well yeh probably. Does he not remember 2003, when Ferrari persuaded the FIA to have the rules changed to outlaw those Michelin front tyres which helped the Williams and McLaren out-do the Ferrari increasingly as the season wore on?
Don't get me started because I could go on and on. I have heard audio tapes of Bruce McLaren's days in the 60s dealing with Ferrari's dodgy ways. They aren't squeaky clean. Rather amusing. Ferrari entering another two decades of nothing until the next Schumacher comes along, oh wait, he is there now, but they have squandered that opportunity...
The Michelin tyres were outside the technical specifications!

The width of the front tyres exceeded the spec. As I recall the side walls were too wide and allowed increased tread contact under load.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/3080936.stm

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Motor+...t.-a0107387130

Bit of an irony that Braun was at the centre of both "events", and on opposite sides of the interpretation!
Old 9 Aug 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3287646)   #120
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2001 View Post
Ferrari entering another two decades of nothing until the next Schumacher comes along, oh wait, he is there now, but they have squandered that opportunity...
Alonso isn't Schumacher. But yes they could be en route to 20+ years in the wilderness with or without Alonso.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3287649)   #121
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Alonso isn't Schumacher.
Yep, I guess we have to be grateful for that..........
Old 9 Aug 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3287654)   #122
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Alonso isn't Schumacher. But yes they could be en route to 20+ years in the wilderness with or without Alonso.
As long as Domenicali is there, I believe so.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 16:56 (Ref:3287666)   #123
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yep, I guess we have to be grateful for that..........
Quite... we wouldn't want Ferrari running rings around everyone again
Old 9 Aug 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3287668)   #124
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yeah right.......
Old 9 Aug 2013, 18:33 (Ref:3287703)   #125
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
As long as Domenicali is there, I believe so.
why do you think that is? he seems very capable but is he just not ruthless enough?