Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3750692)   #251
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trouble I find with F1 (most motorsport actually) is that, obviously, being such an expensive sport - mostly on the mega rich/connected get to the top, this the gulf in class from the fastest to slowest (most talented / least talented), considering there's only 20 guys out there, is quite vast.

I mean, Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Verstappen - all being on the same grid, in the elite formula, as Jolyon Palmer, Kvyat, Stroll, Ericsson - probably shows there's a gap of up to a second from fastest to slowest in terms of raw speed from fastest to slowest guy.

Point being, looks to me outside the aforementioned, I just see a bunch of rich kids out there making up the numbers / blocking out the emerging talents in the lower formula (other rich kids, mostly).

As the seasons are going by, I'm not really sure what people are seeing in Carlos that shows supposed star quality. He's clearly a nice guy, and previous mechanics who worked with both he and Kvyat speak highly of Sainz.

But, I've not seen a true elbows-out drive from him - just some extremely solid races. Nothing that to me suggests utter star quality.

Maybe I'm missing something (probably).
Old 13 Jul 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3750894)   #252
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy, 17 Jun 2017, 21:15 View Post
This will not be the last we have heard of Kubica and F1. Watch this space.
Kubica's second test with Renault Yesterday.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40587621

Fan video of Kubica on track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8_nSLAq2tg

More news to follow.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 22:57 (Ref:3751535)   #253
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
The latest news from pitlane suggesting McLaren have had another meeting with Renault regarding an engine supply deal. The meeting at Silverstone was a lengthy one apparently.

Also, Honda have approached Toro Rosso regarding a partnership for 2018. In the wake of Fred Vasseur confirming Sauber are renegotiating the Honda supply deal, and the potential divorce from McLaren, Honda are looking for a team to supply engines to next year. Or face leaving F1.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 08:20 (Ref:3751586)   #254
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
There will be a lot of very extensively written contracts to untangle which may require substantial sums of money to change hands in some of that though....

I see McLaren and Honda staying together if Alonso leaves...

STR-Honda? I cannot see that...
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3751645)   #255
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm not sure why any team would willingly walk into a honda deal unless it was a genuine case of not surviving financially if they don't?
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:28 (Ref:3751650)   #256
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i'm not sure why any team would willingly walk into a honda deal unless it was a genuine case of not surviving financially if they don't?
Indeed, That could be the case for at least 3 teams!!
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:28 (Ref:3751651)   #257
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It is perhaps a leap of faith for Red Bull
Imagine if the Honda gets good in a hurry...
They can switch engines for the following year into the main team
Winning..
Or if it poops itself, its only STR....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Jul 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3751777)   #258
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Another dismal afternoon for the Spaniard. Back of the grid so they change a lot of engine parts rather than have to do so in Budapest, and the thing goes phut. How much longer can he put up with this?
Old 16 Jul 2017, 17:46 (Ref:3751941)   #259
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Not for much longer he might as well start his own team and get a Mercedes engine
Old 16 Jul 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3751959)   #260
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Because Honda are works multinational giant with a championship/race winning pedigree. So there's nothing to lose for a lower-midfield team and may just be the ladder needed for them to get into the big time even if it's a few years down the road.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3751972)   #261
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Kubica's second test with Renault Yesterday.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40587621

Fan video of Kubica on track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8_nSLAq2tg

More news to follow.
Hmmm. I just don't see it happening.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 22:16 (Ref:3752044)   #262
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Hmmm. I just don't see it happening.
Based on what? The earliest there can really be any conclusiveness is going to be at the test in Hungary where he will run the 2017 car.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 04:38 (Ref:3752064)   #263
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been thinking that the STR / Honda hookup could be on the cards for a while now. it makes good sense for both parties - STR is more out of the limelight than Mclaren so its a bit less painful for all involved. RBR is desperate for anything to bring them up the grid, this gives them a chance to eval and keep Honda in the back pocket while they get their crap together. if Honda somehow develops into a world beater, RBR can potentially pull the switcheroo like they did previously with Ferrari / Renault. this also serves to put Renault under a little pressure to keep on top of things.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 09:51 (Ref:3752100)   #264
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Sorry, should've used the word rumours instead of news in my last post. Rumours may or may not be true, but the news is always true.

Meanwhile.... Zak and Co look like they got lost and ended up at Renault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
The earliest there can really be any conclusiveness is going to be at the test in Hungary where he will run the 2017 car.
Kubica driving at the Hungary test?? Has this been confirmed? Have not heard of this.

Yet to be confirmed, but it looks like Charles Leclerc will be driving for Ferrari at the upcoming test in what looks like a 11th hour decision by Ferrari. Let the rumours begin!
Old 17 Jul 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3752146)   #265
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Kubica driving at the Hungary test?? Has this been confirmed? Have not heard of this.
Based on this article on Pf1 Kubica will participate in the test after Hungary. However, I have also read a comment from Abiteboul just now that it's too early to say if Rober we be in budapest. I didn't know that Pf1 posted rumours as fact.... With that sorry about the confusion. I think it's likely.
http://www.planetf1.com/news/another...er-for-kubica/
Old 17 Jul 2017, 13:55 (Ref:3752152)   #266
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Buying in to the Kubica story, which I don't believe, would Kubica even be eligible for a Super Licence?
Old 17 Jul 2017, 15:47 (Ref:3752171)   #267
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Buying in to the Kubica story, which I don't believe, would Kubica even be eligible for a Super Licence?
I don't know a great deal about FIA driver licensing, but from a tiny bit of reading... I assume he has a grade A license given he was part of the ByKolles LMP1 program (he left the team before actually racing). Otherwise, I don't see him fitting any of the established "experience" requirements for a Super License. He doesn't meet the current driver provisions (must have raced in F1 within past three years) and he does not meeting the current "regular test driver" provisions (wasn't a test driver for anyone last year). To fit into the exception clause it looks like he would be required to fulfill the 300KM testing provision. I haven't been following him closely, so I don't know if his recent testing counts toward that or not.

Richard
Old 17 Jul 2017, 22:50 (Ref:3752279)   #268
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I don't know a great deal about FIA driver licensing, but from a tiny bit of reading... I assume he has a grade A license given he was part of the ByKolles LMP1 program (he left the team before actually racing). Otherwise, I don't see him fitting any of the established "experience" requirements for a Super License. He doesn't meet the current driver provisions (must have raced in F1 within past three years) and he does not meeting the current "regular test driver" provisions (wasn't a test driver for anyone last year). To fit into the exception clause it looks like he would be required to fulfill the 300KM testing provision. I haven't been following him closely, so I don't know if his recent testing counts toward that or not.

Richard
Thanks Richard.

From here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence

it would appear there is a loophole available

" Under exceptional circumstances Appendix L also allows the FIA to award a Super Licence to a driver who does not meet the normal criteria if a vote reveals unanimous agreement by the members, and provided that the driver has completed 300 kilometres of testing at racing speeds in a current car."

Nice to see that Seb Loeb would have stood a chance of qualifying under the new system.

Formula E series points toward the super license seem to be very generous!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 06:39 (Ref:3752314)   #269
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Kubica has driven a current car. Well... sort of. He has driven the 2017 RBR in their simulator, which is one of the most realistic F1 simulators currently available. It's the next best thing to driving an actual F1 car, minus the g-forces.

I have no doubt that if Kubica is 100% ready, and even if he'd only done half the required km's in a current car, that he would be given a superlicence under 'very' exceptional circumstances.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 09:47 (Ref:3752350)   #270
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When it comes to a superlicence there shouldn't be "very exception circumstances". You either meet the criteria or you don't.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3752358)   #271
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
When it comes to a superlicence there shouldn't be "very exception circumstances". You either meet the criteria or you don't.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 13:24 (Ref:3752404)   #272
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The fact that he was a race winner and never had it revoked, means he should be allowed one
Old 18 Jul 2017, 18:10 (Ref:3752502)   #273
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The fact that he was a race winner and never had it revoked, means he should be allowed one
The entire Kubica story could have a very attractive Cinderella ending if he returns to F1. I personally would love to see him back in F1. But objectively and taking the emotion out of it... I think the 300KM mileage pathway is absolutely the right thing for him. Especially given questions around arm strength, etc. And the fact that the cars have changed a bit this year and are more physical to drive. I would say that what is maybe broken in the system is the difficulty of getting that mileage. Be it Kubica or anyone else.

Who is listed as Renaults "test driver" today? I know those positions can tend to be "buy a ride" things these days, but if they were serious, I think making him an official test driver and then giving him some time in the car via FP1, he could get a super license for 2018 under either the mileage or test driver path. It would also give Renault a chance to really evaluate him.

Richard
Old 18 Jul 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3752512)   #274
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've still yet to read anywhere whether he can do the self extraction from a car in the required time?

Also with the strong possibility of either the screen or halo contraption around the cockpit next year, would that make a difference to his getting out in a hurry more than other drivers?
Old 19 Jul 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3752701)   #275
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Yet to be confirmed, but it looks like Charles Leclerc will be driving for Ferrari at the upcoming test in what looks like a 11th hour decision by Ferrari. Let the rumours begin!
Confirmed. Leclerc to drive 2017 Ferrari at the post Hungary test.

Will we see Robert Kubica testing with Renault? If so, Palmer would have to step aside if Kubica was to run as per the current rules.

Or could another team give Kubica a test day if Renault cannot?