Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Nov 2018, 01:04 (Ref:3861898)   #201
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The roof is fine, just bring the front and rear up to meet it.

I'd have thought there'd be more leeway in the design of the bumpers and sideskirts, so as to hide much of the awkwardness.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 03:15 (Ref:3861908)   #202
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Is it just me that thinks of one of those Future Racers when they see the Mustang?
Exactly what I was thinking

Old 9 Nov 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3861939)   #203
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f351c View Post
Were they being attracted anyway?

We're an orphan series in a far away corner of the world with a relatively obscure set of regulations and a high cost of entry to meet those requirements.

Those working within that framework to bring us a Mustang Supercar aren't to blame for that, the creators of the framework are.
Don't go bringing common sense into this, it never gets a run.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 09:54 (Ref:3861940)   #204
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ironic in that this series was born out of "what the punters want".

25 years later, they now tell the punters what they want.
Old 9 Nov 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3862049)   #205
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Ironic in that this series was born out of "what the punters want".
Did the punters really want it?

They managed to alienate not just BMW and Nissan, but Toyota, Mitsubishi and Alfa Romeo too.

2000cc rules on the other hand, would have allowed for wonderful variety as seen in the BTCC... Instead you just got two weak series -- only 10 professional cars in ATCC, and another 5 or 6 professional cars in Super Touring, then privateers making up the rest...

Nissan, BMW, Toyota, Ford and Holden all competing on equal footing! Wouldn't it have been grand. Such a shame.

While it was amusing how the early 5.0L cars handled and the degree of forcefulness in getting the softly sprung sliding, pitching, rolling uncooperative thing around a circuit -- the modern Supercars sadly handle nowhere near as bad, and is not nearly as amusing.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 9 Nov 2018 at 20:32.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 01:16 (Ref:3862080)   #206
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Nissan, BMW, Toyota, Ford and Holden all competing on equal footing! Wouldn't it have been grand. Such a shame.
I have to wonder if you watched a single Group A or Super Touring race in your life.

What rose coloured fantasy glasses you have.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 01:49 (Ref:3862084)   #207
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Meantime, isn’t looking any prettier at speed
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Nov 2018, 03:18 (Ref:3862094)   #208
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those endplates are unreal.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 03:50 (Ref:3862095)   #209
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I have to wonder if you watched a single Group A or Super Touring race in your life.
Politics are unfortunate! Holden, Ford and everyone definitely had the chance to build a competitive car in Group A (likewise Subaru, Mistubishi et al in the rally version), if they were willing to fund it; willing to pay for developing an electronically-actuated all drive system and so on (the sophisticated AWD systems in the GTR and Lancer Evolution were/are certainly engineering marvels!).

Similarly, anyone who spent enough money was able to develop nearly any saloon into a competitive Super Tourer from what I can gather. At various times, the car to beat was the Cavalier, Mondeo, 3 series, Toyota Carina, Alfa Romeo 155, Audi A4, Volvo S40, Nissan Primera and finally the Mondeo again (finally in Prodrive built hatchback form, rather than the early sedan Andy Rouse built form). A huge variety of successful cars!

The Vectra and Accord were thereabouts too. The only works car that was never all that competitive was the Peugeot 406, presumably due to insufficient development.

Naturally Audi were encouraged, politically, to change from AWD to FWD, and that simplified the equivalence of the different drive layouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
Indeed!

They are obviously allowed under the rules, and therefore Ford Performance have chosen to do so for these advantages:
- Preventing spillage into the low pressure zone under the rear wing.
- Aerodynamically stabilising the car when it's at a slip angle (much like the tailfins in F1 or LMP racing).

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 10 Nov 2018 at 03:58.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 04:33 (Ref:3862097)   #210
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
It looks a lot lower than expected at the front too.

Old 10 Nov 2018, 06:55 (Ref:3862103)   #211
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am told the end plates are bigger than they will end up being to evaluate different positions of the wing, with wider adjustment than will be homologated. Makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 10 Nov 2018, 08:03 (Ref:3862107)   #212
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Mustang my ****,thats just a Falcon with a pony on the grill.
Old 10 Nov 2018, 19:48 (Ref:3862232)   #213
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I am told the end plates are bigger than they will end up being to evaluate different positions of the wing, with wider adjustment than will be homologated. Makes a lot of sense.

More branding space potential on the side of the wing than on the rest of the car
Old 10 Nov 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3862239)   #214
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Inspo?
Old 10 Nov 2018, 21:40 (Ref:3862263)   #215
Mixer
Veteran

Here is an interesting question.

Scotty Mac is the team mate slayer. Guys who really can drive have looked average and worse next to him, in cars engineered to his preference.

Will anybody else be able to drive the Mustang?

Old 11 Nov 2018, 00:07 (Ref:3862291)   #216
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

More branding space potential on the side of the wing than on the rest of the car

Just think of the brands Tickford can steal off another team to fill those endplates!
Old 12 Nov 2018, 03:39 (Ref:3862667)   #217
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Inspo?

Old 12 Nov 2018, 08:41 (Ref:3862697)   #218
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I only hope it looks less dreadful with a proper livery. (Plus a less radical rear wing)

I thought the AU was ugly, but this beats the AU hands down in the ugly dept..
Old 12 Nov 2018, 16:00 (Ref:3862822)   #219
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Did the punters really want it?

They managed to alienate not just BMW and Nissan, but Toyota, Mitsubishi and Alfa Romeo too.

2000cc rules on the other hand, would have allowed for wonderful variety as seen in the BTCC... Instead you just got two weak series -- only 10 professional cars in ATCC, and another 5 or 6 professional cars in Super Touring, then privateers making up the rest...

While it was amusing how the early 5.0L cars handled and the degree of forcefulness in getting the softly sprung sliding, pitching, rolling uncooperative thing around a circuit -- the modern Supercars sadly handle nowhere near as bad, and is not nearly as amusing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathur...A_race_divided

I didn't know V8 at all back then. But the fact is that V8 became more popular than Supertouring.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 01:14 (Ref:3862931)   #220
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely they have over-done the low-ness of the headlights and grille. I realise there will be a performance advantage, but surely Supercars could step in and require it look a bit a) better and b) more like the production car?
Old 14 Nov 2018, 01:46 (Ref:3863205)   #221
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
When you get down to it, the problem here is the EXACT same problem that NASCAR has - the chassis and bodywork rules were designed with big sedans in mind, not sporty coupes. The NASCAR Cup Series Chevy SS, Ford Fusion, and Toyota Camry all looked nice, but once Chevy moved to the Camaro, and now Ford to the Mustang, the exact same things came to be an issue.

But I still say the Supercars chassis allowed them to retain more Mustang-esque curves and gave us a better result than what NASCAR gave us. And while it won't solve ALL of the aesthetic oddness, I feel fairly certain the cars proportions will look far less out of whack once the proper wing endplates are fitted.

(an NHRA Pro Stock style hood bulge might improve the look, as well)
Old 14 Nov 2018, 07:31 (Ref:3863228)   #222
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Clearly AA is not a fan
Old 14 Nov 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3863267)   #223
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Clearly AA is not a fan
They are only repeating what everyone is saying
Old 14 Nov 2018, 19:51 (Ref:3863343)   #224
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Supra roof doesn't look high enough
Old 14 Nov 2018, 21:22 (Ref:3863361)   #225
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
The Supra roof doesn't look high enough
That was my first thought. They can the Mustang, yet bang on about how Toyota could be tempted with a very low roofed Supra.

Camaro, GTR, Supra and any other sporty coupe would all suffer the same fate under the current control chassis.