Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 29 Dec 2008, 08:54 (Ref:2362166)   #1
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the idea of joker laps?

Hi im new to rallycross as a spectator and was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the principle of the joker lap is?
Old 29 Dec 2008, 10:23 (Ref:2362202)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think its to promote overtaking, or at least the modicum of it.

It gives drivers a kind of pitstop in F1 option of trying to pass if you dont get a good start.

Starts are the be all in rallycross and if say Hansen gets a bad one in a heat, if he is in the right place he will take joker early guaranteed, that way he can use rest of race to catch up to leaders and when they take joker he will swoop past.

I like them, they providea bit of tactics, and also at some tracks there are often collisions!!!! All good
Old 29 Dec 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2362258)   #3
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What the idea of joker laps is?

To ruin the original idea of RX – as most of the tracks are simply not able to be in keeping with the times of the nowadays machinery!
Old 29 Dec 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2362277)   #4
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands hatch
Hi im new to rallycross as a spectator and was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the principle of the joker lap is?
I'm not new to rallycross and I have no idea either!

Seriously, it's a daft concept.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 13:12 (Ref:2362281)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I happen to think it breathes life into a sport that is boringly decided usually by who gets the best start.

It invokes a bit of interest and althougth I agree that some tracks are unable to equip a joker lap, some of them use it very well.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2362348)   #6
Ramah
Racer

Ireland
Meath
Ramah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
I happen to think it breathes life into a sport that is boringly decided usually by who gets the best start.

It invokes a bit of interest and althougth I agree that some tracks are unable to equip a joker lap, some of them use it very well.
I agree Would love to see it tried in Mondello where I recon it would work well
Old 29 Dec 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2362392)   #7
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Looks like i am the only one who likes the joker lap here to.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 09:45 (Ref:2362618)   #8
Chessmsport
Racer

England
Eastbourne
Chessmsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramah
I agree Would love to see it tried in Mondello where I recon it would work well
Dont think Mondello needs one as there are plenty of overtaking places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivec
Looks like i am the only one who likes the joker lap here to.
When I first heard about them I was very sceptical, but have grown to like them, at a lot of European tracks that are tight and the racing can be a bit boring/processional thay add to the spectacle, but I am not sure all tracks need them Lydden for instance.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 10:04 (Ref:2362630)   #9
dangermouse606
Rookie

dangermouse606 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i personally think the joker lap spoils the race, but hey, each to there own, maybe we should stop after 2 laps get out the car , run round it three times and then set off again, that should invoke a bit interest or not as the case maybe.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2362637)   #10
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don t really need a joker lap in UK or Ireland, the tracks have plenty of overtaking options, Brands Hatch was always a great rallycross track for overtaking, There were over taking options on just about every part of that track, that B final 1984 GP always sticks in my mind where the lead changed about 10 times between Nittymaki, Mavropoulas, and Wahlund. I ve watched joker system for myself in Belguim, I m not a fan at all, no need for it, not even on these tight circuits, if a driver has a bad start its up to him or her to drive there pants off to try and make up time and places, thats why the likes of Schanche and Arnesson were so popular.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2362669)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I guess it only suits some tracks, but the awful tight tracks where there are just hairpins and short straights I think need something, brings something new and that is all I am interested in!
Old 30 Dec 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2362748)   #12
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a fan of them, think they add something different. But have to agree that the one at Belgium was a bit half-arsed and dangerous; there were several collisions on the exit of it. Great for the fans and TV, not so great if you happen to own the £200k car!

The one at Kerlabo was much better. A lot longer and looked like real effort had been put into designing it. Plus a barrier separating the exit of it. Let's hope that if Lydden have to use a joker (and it looks as though they do) it will add something and be designed well.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 14:51 (Ref:2362776)   #13
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
HrRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So many people in the UK have never seen it live and moan and moan and moan etc etc

Wait until you actually see it working in a competitve race then decide!!!!!!!!
Old 30 Dec 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2362814)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The thing is collisions are easy enough to avoid arent they!! You dont have to go ploughing into the car!!

I guess the important point is to ensure that the drievr leaving the JL has enough vision to be able to see his rivals on their normal lap, thereby leaving him the option to take upmthe challenge or not!!
Old 30 Dec 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2362829)   #15
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
I guess the important point is to ensure that the drievr leaving the JL has enough vision to be able to see his rivals on their normal lap, thereby leaving him the option to take upmthe challenge or not!!
Will become more difficult with the HANS device...!
Old 30 Dec 2008, 18:23 (Ref:2362879)   #16
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The jokerlap spoilt a lot of enjoyment I had for the sport. They don't always distract from the racing but they certainly don't add anything ever. I still be going to Lydden because it's such a nice spectator experience, for the rest I only plan to go to non-jokerlap tracks.

Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

If they wanted more overtaking they should have started by mandating that tracks should actually have gravel sections. Belgium, Holland and France for example are completely tarmac tracks. While on other circuits the gravel sections are better described as dusty tarmac, they are so super smooth. I liked it better when the cars bounced around, struggling for grip, trying to get the power down at the right time, sliding around on the tarmac because the setup was so soft, etc. The differences between the cars are too small nowadays.

We now return you to our normal ramblings.
Old 3 Jan 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2364735)   #17
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Went to the lydden hill meet today...brilliant racing, if a little short on entries! The joker lap seemed to work well, and i know understand it now i have seen it in action!!! Thanks for all ur replies.
Old 3 Jan 2009, 23:26 (Ref:2364767)   #18
The Eye
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
The Eye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where have they put the joker lap at Lydden Hill?
Old 4 Jan 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2364923)   #19
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
around the first half of chessons (the first corner) Coming back onto the dirt section.
Old 4 Jan 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2365077)   #20
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any photos of the joker lap at Lydden?
Old 4 Jan 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2365184)   #21
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby
Any photos of the joker lap at Lydden?
try snappy racers: i think there is one which shows the new loose section....but maybe not the whole joker lap
http://www.snappyracers.com/album/Ly...109/index.html