Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2019, 00:25 (Ref:3898314)   #826
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All very interesting about Stroll and the ownership of Racing Point but if Williams continue the rest of the season, at the back of the grid and I think they will, what then? Do they call it a day and if that happens, what then for Formula 1 and a diminished grid?
Old 18 Apr 2019, 01:13 (Ref:3898318)   #827
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
All very interesting about Stroll and the ownership of Racing Point but if Williams continue the rest of the season, at the back of the grid and I think they will, what then? Do they call it a day and if that happens, what then for Formula 1 and a diminished grid?
No reason to consider that Williams will not keep operating... just at the level they are at if nothing changes.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 Apr 2019, 05:43 (Ref:3898329)   #828
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Lol again.
Really difficult to have a sensible discussion if posts have to start with a mock....
Old 18 Apr 2019, 05:50 (Ref:3898330)   #829
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Really difficult to have a sensible discussion if posts have to start with a mock....
Ok, sorry for that. But it’s Stroll’s team. Speak to anyone who works there about who’s in charge. (Anybody else in the world wouldn’t have chosen Lance as a driver.)
Old 18 Apr 2019, 06:13 (Ref:3898333)   #830
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Ok, sorry for that. But it’s Stroll’s team. Speak to anyone who works there about who’s in charge. (Anybody else in the world wouldn’t have chosen Lance as a driver.)
No worries.

Agree about who has the influence over the team, it's ran in a manner that recognises Stroll as the boss.

Legal ownership is slightly different though.

It does raise the question though - at what point does a family team stop, and a business start?

Ferrari, Jordan, Sauber - are/were they a family team?

I feel that is some of the issue with Williams - they are too reluctant to separate running a successful team/business from maintaining Frank Williams' heritage.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 12:59 (Ref:3898392)   #831
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
No reason to consider that Williams will not keep operating... just at the level they are at if nothing changes.
If nothing changes, would Rokit want to continue sponsoring a team that's running at the back of the grid? I don't think so. It's bad marketing and it's bad for brand image.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3898398)   #832
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
perhaps, but Rokit got in when Williams were already at the bottom so i cant imagine it bothers them that much. i would think they like the value they get for money relative to how much it would cost them to sponsor a front running team.

Claire gets a hard time (perhaps deservedly so) but she seems to have her father's savvy in attracting sponsors so if Rokit leave i imagine she will find another to replace them.

in fact one could even say the areas where her expertise can be brought to bear (marketing, sponsorship, communications) are not the areas where the team struggles.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 14:05 (Ref:3898404)   #833
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
perhaps, but Rokit got in when Williams were already at the bottom so i cant imagine it bothers them that much. i would think they like the value they get for money relative to how much it would cost them to sponsor a front running team.

Claire gets a hard time (perhaps deservedly so) but she seems to have her father's savvy in attracting sponsors so if Rokit leave i imagine she will find another to replace them.

in fact one could even say the areas where her expertise can be brought to bear (marketing, sponsorship, communications) are not the areas where the team struggles.
I don't doubt that it is cheaper, than sponsoring a top team. However, Rokit signed up in February, before the problems surrounding Williams's testing at Barcelona in March, surfaced.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 14:28 (Ref:3898411)   #834
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no doubt there was still hope at the time that Williams would improve but Rokit still knowingly signed with a last place club.

to be honest though, as far as these newly branded mobile/streaming services go (just assuming thats what they do), im sure they will have a name change, get bought out, go bankrupt well before the Williams team goes the way of the dodo.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 15:21 (Ref:3898422)   #835
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
no doubt there was still hope at the time that Williams would improve but Rokit still knowingly signed with a last place club.

to be honest though, as far as these newly branded mobile/streaming services go (just assuming thats what they do), im sure they will have a name change, get bought out, go bankrupt well before the Williams team goes the way of the dodo.
Indeed but when they signed, they weren't expecting the fiasco of Williams's testing to unfold and the subsequent problems that have since arisen, within the team.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 23:35 (Ref:3898477)   #836
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well Williams needed some sponsor and it’s a shame the testing problems started and they then have since got worse
Old 19 Apr 2019, 06:49 (Ref:3898533)   #837
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Some rumour about Mazepin thinking of buying the team (on gp.com).
Not sure that's the right way forward in terms of ownership even if money worries go away...
Old 19 Apr 2019, 14:58 (Ref:3898593)   #838
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Of course not. Williams F1 are financially secure, for now, so they can keep racing for quite some time until such a time that is no longer the case and unserviceable debts have accrued...
Old 19 Apr 2019, 19:04 (Ref:3898632)   #839
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
To an extent I agree with the last comment.I can't entirely agree because since Williams issued shares as a public company,they have to abide by the standards required in the market.On the other hand having to be paragons of virtue compared to the old days might be their salvation-at least in business terms.
Old 19 Apr 2019, 22:45 (Ref:3898664)   #840
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Of course not. Williams F1 are financially secure, for now, so they can keep racing for quite some time until such a time that is no longer the case and unserviceable debts have accrued...
For now and as long as their sponsors are happy to keep footing the bill but that won't last, if they are permanently at the back of the grid.
Old 19 Apr 2019, 23:13 (Ref:3898666)   #841
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
For now and as long as their sponsors are happy to keep footing the bill but that won't last, if they are permanently at the back of the grid.
Brings to mind some satire from Sniff Petrol on the topic.

Gong glory for family firm favourite
Old 19 Apr 2019, 23:20 (Ref:3898668)   #842
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post
Brings to mind some satire from Sniff Petrol on the topic.

Gong glory for family firm favourite
Old 20 Apr 2019, 06:14 (Ref:3898704)   #843
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So now there is another Billionaire who wants his son in F1 on the horizon - this time he is Russian - what’s the definition of insanity ? Oh yes making the same mistake time and time again....
Old 21 Apr 2019, 04:44 (Ref:3898827)   #844
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Pays the bills though.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 12:34 (Ref:3899780)   #845
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I see that on the Autosport website (https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...s-not-for-sale) that Claire Williams is categorically denying that Williams GP is for sale.
Usually this type of denial in F1 only means one thing: Williams GP is up for sale!
Old 26 Apr 2019, 15:15 (Ref:3899811)   #846
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well they’ve always been reluctant to, how long will they hold out to?
Old 27 Apr 2019, 18:54 (Ref:3900059)   #847
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well after today they must be running out of cars
Old 27 Apr 2019, 19:38 (Ref:3900065)   #848
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
If you look deeply into the profit and loss accounts of Williams (and all its different associated Companies), it's a great Business that makes huge profits, so to suggest they struggle..is actually untrue. The Race Team may, but is propped by sponsors and other engineering Williams associated Companies many have not heard of. They are fine...as a huge Group.
Old 28 Apr 2019, 16:58 (Ref:3900266)   #849
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
If you look deeply into the profit and loss accounts of Williams (and all its different associated Companies), it's a great Business that makes huge profits, so to suggest they struggle..is actually untrue. The Race Team may, but is propped by sponsors and other engineering Williams associated Companies many have not heard of. They are fine...as a huge Group.

A team that consistently finishes in the back of grid will eventually lose its prize money, as well as sponsors. Somehow they need to pay their bills. And then they will go the way of the Team Lotus. At some point it was unbelievable that Team Lotus could disappear, but it happened.
Old 28 Apr 2019, 18:39 (Ref:3900294)   #850
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
CW has recently said that Williams AVE are no longer able to support the F1 team, so they will be totally reliant on FOM income and sponsorship, which makes the next two years pretty crucial surely?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk