Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Dec 2000, 12:34 (Ref:51936)   #1
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Guys,
For some reason, I as your intrepid race report scribe has been invited to the official Peugeot driver announcement on Thursday evening...
The invite itself is intriguing:

"...As PR agency for the BTCC in 2001 we are hosting a press conference for both Peugeot and BTCC this Thursday. The main purpose of this conference will be to announce Peugeot's threedriver line-up for 2001 and to allow Richard West (Series Director of the BTCC) to explain the new rules and regs for next season thus showing its potential for success.

We believe that Peugeot's driver announcement will cause significant waves in the motorsport arena..."

I'm convinced Mr Moen is a definite. And I'd have thought Eaves and Roukonen would be pretty upset not to get a sniff. As I've said before, thought it would be those 3 plus a star.
Anyone got any thoughts?
Rick"FullyPressPassedUpAndChuffedAboutIt"P:Clio33
Old 11 Dec 2000, 16:08 (Ref:51958)   #2
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know about this. If you say Moen's a definate, then I completely believe you.

I can understand why Pug might want a big name driving for them, as with all due respect to the three names you mentioned, they're not well known in the same way as someone like CLELAND!!!!! (is that how you say it???) or Aiello is. I do think though that if the other two, Eaves and Rokka...Rokann... er, Toni don't get a go it will be an absolute outrage, unless one of them got a better offer??
Old 11 Dec 2000, 17:57 (Ref:51964)   #3
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Eaves and Rokka...Rokann... er
That's easy for you to say!!

I tend to agree that, in Toni, Dan and Roger, Peugeot would have a good team, but those are hardly names to get the fans' hearts racing, are they?

Vauxhall, on the other hand, have stars such as PLATO!! and MULLER!! on board that the fans know and love. Not that signing Aiello would give the French marque anything like them...
Old 12 Dec 2000, 16:15 (Ref:52090)   #4
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

Bring Back The Cavaliers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Mark Blundell anyone? Just a rumour I heard, out of a drive, could cause a stir joining the BTCC.
Old 14 Dec 2000, 11:54 (Ref:52373)   #5
MichaelC
Veteran

I just read on the ITV-F1 site that Nigel Mansell and Damon Hill were on the list of rumoureds too. Surely it would be better to get someone who'll actually be some good??

They'll probably announce that they've been secretly testing, and have now signed, Carl Foggarty. Or Paula Cook.
Old 14 Dec 2000, 12:40 (Ref:52379)   #6
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt Neal according today's Autosport!
Old 14 Dec 2000, 12:59 (Ref:52383)   #7
MichaelC
Veteran

Oh God, nooooo! Surely they can't be that desperate can they?? That wouldn't cause significant waves through the arena would it? And surely he's happy at Team Dynamics, very much 'his' team, with his Dad as team manager.

No, it's going to be someone we just would never have imagined it could have been, like, er, Gwyndaf Evans. He did OK in the Elise race at Silverstone last year.
Old 14 Dec 2000, 13:45 (Ref:52389)   #8
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

I thought Jason Watt would be the announcement that would cause a stir.
Old 14 Dec 2000, 13:46 (Ref:52391)   #9
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

Funny how Autosport.com says nothing about this. You know they get it wrong!
Old 14 Dec 2000, 18:09 (Ref:52423)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Hill to race again?

The Daily Telegraph reported today (Thursday) that Damon Hill or Nigel Mansell may be linked with Peugeot Sport's British Touring Car Championship efforts.

The French team has promised a surprise name for their line-up, and as both former Formula1 World Champions, Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell, have worked with the team's head, Richard West, it is thought a possibility that one or both pilots may have been recruited by the French outfit.
Oh, god...!

What's the news Rick ? I wish i'd been able to make it too, but had to turn down the invitation as i've been tying up some loose ends at work (leave next Wednesday... )
Old 14 Dec 2000, 18:47 (Ref:52438)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
It's worse than I feared...! According to BBC Ceefax, it has just been announced that Matt Neal has signed for Pug! And I was looking forward to supporting the team next year... Looks like my support will be staying with Vauxhall then...
Old 14 Dec 2000, 19:18 (Ref:52450)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
The new just got much, much better... Soperman is back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Tin-top legend Soper heads Peugeot attack

BMW stalwart lured back to lead Neal and Eaves in three-car squad

Peugeot has enlisted tin-top legend Steve Soper to head its three-pronged attack on the new-look British Touring Car Championship.

Soper, a driver synonymous with BMW since 1989, comes out of semi-retirement to partner former BTCC independent king Matt Neal and
National Saloon Car Cup front-runner Dan Eaves in a trio of Touring class 406 Coupes.

The 48-year-old has not raced a touring car for three years, having switched to BMW’s sportscar programme in 1998. He raced only
once in 2000, finishing fourth in the Sebring 12 hours, but believes he has a realistic shot at taking his first BTCC crown.

“I’m expecting to be successful,” he said, “and I’ll be very irritated if I’m not.

“I was undecided whether to continue with BMW, or continue to race overseas, or even stop completely,” he added. “[Peugeot sport
boss] Mick Linford and [team boss] Vic Lee are good talkers, but once I saw the drawings of the car, I realised it’d be a lot of fun to do
the BTCC again.”

He drove for Lee in 1991 and ’92 as team mate to eventual champions Will Hoy and Tim Harvey. His best BTCC result was second overall
in 1993 driving for the Schnitzer team. Soper, who owns a BMW dealership in Lincoln, was briefly BTCC champion in 1983 until his Rover
Vitesse was declared illegal.

Despite having no recent experience of racing front-wheel drive cars, Soper believes that his ability to quickly sort a car will be a key
factor in the new-look BTCC, which severely restricts testing.

“Steve’s really up for it,” said Linford. “I’m really pleased and he’s an extremely good development driver.”

Neal’s inclusion in the team is a full works driver. Several members of his successful independent outfit Team Dynamics are set to be
absorbed by Lee’s Bowman Motorsport works squad, although Dynamics may still run an independent entry in the series.
woohoo!!
Old 14 Dec 2000, 19:33 (Ref:52453)   #13
ganda123
Racer

ganda123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic, but don't tell Carrie....
Old 14 Dec 2000, 19:44 (Ref:52457)   #14
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

If only Mr Cleland would come back! I must stop this reminiscing

So we have no Menu, but we have Soper! Someone to boo!
Old 14 Dec 2000, 19:48 (Ref:52459)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Stick to booing Matt Neal, you madman!
Old 14 Dec 2000, 20:17 (Ref:52463)   #16
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup...at least he's entertaining...I'm chuffed now
Old 14 Dec 2000, 20:29 (Ref:52468)   #17
MichaelC
Veteran

Well like I said this afternoon, it'll be someone we least expected.

Although I admin Gwyndaf Evans was a bit wide of the mark.
Old 14 Dec 2000, 20:33 (Ref:52470)   #18
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Accoring to Autosport, Matt Neal, Dan Eaves and Steve Soper will field the three Peugeot 406s for the team.
Old 14 Dec 2000, 20:59 (Ref:52477)   #19
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, Ok, so by the time I had hurtled back from Pugs hospitality the word was out.
It is indeed my old team mate Dan Eaves, Matt Neal and the big gasp of the night, Steve Soper...
Had a good chat with Dan and Richard West who is the new figurehead/leader/demiGod of TOCA and will post in more detail tomorrow as there is beer that needs to be drunk right now...
What I would say is that

1. The Pug is going to look more like the Merc CLK Le Mans car than a touring car, the roofline is apparently significantly lower than last years car and it is so wide, Pug have had to sell their transporter to get a new one.

2. TOCA is in safe hands. 30 mins with Mr West and I tell you, you have got to buy those season passes right now! More details in the morning but the Man has a Plan, and I for one am very happy to go to the party.

3. The Donington round has been moved to clash with Rockingham so at least I can bow out of the old ticket price debate that is raging on the forum!

Cheers all
Rickster
Old 14 Dec 2000, 23:09 (Ref:52525)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Full report please, Rick... or maybe you'd like to write an upcoming column on the fall and rise of the series ?