Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Aug 2012, 02:59 (Ref:3119599)   #1
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CLK63 AMG Black Series in the Pirelli World Challenge

According to Jalopnik http://jalopnik.com/5934286/tuning-s...imate-race-car will be the only Mercedes-Benz road racing in the USA.

There's only one race left though this year for WC, I guess they'll be testing it?

A welcome addition to the field
Old 14 Aug 2012, 03:11 (Ref:3119606)   #2
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
That car is debuting at the Sonoma World Challenge race in 2 weeks, with Craig Stanton driving.

I'll also be there racing against it in a Porsche -- my first time running in the series, but it's my home track for testing so it should be fun. :-)

ps: my daily driver is a c63 black series, i'm secretly hoping they do well... as long as they finish behind me!

-mike
Old 14 Aug 2012, 03:18 (Ref:3119611)   #3
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
ps: my daily driver is a c63 black series, i'm secretly hoping they do well... as long as they finish behind me!
Good Luck Mike!

I've worked WC twice now as a flag marshal and its a really entertaining series to watch... much like Continental Tire Challenge in Grand Am... err... bumper cars!

be safe and kick some ass!
Old 14 Aug 2012, 03:42 (Ref:3119619)   #4
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That car is debuting at the Sonoma World Challenge race in 2 weeks, with Craig Stanton driving.

I'll also be there racing against it in a Porsche -- my first time running in the series, but it's my home track for testing so it should be fun. :-)

-mike
Best of luck Mike!

Stanton has been tweeting about the build all year. When I heard last fall or winter that a Mercedes was destined for WCGT I was hoping it would be the terrific SLS GT3, but a home-build of an equally lovely (or lovelier) sounding car is no let down!

Chris
Old 14 Aug 2012, 06:50 (Ref:3119651)   #5
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Look forward to seeing this thing in action. Speaking of Mercedes', whatever happened to the SLR that raced a while back? And that Mustang was the business as well.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 23:57 (Ref:3120016)   #6
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Was really wishing the WC guys were running Petit week this year and hated their schedule skipped it. Now really hating that they aren't on the calendar, guy around the corner from me drives one now after I guess getting bored with his SLS.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3120032)   #7
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
saw Mercedes SLS in action in Malaysia among Ferrari and Lambourghini, Lotus even Radicals... seemed like a solid middle of the pack car. Though from what I've been watching on Facebook, the Petronas SLS in another series has been pretty dominant with a kiwi driver behind the wheel.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3120277)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
How about WC GT cars becoming the new ALMS GTC class at non-WC rounds?
Old 15 Aug 2012, 16:49 (Ref:3120311)   #9
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The WC cars are likely not fully endurance capable - and I guess SCCA might have some objections.

With WC only having sprint races the cars are designed for sprint distances - and many of them are very very high strung. I know of some cars in Conti Challenge that have ridiclously high engine replacement rates and they do 2:30h races.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 17:09 (Ref:3120316)   #10
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Ya, the WC cars are also faster than the GTC class Porsche Cup's (based on lap times I've seen, and power numbers), which would make the GTE guys even more angry. :-)

The standing start is going to be interesting. It'll be my first time doing that... but hopefully good practice for the Supercup race at Spa in a few weeks.

-mike
Old 16 Aug 2012, 00:41 (Ref:3120478)   #11
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Ya, the WC cars are also faster than the GTC class Porsche Cup's (based on lap times I've seen, and power numbers), which would make the GTE guys even more angry. :-)

The standing start is going to be interesting. It'll be my first time doing that... but hopefully good practice for the Supercup race at Spa in a few weeks.

-mike
Good luck Mike, the standing start is one of the more exciting parts of the WC races!
Old 16 Aug 2012, 01:02 (Ref:3120483)   #12
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And it's one of the few times WC was used in ads, had seen a couple different ones using WC video. Usually where Audi would qualify 3-6 behind the Caddys, then at the start suddenly shoot to the middle of the track and rocket past from the standing start, was a GREAT shot from the end of the front straights with the cars coming at you.
Old 20 Aug 2012, 07:25 (Ref:3121958)   #13
tbz
Racer

tbz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maserati Trofeo GranSport to Debut at Sonoma
Old 27 Aug 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3125851)   #14
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Talked with Craig for a minute over the weekend, and it sounds like building the Black Series into a race car has been a massive undertaking! The lap times weren't very impressive, but it sounded like the car ran pretty reliably (they were just hoping to finish). I'm not sure how it ran in the race, but they didn't seem to have any problems w/ the car in the practice or qualifying sessions.

I wish I'd have been able to get out for a test-day in the car I drove as it took me a little longer than I thought to get up to speed in it. With such little practice time over the weekend I was never able to find a setup which felt good, but we made the best of it! Finished P8 in the GMG Porsche after qualifying P12.

The standing start was pretty cool. I didn't even have any time to practice it before the race (since we were focusing on setup), so they explained the launch control system to me while I was getting ready to jump into the car before the race. Surprised myself by actually doing it correctly, but with the walls on both sides of the Sonoma start/finish straight, I got boxed in my cars ahead of me and couldn't pass anyone anyway.

Here's my qualifying lap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYQccSG8dH0

Here's an early lap battling with Skeen in the GTR:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug3yWZqzJA0

-mike
Old 27 Aug 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3125926)   #15
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
Nice job Mike