Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 2 Apr 2018, 21:24 (Ref:3812565)   #76
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well - the weather was nowhere near as bad as forecast.

The racing was pretty good throughout the day I thought - the merging of classes has worked and the bigger grids gave us better racing. Higgins very impressive in the 208 and I thought Godfrey looked good in the Mitsubishi. Good to see Mike Manning back in rallycross as well.

That V6 Clio is a beast isn't it? Sounds great too. Vince Bristow must be having so much fun - he doesn't turn the car in to the corner - he throws it in sideways every time. The Minis benefited from good grids and again provided some close racing - I still don't see the need for Minis and Swifts though. Buggies were short on numbers - probably the weakest class. The retros grid has a great mix of cars, always good to see a 6R4 but the real action was behind that - some more cars joining the grid which is a good sign.

All in all a good day
Old 3 Apr 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3812621)   #77
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, conditions were nowhere near as bad as the forecast said it would be. The rain only really became noticeable during the closing stages of the day.

Great drive from Mark in the conditions. I would say that Liam Doran was fast enough to beat Higgins, but his passing move in the final was rather ambitious. Another measured performance from Godfrey in the Mirage, second in the final and enough to retain the lead of the Championship. Excellent drive from Manning as well, I thought he was out for the day after his smoky exit in the first heat, but he made it all the way to the final. I believe that car was relatively standard as well?

Most surprising drive in the Supercars for me was Jake Harris. He seemed completely out of touch last year but he was pacing a lot of the front runners yesterday. Massive improvement from him, really hope he gets some good results this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Vince Bristow must be having so much fun - he doesn't turn the car in to the corner - he throws it in sideways every time.
I have said it before, but I think Vince is the unsung hero of the British Championship: he never looks like he isn't having fun on track!

I thought the Minis would be dull given the split with the Super 1600's, but with much bigger grids they are far more entertaining then they have been in the last couple of years. Ditto for the Retros, which were more interesting with more cars out on track. As you say, the best racing was found further down the field.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 12:54 (Ref:3812635)   #78
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say some of the best racing was from the Juniors. They also did really well to go from a dry third heat into a wet final and adapted much better than some top runners (e.g. Tristan Ovenden). Hats off to them.

Having been to Silverstone, returning to Lydden to a much better circuit for viewing was very welcome! I don't care that it's not perfect, modern or particularly endowed with facilities. It gets the basics spot on, good viewing, close to the track, overtaking opportunities, sense of speed/danger, fun.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 10:08 (Ref:3814617)   #79
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Few pictures from Lydden...

...and a few more here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57667645182798

For those who are interested!
Old 15 Apr 2018, 11:07 (Ref:3815698)   #80
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cheers for those Steve, just getting round to catch up on what happened now.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 13:31 (Ref:3816177)   #81
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Cheers for those Steve, just getting round to catch up on what happened now.
No worries! Hopefully we won't have too long to wait for the TV coverage given that you weren't there taking any video.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 21:31 (Ref:3817950)   #82
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well for anyone who interested, there were a few other people there who were filming, here's link :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZpK5fRZMXE
Old 30 Apr 2018, 07:48 (Ref:3818289)   #83
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Well for anyone who interested, there were a few other people there who were filming, here's link :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZpK5fRZMXE
I saw the TV coverage on Motorsport.tv last week, but I will give that watch this evening!
Old 29 May 2018, 14:37 (Ref:3825462)   #84
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i haven't been to see a Rallycross event in ages, thinking of going to Lydden in August, does anyone else hate the joker lap? it just splits up the racing, i'd rather see the cars close together for the race duration
Old 29 May 2018, 14:58 (Ref:3825468)   #85
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
i haven't been to see a Rallycross event in ages, thinking of going to Lydden in August, does anyone else hate the joker lap? it just splits up the racing, i'd rather see the cars close together for the race duration
I was firmly against the joker lap before it was implemented - having seen it in action for a few years now I'm still very much against it. Having said that there's no sign of it being ditched so I've learned to live with it - watching rallycross with a joker lap is still better than doing the gardening!
Old 29 May 2018, 16:50 (Ref:3825480)   #86
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the joker lap is ok, just adds a bit of spice to it, although it is not really necessary. But watching rallycross is always good if you can find it
Old 29 May 2018, 19:55 (Ref:3825536)   #87
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Some tracks +like Silverstone) need a joker lap as there are limited or no overtaking spots. Lydden isn't one of those, it doesn't need a joker lap, the joker on the first corner splits the group from the outset.
It does reduce the chance of first corner crashes ruining a driver's weekend. I don't hate them in the heats but the finals should be a straight race.
Old 30 May 2018, 11:11 (Ref:3825627)   #88
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don't think any track needs a joker lap. Lydden could do with an alternative route for one lap to spice it up slightly. I think it does lessen the excitement at times. But it's not too bad a rule and it's there to add a bit
Old 30 May 2018, 12:00 (Ref:3825634)   #89
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I don't think any track needs a joker lap. Lydden could do with an alternative route for one lap to spice it up slightly.
Isn't that a joker lap then?

I agree that the placement of the joker at Lydden is the problem as it immediately splits the pack.
Old 30 May 2018, 13:52 (Ref:3825651)   #90
S griffin
Veteran

Well it’s a joker lap that everyone uses on the same lap. I think the joker lap sometimes makes a difference and other times doesn’t
Old 30 May 2018, 15:16 (Ref:3825662)   #91
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The best jokers are the ones that are short and a tiny bit tighter than the main corner, like Hell, or the original one at Maasmechelen, it encouraged a better tactic and importantly I think, you could see the other driver if you took it.

A lot of the ones on even the smaller folkrace tracks in Scandinavia are short and only a small diversion from the main route. I think this suits rallycross better, it should be simply a half car length quicker or slower, nothing more.

Lyddens joker is useless as it is so long and you cant see much when you exit, not to mention the utterly pointless jump
Old 30 May 2018, 16:16 (Ref:3825677)   #92
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
glad its not just me who's not keen on the joker lap, when there's only 3 or 4 cars it just detracts from the action to have them immediately separated from each other, sometimes i feel like im watching sprinting instead of racing as the cars aren't together on track, but as others have said, its still a better way to pass time than most other things!
Old 30 May 2018, 17:14 (Ref:3825688)   #93
S griffin
Veteran

I think the joker lap is ok, but it would be nice if the cars were closer, then we wouldn’t need it as much. It certainly has been an interesting concept
Old 31 May 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3825872)   #94
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
glad its not just me who's not keen on the joker lap, when there's only 3 or 4 cars it just detracts from the action to have them immediately separated from each other, sometimes i feel like im watching sprinting instead of racing as the cars aren't together on track, but as others have said, its still a better way to pass time than most other things!
In a way, the heats of a rallycross meeting are a sprint stage. Posting the best times to earn overall points. Which is why I don't mind the joker lap for the heats.

The finals should be an out and out race though.

And the size and positioning of the joker lap and the merge is important. It barely makes a difference at Loheac (and can actually be quicker in the wet especially if you back the other cars up before you take it). Nyriad was my favourite joker lap. And dirt quality too.
Old 31 May 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3825875)   #95
S griffin
Veteran

I think Rallycross should stay as it is. The joker does add a bit to it. I think losing it for the final would be fine. Some tracks are good enough without it, but some are great additions. I think it depends where you go
Old 1 Jun 2018, 13:10 (Ref:3826021)   #96
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Pembrey have done some more work on their rallycross circuit:

http://www.pembreycircuit.co.uk/news...ycross-circuit

Good to see the investment being made.
Old 1 Jun 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3826095)   #97
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I think that the joker lap should be banned on the first and last lap.
Old 2 Jun 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3826180)   #98
S griffin
Veteran

Would be good to see rallycross back at Pembrey
Old 3 Jun 2018, 11:08 (Ref:3826436)   #99
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its never really left Pembrey really.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3827326)   #100
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Entrylist for Pembrey:

http://www.rallycrossbrx.com/news/en...-double-header

Looks a bit light on Supercars and Supermodifieds - but the MINIs are looking pretty healthy which is good to see. Very small entry for the buggies again - what's happened to those?