Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Apr 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2435916)   #1
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
GT1 FIA = GT1 ACO according to Stephane Ratel

From Daily Sports Car.

I'm not sure what to think about this??????

So, we return to a silhouette type formula, where race cars don't share many of the mechanical parts as their road going kin.

So, we could put a 5.5 V10 in a Porsche Cayman, and call it a GT1 car? :roll:
Old 7 Apr 2009, 15:04 (Ref:2435954)   #2
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don’t know you read into this, it’s widely known that the ACO will take over 2010 FIA GT1 regs and nothing really new. Pretty much same as announced already in Spa 2008.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2435957)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Thats great news ..... I wasnt aware of that !!! Finally some people are starting to think right .
Old 7 Apr 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2435963)   #4
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
A split between FIA and ACO would have helped no one with the possible exception of Jesus Pareja, so it's a good idea.
And I like the possibility to change the engines as it gives more manufacturers a possibility to compete in the series, even if their roadcars don't have an engine suited for racing.

Oh and if I understood a recent end-info article right, Lambo or probably Reiter are already interested in entering the new GT1 in 2010 and are suppossed to show their car during the 09 season. Perhaps a beefier version of their GT2?
Old 7 Apr 2009, 15:27 (Ref:2435969)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Actually, this is a terrible idea IMHO, for the ACO.

The manufacturers have made their opinion and direction known. Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Lambo, Panoz, Ford GT, Viper, Aston Martin and Spyker, Lambourghini... and potentially (Jaguar) will have GT2 cars. Many of these are factory supported and designed cars. These GT2 cars feature cars that are very similar to their road going counterparts, and the manufacturers have chosen this direction for their marketing.

Now Ratel insinuates that a silhouette formula will be introduced for the ACO, that will devalue these GT2 factory efforts, by making them the "sub-class". No, I'm sorry these cars need to be the feature.

The only manufacturer that has stepped forward is Nissan.... with a 5.5V8 "GTR"..... Sorry while I laugh my you know what off.... If you want to build a prototype, go ahead and build a freakin prototype. We have a class for that, it's called LMP1. If you want to build a GT car, build one that is an actual representation of the cars you build.

The ACO would be far better off supporting the current GT2 category. It isn't the ACO that is diverting from the existing cars, to some change... it is Ratel. Yes, it would be better to have uniform rules and actually listen to what the manufacturers want to build, not to ram down our throats his particular vision. We have a very large supply of GT2 cars, and a diverse entry field of manufacturers. The manufacturers listened to Ratel, told him no.. .and he went ahead anyway. Ratel wants to have people buy all new equipment for this vision of his, during economically difficult times. I hope it flops, and I hope that the ACO (for once) does the right thing, and makes GT2 their premier GT category, ignoring this mess.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2435999)   #6
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Oh and if I understood a recent end-info article right, Lambo or probably Reiter are already interested in entering the new GT1 in 2010 and are suppossed to show their car during the 09 season. Perhaps a beefier version of their GT2?
According to Hans Reiter they will build a GT1 based on the Murcielago LP640.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2436009)   #7
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
According to Hans Reiter they will build a GT1 based on the Murcielago LP640.
Hopefully they can carry the iconic sound over to the new GT1.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2436022)   #8
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Ratel has one thing going for his GT1-championship and that is the comparatively good coverage FIA GT enjoys across Europe. Combined with the fact that the new GT1s are suppossed to be a good deal cheaper to race(!) than the current ones, a number of current GT1-teams might decide to give the new class a try.

And Ratel has one problem why he can't go GT2: International GT-Open.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2436029)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If your a 'GT' fan your focus will be on Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, GM etc. in GT2, afterall they're closely related to the road car, and secondly, they're factory backed efforts.

Ratel is looking to push forward his GT1 plans as arguably Jesus Pareja's GT series is looking stronger than FIA GT.

You have to give Ratel credit for GT3, but this is a step too far IMO.

I'm sure there will be some cool GT1's, but my interest is prototypes and real GT's, not some mish mash of the two.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2436030)   #10
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
having read more into the rules, i'm also really disappointed by this - I was hoping this World Championship with the terrible GT1 rules would be the death and mean one GT class for all the main manufacturers.

Why they are splitting one group of cars which are sold to similar market into two classes is beyond me, especially if entering a Nissan with a racing engine means no-one is allowed to homologate a true GTR for GT2.

Adding to the fact that there'll only be 1 hour races - The man is jeoparising the future of GT endurance racing for the sake of having the word 'World' on the front of his championship.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 17:12 (Ref:2436035)   #11
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://translate.google.com/translat...74&sl=fr&tl=en

The format of the GT world champsionship looks awful - 2x 1hour races???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies
Having read more into the rules, i'm also really disappointed by this - I was hoping this World Championship with the terrible GT1 rules would be the death and mean one GT class for all the main manufacturers.
Lets hope so. A single GT class running GT2 rules makes the most sense.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 7 Apr 2009, 17:22 (Ref:2436040)   #12
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well at this point, all I can say is, I will believe it when I see it!
I think that the ACO sanctioning of Ratel's new form of GT-1 is going to peeve off a lot of current ACO series teams, and not just in GT. I can see the ACO going along with the construction rules/regs/specs of FIA GT-2 and maybe the GT-3 and moving in that direction instead. As Fogelhund stated the current top GT producing mfg's do not want this proposed GT-1 class. It could get awfully hard to find spares for any car that went the GT-1 route against the wish of the mfg's. I guess we will see.

L.P.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2436042)   #13
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm biased, my interest in GT's is related solely to their relevance and impact within ACO regs racing. With that in mind, I would agree wholeheartedly with Fogelhund's stance.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 17:28 (Ref:2436046)   #14
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't like the engine switching either, but calling it a silhouette formula because you can put another one of your engines in is simply ridiculous. So the WTCC Chevy Cruze is a silhouette car too?

10 years ago we had prototypes being called GT1. How is this worse?
Old 7 Apr 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2436053)   #15
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
. So the WTCC Chevy Cruze is a silhouette car too?

I profess to know nothing, nor care anything about this Chevy Cruze. If the engine isn't the same basic block as it's road kin, yes I'd call it a silhouette.

In some ways that GT1 was problematic in enforcement and got out of control. The situation was addressed when they simply called these cars LMP GT. They weren't trying to present "road cars" though, which this is attempting to do. We should be learning from our mistakes of past.......
Old 7 Apr 2009, 17:46 (Ref:2436054)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I don't like the engine switching either, but calling it a silhouette formula because you can put another one of your engines in is simply ridiculous. So the WTCC Chevy Cruze is a silhouette car too?

That wasn't by choice and they eventually became LMGTP/LMP1.

This class is needed for FIA GT to distinguish itself from International GT, and give the series a headline class to compete with LMP1/2, it isn't wanted by manufacturer's or most fans.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 17:55 (Ref:2436064)   #17
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm yet to decide if it's a good or bad thing .. but I guess if it will be a success it would be good .. if not ..

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Apr 2009, 18:57 (Ref:2436104)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Me neither.

On one hand the current GT1 was an exotica car fans dream with the hardware available although ultimately restricting the entry levels to privateers (or privateer plus in some cases!) prevented manufacturers getting heavily involved. Thus kept costs down to a degree but surely it also deterred the car makes from continually developing the cars or new models which most other big series need to succeed.

The new regs will stop them getting involved for diferent reasons, namely them already being involved in either GT2 or LMP1/2 as already suggested by some posters.

However I always liked the idea of current GT1 with makes building the cars (or letting people build them under licence) and then selling them to professional private entrants, which GT2 and GT3 seems to have done more successfully albeit using slower and less specatacular cars imo.

My only real problem with it at this stage is the prospect of 1 hour races.......what on earth?

I don't really want to see another silhouette based series but if there's a big enough entry list, plenty of different cars and sounds and the racing is good maybe it will be good? But in that case Ratel might as well have got in touch with the DTM organisers and made a new series with them!!
Old 7 Apr 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2436118)   #19
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crap...

Someone please put out some rat bait.

Old 7 Apr 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2436131)   #20
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Going to have to chip in with Fogelhund on this one - what a bloody stupid idea, and I only hope I can continue to say I'll believe it when I see it on the grounds that I expect never to see it.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 19:50 (Ref:2436160)   #21
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forgive the stupid question. So am I correct in reading that although it will be a separate series with the ACO's blessing we may see these cars as a class at Le Mans? If so some of these cars would be bumping those that support the LMS & ALMS and the rumoured new single GT class. If I was a current GT2 manufacturer I would not be happy.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2436165)   #22
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would just be a replacement for current GT1. If such a class was created at Le Mans, it would exist in all of ACO racing, so there would be new GT1 cars that support LMS & ALMS.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2436169)   #23
Speed-King
Veteran

That's the way I understand it, and getting the ACO's cooperation may be crucial for this to stand a chance. With the ACO's blessing Ratel has a lot more leverage in convincing the manufacturers to join his series.
In his recent interview with IE he said, that GT2s as well as GT3s can (theoretically) be converted to the new GT1 rules.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2436170)   #24
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It would just be a replacement for current GT1. If such a class was created at Le Mans, it would exist in all of ACO racing, so there would be new GT1 cars that support LMS & ALMS.
I think the ALMS is done with GT1.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2436173)   #25
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
I think the ALMS is done with GT1.
I think the ALMS is done with current GT1.