Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 25 Apr 2012, 10:19 (Ref:3065290)   #26
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You could try Indy Lights Series or Wikipedia ...
And you are right, the IndyCar website is absolutely poo...
Old 25 Apr 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3065346)   #27
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Dancer View Post
Where did you get this info? I can't find anything about Indy Lights on the 'new, improved' (ha ha) IndyCar website except a token Road to Indy news page, and the old Indy Lights website is offline!
I am using the sites listed above plus doing the standings table myself. Info on IndyLights ir awful!
Old 8 May 2012, 06:32 (Ref:3070979)   #28
Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awful? Try non-existent. Apart from some news items on the 'Road to Indy' page, there's NOTHING. No schedule, driver/team info or results. Why do the Indy Lights teams tolerate this farcical situation?
Old 25 May 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3079216)   #29
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Indy Lights - Indianapolis qualifying:

1. Gustavo Yacamán
2. Victor Carbone
3. Carlos Muñoz
4. Jorge Goncalvez
5. David Ostella
6. Brandon Wagner
7. Alon Day
8. Emerson Newton-John
9. Tristan Vautier
10. Sebastián Saavedra
11. Esteban Guerrieri
12. Armaan Ebrahim
13. Peter Dempsey
14. Oliver Webb
15. Anders Krohn
16. Joao Horto
17. Mike Larrison
18. Chase Austin
19. Juan Pablo Garcia

Guerreri had an issue with the engine.
Old 26 May 2012, 05:27 (Ref:3079361)   #30
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yacaman needs to get his license pulled. He will kill someone some day driving the way he did today, which is the way he's driven forever.
Old 28 May 2012, 03:57 (Ref:3080279)   #31
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After Indy rounds...

Indy Lights, Esteban Guerrieri wins - Standings
Star Mazda, Connor de Philippi wins - Standings
USF2000, Spencer Pigot wins - Standings
Old 29 May 2012, 12:50 (Ref:3081161)   #32
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
IndyLights - Season 2012 - Driver Standings
Pos
Driver
Nat
Team
R02
R03
R04
R05
R06
R07
R08
R09
R10
R11
R12
1Guerrieri, Esteban
Sam Schmidt Motorsports
2Vautier, Tristan
Sam Schmidt Motorsports
3Saavedra, Sebastian
AFS Racing /Andretti Autosport
4Carbone, Victor
Sam Schmidt Motorsports
5Yacaman, Gustavo
Team Moore Racing
6Munoz, Carlos
Andretti Autosport
7Juan Pablo, Garcia
Jeffrey Mark Motorsports
8Webb, Oliver
Sam Schmidt Motorsports
9Day, Alon
Belardi Auto Racing
10Goncalvez, Jorge
Belardi Auto Racing
11Ebrahim, Armaan
Fan Force United
12Ostella, David
Team Moore Racing
13Horto, J.V.
Juncos Racing
1726 26        
14Wills, Darryl
Hillenburg Motorsports
15Castaneda, Troy
Bryan Herta Autosport
16Larrison, Mike
Belardi Auto Racing
17Austin, Chase
Juncos Racing
18Andries, Nick
Tbolt BHA
19Jones, Alex
Brooks Associates Racing
0 16         
20Dempsey, Peter
Younessi Racing
21Younessi, Rodin
Younessi Racing
22Wagner, Brandon
Team E
23Newton-John, Emerson
Fan Force United
24Krohn, Anders
Bryan Herta Autosport
Old 29 May 2012, 18:36 (Ref:3081339)   #33
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So there is not one full time American driver in indy lights this year?
Old 30 May 2012, 16:33 (Ref:3081957)   #34
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Hildebrand, Kimball and Newgarden graduated from Indy Lights in the last three years.

Nick Andries (3rd in 2011 Star Mazda) debuted in the Indy Lights race at Long Beach, but I haven't found why he isn't racing now. Connor de Philippi (3rd and 2nd in 2010 and 2011 Star Mazda) is fighting for the Star Mazda title and will surely step up to Indy Lights for 2013. I guess that Sage Karam (5th in 2011 Star Mazda) will do the same in 2013 or 2014.
Old 31 May 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3082768)   #35
HaydenFan
Racer

HaydenFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Hildebrand, Kimball and Newgarden graduated from Indy Lights in the last three years.

Nick Andries (3rd in 2011 Star Mazda) debuted in the Indy Lights race at Long Beach, but I haven't found why he isn't racing now. Connor de Philippi (3rd and 2nd in 2010 and 2011 Star Mazda) is fighting for the Star Mazda title and will surely step up to Indy Lights for 2013. I guess that Sage Karam (5th in 2011 Star Mazda) will do the same in 2013 or 2014.
Andries can't find money. He got the money to drive the rental for Bryan Herta Autosport at Long Beach, but the money for Indy at BHA came from another driver.

de Phillippi should dominate the title in my opinion. Most who run Star Mazda and look like they have anythings close to talent will win a title in their first year or two. Connor is in year 3 and should take it with a few races to go if he wants to be taken serious in motorsport.

While I think Karam will move up (even next season), I don't see much from him. He races for the best funded team in Star Mazda, and while he's only like 17-18, he hasn't gotten the results in Star Mazda (in what has been a fairly weak grid the last couple of years) to show at least to those on the outside he is that great.

I'm most impressed in Star Mazda with Hawksworth. He came to the US relatively unknown (even in him home country) and has done great. Couple of wins and a title contender. Hope he doesn't disappear like Christodoulou did a few years back.

A bit disappointed by Chavez though. Former FBMW Americas title winner, and has experience in F3 and GP3 (with some success), but hasn't stepped out as someone to watch in the years to come with his so-so performances to start the season. He is the lead driver with the defending championship team and should be a top 3 driver.
Old 31 May 2012, 19:18 (Ref:3082809)   #36
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenFan View Post
Andries can't find money. He got the money to drive the rental for Bryan Herta Autosport at Long Beach, but the money for Indy at BHA came from another driver.
what level of money are we talking about to run a decent but not flashy car for a year in these series?
Old 31 May 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3082819)   #37
HaydenFan
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
what level of money are we talking about to run a decent but not flashy car for a year in these series?
I've heard Indy Lights budgets are similar to top flight F3 budget. Can run a driver upwards of $800K USD to a million dollars.

I know from a friend who ran Star Mazda a few years back that the budgets there are upwards of $300K USD for an entire season. But he even said that number is closer to a half of a million dollars if you want to have a serious shot at the title. Not sure how the budget is this season as they are running many more events as double headers. They went from 11 races in 10 rounds last season to 18 races in 11 rounds this season. Not sure how much a budget jump that is.

Much less than what it costs to run similar series in Europe, but still a big jump from karting and Skip Barber or the other bottom end series than only run a driver less than $100K or $150K.
Old 31 May 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3082865)   #38
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
I've heard Indy Lights budgets are similar to top flight F3 budget. Can run a driver upwards of $800K USD to a million dollars.

I know from a friend who ran Star Mazda a few years back that the budgets there are upwards of $300K USD for an entire season. But he even said that number is closer to a half of a million dollars if you want to have a serious shot at the title. Not sure how the budget is this season as they are running many more events as double headers. They went from 11 races in 10 rounds last season to 18 races in 11 rounds this season. Not sure how much a budget jump that is.

Much less than what it costs to run similar series in Europe, but still a big jump from karting and Skip Barber or the other bottom end series than only run a driver less than $100K or $150K.
I have a nice job and that's still more than I make in a year.

If I do get in I think I'll just stick to midgets and/or sprint cars, where I can get everything secondhand for $10-15k.
Old 31 May 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3082888)   #39
HaydenFan
Racer

Quote:

If I do get in I think I'll just stick to midgets and/or sprint cars, where I can get everything secondhand for $10-15k.
I know what you mean. I did a few Skippy races a few years back and for the 10 thousand (5K per race) a weekend it killed me. My parents paid for them, but I had the choice of those or a they helped pay for college. I chose the races (in hindsight not the best idea), and had to take the extra loans for school.

But those figures are based on your paying a team. Covering the salaries of a couple of mechanics and an engineer. Potential damage you'll get (and trust me, you'll get it. Whether you hit anything or not.). And you also are paying the team owner. IMO, that is where the biggest chunk of money goes to. Even a new Formula Ford 2000 car is only a bit over $100K with an engine. And in America, you're not getting a new chassis every year. Odds are in F2000 or USF2000, you're going to be using a car that is 2-3 years old. Star Mazda and Indy Lights are using a car over a decade old now.

If you run things on your own, costs are much less in year 2 on (as start up costs are what keep most new racers away) as you are more likely to do much of the work yourself.

I'd agree, stick with what you can afford and be competitive and still have fun.

BTW, where can you pick up a sprint car for 15K? In Michigan, a secondhand car is still 25-30K for a car. But then again most of my info there comes from a family member who races in the American Sprint Car Series.

But Midgets, in the midwest, those cars are everywhere. Traveling around the Great Lakes could easily get give you 30-40 races and 2-3 championships without driving more than 1000 miles round trip to a race on a given weekend. And in some cases, you could get 2 or even 3 races in a single weekend that you could make. And in most cases, especially on dirt, you don't need to change tires.
Old 31 May 2012, 22:02 (Ref:3082925)   #40
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
BTW, where can you pick up a sprint car for 15K? In Michigan, a secondhand car is still 25-30K for a car. But then again most of my info there comes from a family member who races in the American Sprint Car Series.
Classifieds on multiple sites.
Old 31 May 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3082943)   #41
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I know what you mean. I did a few Skippy races a few years back and for the 10 thousand (5K per race) a weekend it killed me. My parents paid for them, but I had the choice of those or a they helped pay for college. I chose the races (in hindsight not the best idea), and had to take the extra loans for school.

But those figures are based on your paying a team. Covering the salaries of a couple of mechanics and an engineer. Potential damage you'll get (and trust me, you'll get it. Whether you hit anything or not.). And you also are paying the team owner. IMO, that is where the biggest chunk of money goes to. Even a new Formula Ford 2000 car is only a bit over $100K with an engine. And in America, you're not getting a new chassis every year. Odds are in F2000 or USF2000, you're going to be using a car that is 2-3 years old. Star Mazda and Indy Lights are using a car over a decade old now.

If you run things on your own, costs are much less in year 2 on (as start up costs are what keep most new racers away) as you are more likely to do much of the work yourself.

I'd agree, stick with what you can afford and be competitive and still have fun.

But Midgets, in the midwest, those cars are everywhere. Traveling around the Great Lakes could easily get give you 30-40 races and 2-3 championships without driving more than 1000 miles round trip to a race on a given weekend. And in some cases, you could get 2 or even 3 races in a single weekend that you could make. And in most cases, especially on dirt, you don't need to change tires.
Which F2000 car costs 100K with engine?
Old 31 May 2012, 23:45 (Ref:3082958)   #42
HaydenFan
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Which F2000 car costs 100K with engine?
You're right. Can't think of, nor find one. Even the new Van Diemen chassis is only like 45 thousand. Never really looked, and seeing that cars going for nearly a decade old great condition selling for 25-30 thousand, I was assuming.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 01:58 (Ref:3082982)   #43
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
You're right. Can't think of, nor find one. Even the new Van Diemen chassis is only like 45 thousand. Never really looked, and seeing that cars going for nearly a decade old great condition selling for 25-30 thousand, I was assuming.
There is no new Van Diemen, they're out of business.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 02:37 (Ref:3082992)   #44
HaydenFan
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
There is no new Van Diemen, they're out of business.
Elan, Van Diemen, same company now. I don't pay attention much to the club racing or F2000 scene, so I don't know much about the cars. But it's semantics.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 02:56 (Ref:3082996)   #45
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I saw a friend recently who sold his sprint car for $10k. Looked pretty nice.

To me it's pointless to blow money on these junior formulas anymore. With the exception of a few paid rides from penske and ganassi, everyone else works for peanuts or brings money in the irl. You look at people like Conor Daly or John Edwards and realistically you either make your big shot at F1 or go Nascar. There is also a growing segment out there for paid pros in sportscar racing.

From my own experience, my advice to youngsters, especially those who don't have dads willing to write millions of dollars in checks, is to go the Nascar route. If I had to do it all over again, I would have started racing at my local short track oval and would have been racing every saturday night at a minimum than faffing around trying to raise huge sums of money to race formula cars in front of nobody.

The other thing I would say is that if you are not independently wealthy or have access to great connections, you are better off investing any money you have in education and either growing your career or business. Then when you are 40, like Ken Block, you can afford to do whatever the hell you want to and have the connections to raise money to pay for it as well.

Other than that, if one wants to race open wheel formula cars, FF2000, I believe is reasonable once you make the initial investment in equipment. The cars hold their value well and don't go out of date in one year.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 03:29 (Ref:3083002)   #46
HaydenFan
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post

To me it's pointless to blow money on these junior formulas anymore. With the exception of a few paid rides from penske and ganassi, everyone else works for peanuts or brings money in the irl. You look at people like Conor Daly or John Edwards and realistically you either make your big shot at F1 or go Nascar. There is also a growing segment out there for paid pros in sportscar racing.

From my own experience, my advice to youngsters, especially those who don't have dads willing to write millions of dollars in checks, is to go the Nascar route. If I had to do it all over again, I would have started racing at my local short track oval and would have been racing every saturday night at a minimum than faffing around trying to raise huge sums of money to race formula cars in front of nobody.

The other thing I would say is that if you are not independently wealthy or have access to great connections, you are better off investing any money you have in education and either growing your career or business. Then when you are 40, like Ken Block, you can afford to do whatever the hell you want to and have the connections to raise money to pay for it as well.

Other than that, if one wants to race open wheel formula cars, FF2000, I believe is reasonable once you make the initial investment in equipment. The cars hold their value well and don't go out of date in one year.
John Eddy benefited from the Red Bull program. Yes, I think he did come from a family willing to fund a racing career, but his trip to Europe and quick return to America was directed by that energy drink company. I wish they'd have kept him abroad. His results in Atlantics and Star Mazda proved that.

Single seater people have a much bigger passion about the sport IMO though. Yes, the costs are higher, but the people involved seemed to be much more invested in the series beyond the investment.

Well, I take that back. Rally guys have the biggest passion for the sport. Haven't met a rally driver who isn't crazy. Who only think about rally cars and rally racing. Most of their thoughts go back to the idea of how to fix some piece of the car without spending anymore money, but that is passion in my books.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 04:11 (Ref:3083011)   #47
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Single seater people have a much bigger passion about the sport IMO though. Yes, the costs are higher, but the people involved seemed to be much more invested in the series beyond the investment.

Well, I take that back. Rally guys have the biggest passion for the sport. Haven't met a rally driver who isn't crazy. Who only think about rally cars and rally racing. Most of their thoughts go back to the idea of how to fix some piece of the car without spending anymore money, but that is passion in my books.
Everyone has their own reasons and levels of passion and it doesn't matter which segment of motorsport it is.

When it comes to these junior formula series and they want $350K or $800K just for one season, you have to ask whether this is a good investment for that money or whether that can go to something else more worthwhile. Too many of these kids are not looking at it as a business and as a result they and their parent wash bazillions down the drain and they get creamed financially.

To me as a driver, any money I do spend on motorsport, there has to be a return of some sort or experience worth having to further my career.

Passion is one thing but when then the sums of money are big enough that could be invested in things like a house or a business that would generate more income, you have to question the return on investment racing in something like star mazda. If you are going to spend a couple of million to get to the indy racin league, you may as well spend it on stock car racing and have a shot at a real career.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3083386)   #48
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post

This is where the lack of open information on this kind of stuff is a hindrance to the sport. Everyone else works for peanuts? We don't know what the 15th-best driver in Indycar now makes in comparison to his comparative number in 2002, 1992, 1982, 1972, etc. We don't know gate money is received like in boxing or MMA for example because promoters would never release them. We don't know what rent for a track is. In modern athlete terms it's probably peanuts but if you find who that driver was 30 years ago, I doubt that man was rich he probably had a working-class to middle-class living as a racecar driver, so that'd be something that's not changed.

To provide a comparison to another series, your top guys in Supercross (which I consider very well run for the product they produce) are millionaires. I think Ryan Villopoto gets something like $5 million. Ryan Dungey got paid a fortune to drive for KTM, and James Stewart and Chad Reed are likewise doing very well. The guys there that get 12th every week are on something like $50000. Which, you know, compared to society, that's a good middle-class living for maybe 8 months' work, but it's a huge difference from the guys in front of them.

Quote:
NASCAR's having its struggles too at the moment. And I would never tell even a talented driver in the U.S. to move over and try F1. It's not worth it and a lot of people over there would be wanting you to fail.

Look if I get into racing, I'm just doing it for fun. I'm 29 years old, I'm too old to seriously consider any kind of career but I now have financial stability from work that I myself did. Maybe when I was younger, but there's not much in the way of racing where I grew up and now that I'm older and see what parents do for their kids to give them a chance at this stuff, I'm glad my parents didn't do that although I don't think it was ever seriously under consideration anyway. My only way to get into big-time racing is on the technical side where I'd be likely volunteering. Which that's fine, I may move to Indiana for my real job in the coming future, but again, I'm green, so there's no reason for anyone to pay me, and they wouldn't. You mention Conor Daly, I've talked to guys that raced against Daly, and they don't respect him because they knew they were better than him racing against him at lower levels. And this guy won a Star Mazda title, an Indy Lights race, and is now following around the F1 circuit in GP3.

Quote:
The issue with that though is you're effectively Marty Roth then. That's part of what detracts from sportscars for me is versions of Marty Roth are half the fields it has sometimes seemed, Marty Roth in Indycar was vilified, Marty Roth in sportscars would be perfectly normal. I'll defend Roth before I defend the Milka Dunos and Hiro Matsushi+as of the world because leaving his talent or lack thereof out of it, he created his own ride, he did not buy anyone else's, but still you're not going to have a series people care about if people like him are a good portion of your grid.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 1 Jun 2012 at 18:03.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3083439)   #49
HaydenFan
Racer

Quote:
You mention Conor Daly, I've talked to guys that raced against Daly, and they don't respect him because they knew they were better than him racing against him at lower levels. And this guy won a Star Mazda title, an Indy Lights race, and is now following around the F1 circuit in GP3.
People didn't respect Daly? Huh.... I did when I ran a Skippy race against him (as well as Eric Bachelart's kid) in Cleveland. He was better than most of us. Maybe the likes of Joel Miller (only using his name as an example. Good guy.) or Peter Dempsey who didn't have the money to move to truly competitive rides outside Star Mazda might be upset. But Conor wasn't coming from a family with a big check book. He had the advantage of his father and the connections that brought, but why disrespect him? He has the speed, yes others did too in the US junior formula, but not the money. That is racing sadly.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 19:26 (Ref:3083459)   #50
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
People didn't respect Daly? Huh.... I did when I ran a Skippy race against him (as well as Eric Bachelart's kid) in Cleveland. He was better than most of us. Maybe the likes of Joel Miller (only using his name as an example. Good guy.) or Peter Dempsey who didn't have the money to move to truly competitive rides outside Star Mazda might be upset. But Conor wasn't coming from a family with a big check book. He had the advantage of his father and the connections that brought, but why disrespect him? He has the speed, yes others did too in the US junior formula, but not the money. That is racing sadly.
The people that told me never did Skip Barber, it was shifter karts when Derek would buy his son the latest and greatest and then per my friend would go around to every other pitbox to talk to all the other drivers to see what they were running. "You know what we're running, we're running the same thing you are." (direct quote) .

It's about the same criticisms I heard about Danica and Marco some years ago from the same guy, and it's the same criticism I personally have of Dale Earnhardt Jr. who I believe won something like 3 times in 80 career starts at Myrtle Beach. Yeah, they're good solid racecar drivers, but it's not like they were going out there and taking first every race in the minor leagues, when you know they were better off than the people surrounding them. There's a lot of drivers over the years that did better than 3 wins in 80 starts at Myrtle Beach that never got a sniff of ARCA, let alone NASCAR Cup. (to partly defend Dale Jr., I don't think Dale Sr. gifted him a silver spoon at least on the local racing circuits like most fathers do.)

To go off on a tangent, my friend was particularly brutal about Marco at the time because when we were discussing him it was a couple days after the Indy 500 the one year when Marco and Mario Moraes had an accident in the first turn of the first lap, and upon hearing Marco's explanation of the crash and what Marco said he was doing my friend told me in more colorful words "he can drive fast, but from that explanation I can tell he never f-ing learned how to race".

And here we are, look at this past weekend's Indy 500, I was at the race, at midway there were 3 cars that were far and away the class of the field: Marco and the 2 Target cars. And then he disappeared mid-race like he has so many times before where he wasn't mature enough to settle down and handle his racecar when it went away from him. He's been doing Indycar for six years. I feel sorry for him somewhat (ditto Danica truthfully) because they along with Dale Jr. have pressures placed on them they can't help which detracts from their driving, but this script has played out so many times of him being up front early and then nowhere to be found at the end for it to just be a coincidence.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 1 Jun 2012 at 19:35.