Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 25 Apr 2017, 11:20 (Ref:3729104)   #1376
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
It won't be long now. There'll be sauerkraut everywhere!
My granny told me it started a long while ago. She was suggested to turn her farm's name from "Chez Jeanette" to Kommandantur
And after that you still meet people who say that we have no know how with foreign tourists… Its just that we are not easy with some languages!
Old 25 Apr 2017, 11:25 (Ref:3729105)   #1377
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Most supermarche fuel stations appear to be designed so that trucks can't get in, so I don't even consider them. When I'm in a van, then of course!

I get pee'd off in France now when I have to pre-pay for diesel, and tell the attendant how much I need. I've always been used to brimming if the price is right, so they are losing out! In Spain the other week I could fill to the top without any concern.....

Talking of access, the other day there was a constructor type 8 wheeler on the pumps at JS in town. Apart from it blocking access to about 3 other pumps, imagine how long it would take to put 300 litres in via a normal pump! I'm guessing some safety feature would shut it down after 100 anyway.......
I once had to wait for ages to fill-up at Sainsbury's in Cobham whilst Max Clifford filled both tanks in his Bentley, simultaneously on the phone the whole time. Guess he hasn't had to do that for a while...
Old 25 Apr 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3729106)   #1378
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I once had to wait for ages to fill-up at Sainsbury's in Cobham whilst Max Clifford filled both tanks in his Bentley, simultaneously on the phone the whole time. Guess he hasn't had to do that for a while...
For all the talk of how close France & Germany are supposed to be these days, German tourists are something of a rarity round here.

Likewise, I virtually never see another French-registered vehicle whenever I am in Germany.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3729107)   #1379
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Did you clear the mandatory pit stop thingy from analyzing the different stops at Jarama? Last year in Belgium, the pit marshall checked us with his wrist watch. Not very accurate I think…
Yes, thank you. We lost time due to stopping for exactly 5 minutes. Others stopped for slightly less as the timing check was for a complete pass through the pit lane including stop. I wasn't aware of that, otherwise I would have suggested stopping for less time! Think I'm going to ask to join the drivers at their briefings in future- seems they don't always pay enough attention.....

Quote:
Yesterday, we went to Tour Auto parc fermé. I wonder how Yvan Mahé will manage with a monstrous '63 Galaxie on our B roads. Any U turn is out of question!
Good for him using the aircraft carrier. Spectators will love it!
Old 25 Apr 2017, 11:31 (Ref:3729109)   #1380
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Not too bad assuming we are doing the Curry thing on Thursday evening.
Excellent. Look forward to hearing about your Irish adventure!
Old 25 Apr 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3729120)   #1381
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=Mike Bell;3729107]We lost time due to stopping for exactly 5 minutes. Others stopped for slightly less as the timing check was for a complete pass through the pit lane including stop. I wasn't aware of that, otherwise I would have suggested stopping for less time! Think I'm going to ask to join the drivers at their briefings in future- seems they don't always pay enough attention...
5 minutes sounds a lot, next time you will do around 2"30 I guess. It seems only drivers are invited to attend the briefing. Anyway, each rule is written on the paper you're given. Before the race I mean In principle they indicate the theorical time necessary to cover the pit lane at the mandatory speed to which you have to add 1 minute. Spa's pit lane can see traffic jams sometimes. And they do check the speed to and from…
Old 25 Apr 2017, 12:08 (Ref:3729123)   #1382
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Getting the pit lane time and stop perfect will be very difficult at Spa!

I don't like the 5 minute driver change rule, one minute is enough, even in a 2hr race! I think the reason is so that competitors can add fuel within the 5 minutes if necessary....
Old 25 Apr 2017, 12:25 (Ref:3729124)   #1383
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
My mistake, in your series the stop must last 5' and not 1'. Sorry.
Article #11 states: Ravitaillements : Les ravitaillements sont autorisés. Le fournisseur sera installé dans une zone sécurisée selon les prescriptions du circuit et de la Direction d’épreuve. Le ravitaillement ne peut être effectué que lors de l’arrêt obligatoire de 5 minutes.Il devra être effectué uniquement moteur éteint et seulement après que le pilote ait dégrafé son harnais. Aucun changement de pilote n’est autorisé dans la zone de ravitaillement. Aucune autre intervention sur la voiture n’est possible tant qu’un ravitaillement en essence est en cours. Hope its clear for you because its not for me…
Old 25 Apr 2017, 12:33 (Ref:3729126)   #1384
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...although it is meant to be a 5 min pit stop, the way it is policed is the time from pit in to pit out being no less than 5 mins plus the time taken to drive the pit lane at 60kph.

If your drivers continue to try to schmooze Emanuele Pirro during drivers briefing Mike , I will bring you a briefing sheet so you can see what they should be telling you about!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 25 Apr 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3729128)   #1385
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
...although it is meant to be a 5 min pit stop, the way it is policed is the time from pit in to pit out being no less than 5 mins plus the time taken to drive the pit lane at 60kph.

If your drivers continue to try to schmooze Emanuele Pirro during drivers briefing Mike , I will bring you a briefing sheet so you can see what they should be telling you about!!

Yes, I forgot that it was yourself that produced the note showing that the pro driver rule had been lifted / rescinded / cancelled or whatever! Thanks- I'll rely on you at Spa then, Will!
Old 25 Apr 2017, 18:13 (Ref:3729166)   #1386
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Hence the fact that many use a big stop watch glued on the dash or the steering wheel. Of course, you have to test during practice. And sometimes you have to pray for the first driver thinks about that… All in all its worth the effort when you think what it takes to gain 6" on the track…
Old 26 Apr 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3729280)   #1387
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yuk. Currently drying out after getting caught in a hailstorm while walking home! Yesterday same thing happened when on my scooter, but only got damp rather than soaked.

Need to get timing better this afternoon. Not sure of the best way to do so- radar weather app or look out of window in the direction wind is coming from......

At least we're having the showers now and not at Donington on the weekend!
Old 26 Apr 2017, 12:04 (Ref:3729282)   #1388
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Yuk. Currently drying out after getting caught in a hailstorm while walking home! Yesterday same thing happened when on my scooter, but only got damp rather than soaked.

Need to get timing better this afternoon. Not sure of the best way to do so- radar weather app or look out of window in the direction wind is coming from......

At least we're having the showers now and not at Donington on the weekend!
Had a couple of showers here too - our first rain for about six weeks. It's just like old times! (or rather, summer 2016, summer 2015.....)
Old 26 Apr 2017, 13:38 (Ref:3729296)   #1389
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, Zeff.....clearly it is something about the circuit that makes 356's do this

https://youtu.be/7GINUMO9TYA
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 26 Apr 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3729309)   #1390
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Now back at Hockenheim.one car journey . One flight from Standstead to Frankfurt Hahn for £28.00. Coach to Heidleburg .24 euro. Another bus from there to outskirts of Hockenheim . 12 Euro. Then a little bus to track entrance . 1 Euro. After all that we got to wait outside until 5 pm to get into paddock
Old 26 Apr 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3729310)   #1391
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Mike, Zeff.....clearly it is something about the circuit that makes 356's do this

https://youtu.be/7GINUMO9TYA
Has to be- it's never the drivers..... Poor show though not keeping it on the tarmac!
Old 26 Apr 2017, 14:30 (Ref:3729312)   #1392
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Now back at Hockenheim. After all that we got to wait outside until 5 pm to get into paddock
Not them as well! Hope you're not waiting in bad weather.....
Old 26 Apr 2017, 15:04 (Ref:3729321)   #1393
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Bit cold and drizzle
Old 26 Apr 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3729326)   #1394
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Got an ice shower when riding in Paris! Shopping was for a comfy saddle for my CB1000…
Mike, what is precisely a "scooter"? Cant imagine a Ducatiman Ã* califourchon on a 3 wheeler. Piaggio produces a kind of mistake of nature, the one born from love between a supermarket cart and a walking aid !!
Old 26 Apr 2017, 16:41 (Ref:3729337)   #1395
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Got an ice shower when riding in Paris! Shopping was for a comfy saddle for my CB1000…
Mike, what is precisely a "scooter"? Cant imagine a Ducatiman Ã* califourchon on a 3 wheeler. Piaggio produces a kind of mistake of nature, the one born from love between a supermarket cart and a walking aid !!

In UK Vespa / Lambretta etc are 'Scooters'. Usually describes a small wheel'd machine. Mine is a 2001 Zip 125 4-stroke that was originally a paddock bike for a team, but is now taxed and insured for road use (Europe as well!).......

Old 26 Apr 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3729338)   #1396
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here you go. Genuine ex-Jim Clark and a shoe in for Goodwood Revival

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/112381014623?_mwBanner=1

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 26 Apr 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3729343)   #1397
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
In UK Vespa / Lambretta etc are 'Scooters'. Usually describes a small wheel'd machine. Mine is a 2001 Zip 125 4-stroke that was originally a paddock bike for a team, but is now taxed and insured for road use (Europe as well!).......

It seems to be fashionable to call everything a 'moped' these days, whether or not it has pedals...
Old 26 Apr 2017, 17:06 (Ref:3729344)   #1398
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

Sure I can remember him racing it.....

Joking apart, it actually looks in quite good condition- if you like that sort of thing!

Now, the V8 Cortina pictured on the Mitty thread really is cool.....
Old 26 Apr 2017, 17:07 (Ref:3729345)   #1399
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

Well, it probably suits Goodwood's 'Lifestyle' mantra!
Old 26 Apr 2017, 17:12 (Ref:3729347)   #1400
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
It seems to be fashionable to call everything a 'moped' these days, whether or not it has pedals...
Yes, it annoys me and I correct any youngster describing scooters as such!