Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Mar 2019, 12:04 (Ref:3889311)   #976
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it is time to rename the 'remoaners' those who voted to stay, but will not accept they were in the minority. I believe that the majority who voted to stay do accept the result, however, too many vested interests and chancers, are constantly trying to undermine the process of leaving. I therefore suggest that in future we refer to

Sore Losers.
Old 9 Mar 2019, 13:25 (Ref:3889316)   #977
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can we drop Brexiteer, remoaner and other insulting epithets please? Everyone is entitled to an opinion and nobody here, as far as I'm aware, has suggested that they would not accept the vote. We have got those suggesting the referendum was bent and was thus invalid, but this is an argument that has so far been rejected three times by the courts.

Hurling insults and/or name calling is not in accordance with the nature of this forum. We can leave that to the pundits.

Thanks.
Old 9 Mar 2019, 14:04 (Ref:3889317)   #978
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Indeed and two months ago Italy was past going tits up.

I haven't seen much about Italy in the UK media recently.

Is nothing happening now. Or just not interesting enough?

Or is somebody coordinating a news blackout due to the sensitivity of Brexit? Or something else maybe?
Old 9 Mar 2019, 14:25 (Ref:3889318)   #979
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
True it has ginequiet but their GDP has dropped further and the banks are struggling to raise funds. Give it a couple of months.
Old 9 Mar 2019, 14:46 (Ref:3889319)   #980
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
True it has gone quiet but their GDP has dropped further and the banks are struggling to raise funds. Give it a couple of months.
Well, we’re not at Monza until September so will have an idea of whether to fuel up before going through the Alps or afterwards! Couple of years ago diesel in Italy was very expensive, but after the French price hikes last year it was slightly cheaper.....

And thank you for your previous post, Peter. Spot on.
Old 9 Mar 2019, 14:51 (Ref:3889321)   #981
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Can we drop Brexiteer, remoaner and other insulting epithets please? Everyone is entitled to an opinion and nobody here, as far as I'm aware, has suggested that they would not accept the vote. We have got those suggesting the referendum was bent and was thus invalid, but this is an argument that has so far been rejected three times by the courts.

Hurling insults and/or name calling is not in accordance with the nature of this forum. We can leave that to the pundits.

Thanks.
My apologies for any offence caused, it was not aimed at anybody on this forum.

Bob.
Old 9 Mar 2019, 16:08 (Ref:3889324)   #982
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Well, we’re not at Monza until September so will have an idea of whether to fuel up before going through the Alps or afterwards! Couple of years ago diesel in Italy was very expensive, but after the French price hikes last year it was slightly cheaper.....

And thank you for your previous post, Peter. Spot on.
Nothing new there then, I remember back in 1975/76 when I used to drive a truck to Italy and back weekly that petrol was cheaper than the UK but diesel was nearly twice the price we used to pay here, admittedly we were only paying something like 40p per gallon but relatively it was a fortune back then.
Old 9 Mar 2019, 16:26 (Ref:3889328)   #983
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Nothing new there then, I remember back in 1975/76 when I used to drive a truck to Italy and back weekly that petrol was cheaper than the UK but diesel was nearly twice the price we used to pay here, admittedly we were only paying something like 40p per gallon but relatively it was a fortune back then.
Yes, it’s interesting how countries tax different fuels. Always have to double check! I got caught out when filling the van up in Imola last spring- the price displayed was for self service, but when an assistant fuelled your vehicle, the cost was considerably more....

Another serious dilemma due to the lack of clarity at the moment- GB stickers.... To be safe I’ve splashed out a considerable 99 pence on an old fashioned oval white version without EU blue colour and circle of stars.....

Oh, and the trailer registration plate fell off after a week. Is that an omen?
Old 10 Mar 2019, 05:34 (Ref:3889406)   #984
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Of course, polls can be completely unreliable, and questions worded to get biased answers, but this sounds about right to me (especially the bit about the public being fed up with the whole thing!)....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...cid=spartandhp
Old 10 Mar 2019, 10:40 (Ref:3889428)   #985
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well people will always use polls, but most of the time they are quite good. I think people don't know what they have let themselves in for with this whole mess
Old 10 Mar 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3889433)   #986
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well people will always use polls, but most of the time they are quite good.
Like the 2015 General Election poll for instance....

Going back to Italy’s financial situation, I didn’t realise that 20 years ago a new high speed rail tunnel through the Alps was agreed, and indeed some construction has already been done. The project is partly financed by France, Italy and the EU money pot.

The ‘Treno Alta Velocita’ was supposed to be completed by 2025, but now the Italian PM has ‘put tenders on hold’ for their side of the project. According to the Beeb news the French side is continuing to be worked on, in order to avoid losing EU funding. Sounds like one of those projects that seemed a good idea at the time, but now.....
Old 10 Mar 2019, 11:42 (Ref:3889436)   #987
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Well people will always use polls, but most of the time they are quite good. I think people don't know what they have let themselves in for with this whole mess
Being a binary question it was always going to be difficult. The mess that you refer to is the lack of will of Parliament to enact the result. Yes, initially it would have been difficult but the savings in terms of EU donations would go a long way to solving the initial bump.

Had we just said "ok we're leaving" then we could have got on with agreeing new deals on a worldwide basis, ignoring the EU until it was time to sit down and have a sensible conversation with them. Instead we have tried to do a deal with the EU forgetting the rest of the world.

Personally I knew what a leave vote would do and I hoped the government would honour it. We already know (now) that the fears raised by the remain campaign were simply not true. And yes the money saved is not as much as was on the bus, but even if it equates to 200m per week it would still be a substantial improvement in the public finances.
Old 10 Mar 2019, 19:17 (Ref:3889514)   #988
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well what can you do? We’ve got an uncertain future and people will now start playing the blame game

Just have to wait and see I suppose. I’m not going to go into the wheres and whys today
Old 11 Mar 2019, 06:46 (Ref:3889584)   #989
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So, exciting times! A vote tomorrow (or maybe not), then depending on the result of that, another vote on Wednesday (or maybe not), then depending on the result of that (if it takes place), another vote on Thursday!

By then everything will be crystal clear.... (Or maybe not)
Old 11 Mar 2019, 11:08 (Ref:3889617)   #990
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So, exciting times! A vote tomorrow (or maybe not), then depending on the result of that, another vote on Wednesday (or maybe not), then depending on the result of that (if it takes place), another vote on Thursday!

The 'maybe not' bit may be quite apt - lot of mutterings on the politics 'twittersphere' this morning of a potential delay to voting and the PM to make a written statement this afternoon.....
Old 11 Mar 2019, 11:28 (Ref:3889620)   #991
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
The 'maybe not' bit may be quite apt - lot of mutterings on the politics 'twittersphere' this morning of a potential delay to voting and the PM to make a written statement this afternoon.....
You young’uns and your twittering....... Written statement, eh? Even more exciting!
Old 11 Mar 2019, 13:07 (Ref:3889642)   #992
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I've received an invitation to a discussion where people from the British Embassy on Wednesday will inform us of the latest developments.

I suspect that won't take them very long and can't see any point attending, apart from the possibility of learning different ways to say I have no idea!
Old 11 Mar 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3889651)   #993
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Will there be beer?
Old 11 Mar 2019, 13:53 (Ref:3889654)   #994
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Will there be beer?
Probably lots of waffle(s)
Old 11 Mar 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3889658)   #995
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Being Belgium I’d hope both! Maybe with some frites as starters.....
Old 11 Mar 2019, 14:14 (Ref:3889659)   #996
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

And chocolates to finish.
Old 11 Mar 2019, 16:34 (Ref:3889685)   #997
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

If so probably lots of May (or nays).........
Old 11 Mar 2019, 16:44 (Ref:3889692)   #998
bauble
Veteran

England
I saw Chukka Whats'isname on BBC this morning arguing for a second referendum on the basis that people might have changed their mind, and lots of young people could now vote. Funny how he is not minded to ask for a second vote for his own continuance as an MP considering the change in his allegiance.

Double standards naturally for any politician and the latest gang to resign from their party are no different - all principle when it suits them, but not when it affects them. A whiff of hypocrisy about?
Old 11 Mar 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3889695)   #999
S griffin
Veteran

Well you can point out hypocrisy, although they may have a point whatever you may think of them

Politicians usually fall into either the elitist or the hard working camp it seems
Old 11 Mar 2019, 17:32 (Ref:3889699)   #1000
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Well you can point out hypocrisy, although they may have a point whatever you may think of them

Politicians usually fall into either the elitist or the hard working camp it seems
So, what would be your stance in relation to these MPs who have deserted their party?