Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:21 (Ref:3992385)   #151
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I am surprised Grosjean didn't get a penalty, or did he?

He got a black-white flag for his move on Sainz and then pulled the same trick on Ricciardo. That was really not OK.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:22 (Ref:3992388)   #152
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not the first time it has happened at Silverstone either. They should really get their act together! We can not have this.

There is nothing the teams can do to prevent this, other than stop earlier. They seem to be forced into pushing things to the limit to win a race.

And next week they are racing with softer tyres! F1 must reverse this decision IMMEDIATELY. God forbid anything interesting ever happens.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:23 (Ref:3992389)   #153
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
By the same token Bottas should have done the same.
And Sainz! It’s a joke.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:25 (Ref:3992393)   #154
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Did Horner just say Albons penalty was ‘probably fair’

SHOCK HORROR......Horner not complaining!!!!!

That moment was more exhilarating than the last lap!
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:25 (Ref:3992394)   #155
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I call it unfortunate if it happens on a single car.
Unacceptable if it's a structural thing.

3 cars out of 20 = 15%.
4 out of 20 = 20%. (Coulthard thought the rear tire on Kvyat's car had gone)

That's more than just unfortunate.
Not bad considering most of the field decided to run these tyres longer than they intended.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:26 (Ref:3992396)   #156
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
And next week they are racing with softer tyres! F1 must reverse this decision IMMEDIATELY. God forbid anything interesting ever happens.
I am all for interesting races, but tyre failures like this are not something I like to see.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:27 (Ref:3992397)   #157
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Did Horner just say Albons penalty was ‘probably fair’

SHOCK HORROR......Horner not complaining!!!!!

That moment was more exhilarating than the last lap!
I’m not massive outraged by the penalty, but I do think it was a bit harsh. I liked Brundle’s comment that it was perhaps low percentage so not wise rather than he shouldn’t have gone for it.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:27 (Ref:3992398)   #158
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
I am surprised Grosjean didn't get a penalty, or did he?

He got a black-white flag for his move on Sainz and then pulled the same trick on Ricciardo. That was really not OK.
It was naughty. I’m all for penalties to stop the late defensive moves.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:28 (Ref:3992399)   #159
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I’m not massive outraged by the penalty, but I do think it was a bit harsh. I liked Brundle’s comment that it was perhaps low percentage so not wise rather than he shouldn’t have gone for it.
Harsh but consistent with Hamilton’s penalty in Austria......so can’t complain really
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:29 (Ref:3992400)   #160
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Oh it’s all over Facebook, whilst completely ignoring the several other drivers who had a puncture....some have even said he should have pitted....forgetting the fact he was on the last lap when the puncture hit.

The saltiness is delicious and goes great with my fish n chips. Nom nom
It isn’t very fair though. He keeps winning.

I don’t like this trait with the Pirellis where they just deflate on the drivers. The teams ran the hard a bit longer then they should have done, granted, but that should just result in loss of performance instead of hurling cars at the scenery.

It will obviously be blamed on Kimi’s debris or something now.

I gasped when I saw they weren’t pitting Hamilton. Lucky his tyre got halfway round the lap. The difference between retaining a win and ending up 11th is so harsh.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:33 (Ref:3992401)   #161
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
I am all for interesting races, but tyre failures like this are not something I like to see.
I don’t like to see them, as I don’t like to see, say, a leader’s engine blow up, or crash out, or a crash during overtaking, etc..,, but remove the chance of any of these and the sport is much much poorer. See F1 is boring comments here and elsewhere.

I find it interesting that we get something like this and someone has to be to blame and we have to eradicate everything (even before considering the whys!). Eventually that gets to a critical mass, rules are changed, the sport gets harmonised, and slowly we lose something about it.

You might have something if this happened all the time under normal circumstances, but it doesn’t. The fact that there is the possibility if you go outside the norm is good.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:34 (Ref:3992402)   #162
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I seem to remember Pirelli having a tyre problems at Silverstone before.

It will be interesting to know if there were any more tyres close to failure given that 2 happened on the last lap?
If we had a number of different tyre manufacturers I could understand failures but this is odd at a track that is a regular with stable regulations.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:34 (Ref:3992403)   #163
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Can’t disagree with the way the tyres deflate but let’s not forget tyre management has always been part of racing not just F1....only 3/4 drivers had a puncture, the rest managed their tyres.

I’m not saying it’s a great situation and obviously it will need to be looked at but most people didn’t have a puncture today and finished the race successfully
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:35 (Ref:3992404)   #164
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Webber saying Grosjean is “borderline out of his depth in this sport”, lovely stuff.

Was probably having anger flashbacks to Suzuka 2012.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:37 (Ref:3992405)   #165
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Webber saying Grosjean is “borderline out of his depth in this sport”, lovely stuff.

Il be surprised if either Haas driver is in the sport next year. My guess is Perez lead driver with a Ferrari Jr driver in the other seat
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:37 (Ref:3992407)   #166
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
I don’t like this trait with the Pirellis where they just deflate on the drivers. The teams ran the hard a bit longer then they should have done, granted, but that should just result in loss of performance instead of hurling cars at the scenery.
I see your point from a safety point of view.

We’ve had that situation too with drop off. Everyone hated that too. Everyone also hated when they were so hard they just lasted for ever.

They were compromised, they did degrade, you could even see it! Plenty of warning. They chose to keep pushing it. Didn’t work.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:37 (Ref:3992408)   #167
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Surely the fact that virtually everyone decided to pit earlier than planned because of the SC is the significant issue. Slagging Pirelli off because teams run a tyre beyond the design life is a bit daft......
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:37 (Ref:3992409)   #168
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Can’t disagree with the way the tyres deflate but let’s not forget tyre management has always been part of racing not just F1....only 3/4 drivers had a puncture, the rest managed their tyres.

I’m not saying it’s a great situation and obviously it will need to be looked at but most people didn’t have a puncture today and finished the race successfully
That can be as much down to aero load on the cars as anything else. The Merc works its tyres harder than any other car and loses both cars almost. Red Bull reckoned they were close to the same issue. Hamilton is the master of tyre management and even he had the problem.

I don’t think the drivers manage the tyres with total failure in mind, unless there has been an indication of it in practice.

Quite a handy way of reigning Mercedes in!
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:39 (Ref:3992410)   #169
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I was surprised to find out Grosjean is a GPDA director.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3992411)   #170
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Albon really not performing in this race, P8 when he could(should) be up there with Max on the podium with a car that's clearly faster than the Ferrari, but he even finished behind Gasly
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3992412)   #171
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I seem to remember Pirelli having a tyre problems at Silverstone before.

It will be interesting to know if there were any more tyres close to failure given that 2 happened on the last lap?
If we had a number of different tyre manufacturers I could understand failures but this is odd at a track that is a regular with stable regulations.
You’d think the teams would have known this and understood that Silverstone is a fast circuit, plenty of downforce and pushes the left front a lot. I think it was 2017 the last time (Vettel’s?). They could have pitted. Perhaps we don’t need a new tyre manufacturer we need new teams.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:42 (Ref:3992413)   #172
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
I see your point from a safety point of view.

We’ve had that situation too with drop off. Everyone hated that too. Everyone also hated when they were so hard they just lasted for ever.

They were compromised, they did degrade, you could even see it! Plenty of warning. They chose to keep pushing it. Didn’t work.
I don’t think tyres are ever satisfactory when you have just one manufacturer unfortunately.

Pirelli do an OK job overall, they are much better than they were. They aren’t unsafe as they were at one point, nor are they degrading as if activated by a switch anymore. But they still have quirks that irritate me.

But, you know, it is fine for other people and it could be a lot worse (Bridgestone 1999 urgh).
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:45 (Ref:3992415)   #173
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Some keep saying teams ran the hard tyres way longer than they should have, but was is that based on?

Who makes the data with the predicted stop strategy that is shown during the formation lap?
Is that Pirelli data or is that just the TV production team making that up?
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:47 (Ref:3992417)   #174
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
I don’t think tyres are ever satisfactory when you have just one manufacturer unfortunately.
I agree.
Although competition here would mean pushing it more to the limit and introduce the potential for more failures.

Quote:
Pirelli do an OK job overall, they are much better than they were. They aren’t unsafe as they were at one point, nor are they degrading as if activated by a switch anymore. But they still have quirks that irritate me.
Tyres will always have quirks that are irritating. If they don't the quirk will be boredom through consistency.
Quote:
But, you know, it is fine for other people and it could be a lot worse (Bridgestone 1999 urgh).
Old 2 Aug 2020, 15:50 (Ref:3992418)   #175
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Failures in the pursuit of excellence are fine by me tbf! That is to be expected.

That said, I reckon if the manufacturers were really trying the tyres would produce supreme performance and almost never fail or even wear out much. It has been so long since we had a tyre war and things have come a long way since.