Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 21 Jun 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3832310)   #1
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nitro World Games 2018 - Utah

This post maybe belongs in the ARX thread, but it seems this is being treated as a standalone event so I have given it a thread of it's own.

In September the "Nitro World Games" (the brainchild of Travis Pastrana) will run at Utah Motorsports Camp. There are several events listed on the official website including rallycross (as "NRX").

Nitro World Games appears to be sponsored by VW, Subaru and Red Bull (so far, so GRC) but, interestingly, Mattias Ekstrom is listed as one of the drivers participating. I wonder if one of the EKS cars will make the journey, or if they will find a car locally for him?
Old 13 Sep 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3849829)   #2
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More details have come out about this event:

http://www.nitroworldgames.com/artic...th-a-roll-cage

Including a map of the track:

It looks more like a motocross track than a rallycross circuit: that's surely going to break some cars?
Old 13 Sep 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3849845)   #3
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It really is a motocross track; different lanes, "bump" section, small jumps, sloped corners and a gap jump. When even the "extremes" of rallycross in GRC and X Games removed gap jumps I do wonder how that is gonna work out now, especially since there might be cars going under the jumping cars.

But yeah, the cars will probably be quite high and soft.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3849847)   #4
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
9 drivers listed so far with Timmy Hansen as well.

Obviously a week before WRX/ARX at CotA so they might get some more cars involved. Worried about the Motocross back section. That will only kill cars. Plus 3 different routes might be risky, surely they'll only choose 1. And jump on the inside of turn 1! Really only turn 1 offers a passing place. About 1.5-1.6km so a standard length track.

Apart from the motocross section, I like the look of it. Banked corners, random jumps, should be pretty spectacular.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 15:25 (Ref:3849894)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Doesn't Utah already have an short course off-road racetrack?
Old 24 Sep 2018, 12:14 (Ref:3852382)   #6
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously the entry was very low but put that aside.

This course was much better than any of the old GRC courses and obviously was primarily gravel. The jump was well designed which isn't a surprise given Travis was responsible for it. I would be interested to hear what Ekstrom and Hansen thought of the jump. Always looks spectacular and this one was much better than the metal one we used in GRC that took out Topi.

Be interesting to see if Travis can continue the Nitro Games to compete with X Games that seems to have run its course. If so, good for rally/rallycross as Travis is totally committed and with his body he has to have a cage around him now so won't drop rally like X Games did.

Oh and let the haters hate.....
Old 24 Sep 2018, 13:34 (Ref:3852399)   #7
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
I struggled with the App so was unable to watch the racing live. Hopefully some sort of highlight video will appear this week.

Definitely an intriguing layout though, as predicted, very hard on the cars. Those teams that had "spare" cars were obviously able to push a lot more than those who were thinking about racing next weekend in the same car (i.e. Hoonigan).
Old 24 Sep 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3852426)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G67dQf_rZNc
Old 26 Sep 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3852732)   #9
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In my opinion open jumps should not be allowed in any form of motor 'racing'
One at a time, or pursuit type events like the old super specials or ROC maybe, but not when cars are racing side by side.

One touch in the wrong place approaching the jump could force a car off line or reduce the speed, and then imagine what might happen.
Old 26 Sep 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3852734)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The tinseltown brigade, love it, just like Gronholm and Heikkinen did too.

Are we learning?
Old 26 Sep 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3852759)   #11
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus' crash at X Games had nothing to do with the jump. He clipped a lamp post base that was hidden behind the course marker barrier. The Boss never had any issues with the jump.

I was standing next to the jump when Topi crashed. He didn't have sufficient approach speed. In all the GRC events, Topi's was the only crash - typed until I remember Binks rolled our eBay car! (Sorry David)

Whether jumps have a place in rallycross, or should I say US rallycross, is open to debate. We obviously don't have the history of the classic tracks or any history of the sport here so gaining appeal may well need the novelty. When I was around the GRC I didn't any drivers complaining. If Marcus had complained we wouldn't have run the events.

The jumps in GRC/Nitro are hit at a much lower speed than the jumps on most rally stages, with custom built landings, without trees and with a much shorter distance flown.

I don't expect the purists here to want jumps. The majority want all events to be like the Lydden Winter Series c. 1986..........

(just to stir the pot a little)
Old 26 Sep 2018, 14:16 (Ref:3852786)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The simple fact is the courses were not very well designed in the early days, Gronholm hit a concrete block and Topi nose dived over a stupid jump into a lorry as I recall!! Or a platform. 40 to stop in no time.

You can blame the drivers all you want, and it is their fault, but it was hardly good PR, looked awful, ruined one mans career.

They were all in on the PR and hype, can you blame them? It was the first time RX had any kind of PR push at this level.

Jumps have no part, they are hugely false and also don't help making it any more spectacular, once you have seen it, you have seen it, big deal. Unless the point is to introduce accidents, (of which there have been some)

Joker laps I have never minded, contrary to what people would have you believe on here, I think they work fine, even in the old days in Sweden and Norway. Some are awful like Lydden, some are fine.
Old 26 Sep 2018, 21:19 (Ref:3852861)   #13
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the Holjes jump is brilliant. It's technically challenging. It really doesn't have to be more then that one, not higher, not a wide gap, no metal constructions destroying cars.
This kind of event is gunning towards gymkhana.
Old 27 Sep 2018, 08:13 (Ref:3852894)   #14
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jumps are fine but not so sure about gap jumps. The landing looked pretty mellow though.

Some actual good racing at the weekend and Hansen seemed to be genuinely stoked about the track. The number of entries made a bit of a mockery of the heats and semis (everyone’s a winner!) and the presenters were so bad that I started muting it. Is it just me or is Bucky Lasek really annoying and without much interesting to say?

Didn’t look like a well attended event for spectators though, and that’s possibly going to be an issue. And I wonder how much Hansen and Ekstrom got from Red Bull to turn up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 Sep 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3852898)   #15
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Is it just me or is Bucky Lasek really annoying and without much interesting to say?
Some of the videos I have seen of him talking about cars (which have probably been heavily edited) have been watchable.

I don't think he fares at all well during live sport though.
Old 27 Sep 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3852911)   #16
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
Marcus' crash at X Games had nothing to do with the jump. He clipped a lamp post base that was hidden behind the course marker barrier. The Boss never had any issues with the jump.

I was standing next to the jump when Topi crashed. He didn't have sufficient approach speed. In all the GRC events, Topi's was the only crash - typed until I remember Binks rolled our eBay car! (Sorry David)

Whether jumps have a place in rallycross, or should I say US rallycross, is open to debate. We obviously don't have the history of the classic tracks or any history of the sport here so gaining appeal may well need the novelty. When I was around the GRC I didn't any drivers complaining. If Marcus had complained we wouldn't have run the events.

The jumps in GRC/Nitro are hit at a much lower speed than the jumps on most rally stages, with custom built landings, without trees and with a much shorter distance flown.

I don't expect the purists here to want jumps. The majority want all events to be like the Lydden Winter Series c. 1986..........

(just to stir the pot a little)
I have no problem with jumps at all. There have been jumps in rallycross for a long time, there was even a little one at Ty-Croes back in the day. My problem is with open/gap jumps, where approach speed and positioning are vital to making the jump safely.
The jumps in rallying are taken one car at a time, not with three or four other cars on track at a time, doorhandling and jockeying for position.
Old 27 Sep 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3852912)   #17
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Some of the videos I have seen of him talking about cars (which have probably been heavily edited) have been watchable.

I don't think he fares at all well during live sport though.

TBF I didn’t think he was so bad as GP3R co-commentator for ARX, but the pieces to camera over last weekend were just really awkward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 Jan 2019, 20:32 (Ref:3874335)   #18
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Bit of a thread resurrection, but I only just found the NRX coverage on You Tube!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=eUqHLIBuPwk

Final is at the 1 hour 50 minute mark.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 23:20 (Ref:3874591)   #19
juha205
Rookie

Spain
Galicia (Northwest Spain)
juha205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hard to find, Great!

I had already seen it but I was not able to record it.
Old 9 Jan 2019, 18:49 (Ref:3875021)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Couple days ago Autosport had an article about Nitro:

https://www.autosport.com/wrx/news/1...ping-to-thrive