Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jun 2002, 02:34 (Ref:305935)   #1
freeze
Rookie

freeze should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vintage Can-Am at the Canadian GP?

Yes! We're in for a treat (at least I will) this weekend in Mtl.

A beautiful trip to memory lane. Who can remember the Mclaren M8-A and the fabulous M8-D? Who can forget the "Monster" - the Mark Donahue's Porsche 917-30? And so many more...

I can't wait. I feel like a kid on x-mas morning.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 02:40 (Ref:305938)   #2
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Salut M.Frete,
yes, it should be fun seeing, and especially hearing these cars. I am not that knowlegable of can am stuff, and have no idea of what will be there, but it should be fun. There's a chance they will be paddocked in the far east end, where the FF1600's etc set up camp, and would be worth the walk down there.

Passe un bonne fin de semaine ici.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 12:41 (Ref:306336)   #3
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Da**, I might have even made the trip if I had known that. I will have to check and see if CKSH is broadcasting it. Because of our large French Canadian population in Maine that Montreal channel is in our Basic Cable Package where it provides a welcome change of pace on occasion.

Can Am was one of the alltime best series. Really hairy machines. I'll never forget watching the cars become airborne at Lime Rock Park at the top of No Name straight where they have the chicane today. One of the cars finally took off there and didn't land until it was several yards into the woods. They had to put a stop to it after that incident.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 12:50 (Ref:306350)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was lucky enough to see Mark Donahue walk away with the Can Am at Watkins Glen in '73. This should be a real treat.

I think I'm I'm looking forward to it more than the F1 race. See you all on Monday..A bientot!
Old 6 Jun 2002, 13:28 (Ref:306404)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aaugh! If I had've known about *this*, I'd have joined my father (who is attending). Any idea what cars will be there? M8F? M20? DN4? 917-10 and 917-30? Others?

Maxmil, if it comes on TV, let us know if you manage to tape it!

I grew up with this stuff at Mosport (starting 1972 - I was 6 - the 917-10 George Follmer year). I remember those DN4s in 1974, and a DN4 and M20 beating WSCs at Mosport in 1976 (including J.Ickx in his 936 Le Mans winner, and an A442). What cars!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 Jun 2002, 13:57 (Ref:306423)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I presume the Porsche Supercup isn't going to Canada, in which case do you think SKY will show the Can Am race instead! (hmmmm, some how I doubt it!)
Old 6 Jun 2002, 14:28 (Ref:306441)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just checked Speed TV and they don't have it...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 Jun 2002, 15:50 (Ref:306500)   #8
freeze
Rookie

I know that a fellow by the name of (I believe) John Dean who owns the McLaren M8-D of Denny Hulme in 1971 will be there as one of the RC Cola Porsche 917-10. There is an M6-B and a few Lolas. Unfortunetely, I don't have the whole line up. Since the Porsche Club of America has so many enthousiasts, I'm sure the Sunoco Porsche 917-30 will show up.
I'll keep looking and let you know if I can.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 17:53 (Ref:306568)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess this is a bit before my time. I think I would have preffered to see the young Atlantics racers have at each other's throats as they always are.

Oh well, maybe some good photo ops with the vintage cars.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 7 Jun 2002, 02:41 (Ref:306934)   #10
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
damn i live in the wrong part of the world!!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy it guys cause i cant!
Old 7 Jun 2002, 04:28 (Ref:306974)   #11
bugeye
Rookie

bugeye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't it interesting how we remember the Can Am and how the thought of it raises our pulse rates. In reality there was always one team that was far ahead of any other, (McLaren, then Porsche, and finally Shadow) The outcome was never in doubt, but those days were exciting beyond belief. How do you imagine we will think of the current F1 in thirty years? Or will we think of it at all?
Old 7 Jun 2002, 12:34 (Ref:307299)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Doubtful we'll consider it at all. F1 stopped having that effect on us when Turbos were outlawed and flat bottoms mandated. Since then, it's been all about invisible, incremental improvements. Autosport magazine does their best to try to show developments, but F1's TV coverage provides zero context and zero focus - just cars circulating. (Funny, I'm not for the customer chassis solution proposed by Max and debated in another thread, but F1 sometimes looks like just a different-profile version of CART - all cars are basically visually the same on TV).

That's part of what I enjoy about ALMS - the visible variations. I can't get excited about Audi's direct injection - but watch them change out the drive train and gear box! Or how about a front-engined car? And the ssssooouuunnnd of that Panoz. Has the same effect on me as the Ligier-Matra in the days of the DFV. Vive la difference!

Can you tell the difference between the Ferrari 2001 and 2002 without looking closely? How about a 917-10 and 917-30?

Last edited by paul-collins; 7 Jun 2002 at 12:35.

-Bill James
Old 7 Jun 2002, 21:02 (Ref:307744)   #13
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Maxmil, if it comes on TV, let us know if you manage to tape it!
No Luck! They are only broadcasting the GP and a ton of World Cup matches. I checked the listings for all tomorrow and the rest of next week.
Old 7 Jun 2002, 23:03 (Ref:307816)   #14
freeze
Rookie

Well said Paul Collins

And what about the sound, the ground shaking. I'll tell you, I flaged at Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant in those days (1969-70) and when the Can-Am came to town, it was just plain scary.

I will never forget the 1970 Can-Am. I was assigned at the Labatt Bridge's corner for the qualifying session on saturday. I you recall, Denny Hulme was still recovering from his hands burns (Indy) and team McLaren altogether, the lost of Bruce. They called upon Dan Gurney to take his place (although every fans were sadden of the lost of one the younguest super talented designer/engineer but were at the same time happier and anxious to see what the "Eagle" could do in a good car).

We had an unbelievable session - Dan Gurney/McLaren, John Surtess/Lola-Chapparal and Jackie Oliver/Ti-22.
It is the only time in all the can-am races that I have seen, and I had a good seat for that one, that you could hear the tyres screeching from these 3 at the turn under the bridge. At one point they were out all 3 together for about 10 laps. A memory as clear as yesterday.

There is also nothing like it in any motorsport as of yet when they went on their warm-up lap before the flying start.