Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Apr 2019, 02:05 (Ref:3900383)   #76
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's pretty simple to understand really but the vast majority don't get it, testing is done to work out how to go fast and not to see how fast you can go. It also refines team procedures and resolves any managerial problems at the track they may have. Did Ferrari do that? No, they wanted to impress everyone with their speed and try and frighten the other teams into submission but Mercedes didn't do the dance or read the memo and now we see the result 4 nil at full time so far.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 02:12 (Ref:3900384)   #77
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No, not while they're performing so badly...... I mean, one of the Mercs only came second. Heads will roll.....
More to the point they let the non-favoured Merc win the race. What went wrong?
Old 29 Apr 2019, 05:05 (Ref:3900396)   #78
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
More to the point they let the non-favoured Merc win the race. What went wrong?
Shambles. Total disarray......

Old 29 Apr 2019, 05:44 (Ref:3900398)   #79
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It's pretty simple to understand really but the vast majority don't get it, testing is done to work out how to go fast and not to see how fast you can go. It also refines team procedures and resolves any managerial problems at the track they may have. Did Ferrari do that? No, they wanted to impress everyone with their speed and try and frighten the other teams into submission but Mercedes didn't do the dance or read the memo and now we see the result 4 nil at full time so far.
This.Every race Sky bang on endlessly about great Ferrari speed advantage when even someone as clueless as me can see it is illusory like the Winter World Championship of press releases and testing stunts.
The gap will increase during the year because of the impossibility of one person doing both jobs of Team Principal and Chief Technical Officer and doing them properly.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 07:46 (Ref:3900408)   #80
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
This.Every race Sky bang on endlessly about great Ferrari speed advantage when even someone as clueless as me can see it is illusory like the Winter World Championship of press releases and testing stunts.
The gap will increase during the year because of the impossibility of one person doing both jobs of Team Principal and Chief Technical Officer and doing them properly.
Ant Davidson finally worked it out this weekend. He actually said they need to stop talking about the Ferrari advantage because it isn't there.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3900413)   #81
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Jury is still out. Four 1-2s in a row might just be luck. We need to wait a few more races before we can be sure. Merc failed to get fastest lap today, suggesting a chink in their armour large enough for Leclerc to drive a Ferrari through.
Perhaps this is more dry humour. but Merc (Hamilton) would have got fastest lap under pre-2019 circumstances. With the extra point for fastest lap this year, any top ten driver with a 25+ second lead over the following car will have a punt at grabbing that point. It's really a pretty done deal in the last few laps when the cars are at their lightest and everyone else is on old tyres. In Baku, that was Leclerc. In other races it will be someone else.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 09:24 (Ref:3900429)   #82
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
With the extra point for fastest lap this year, any top ten driver with a 25+ second lead over the following car will have a punt at grabbing that point..
Exactly. And it's that kind of extra uncertainty which means Mercedes shouldn't be counting their chickens in the hand before the birds in the bush have hatched.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 09:35 (Ref:3900432)   #83
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Exactly. And it's that kind of extra uncertainty which means Mercedes shouldn't be counting their chickens in the hand before the birds in the bush have hatched.
If Mercedes were any good at this F1 game, they'd have understood that and given themselves enough of a gap to be able to pit for fresh tyres.
It's clear that Ferrari had the better of Merc in terms of tyre strategy this weekend.
If Mercedes don't start making better decisions, then they will never pick up any silverware....
Old 29 Apr 2019, 09:38 (Ref:3900434)   #84
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If Mercedes were any good at this F1 game, they'd have understood that and given themselves enough of a gap to be able to pit for fresh tyres.
It's clear that Ferrari had the better of Merc in terms of tyre strategy this weekend.
I hadn't thought of that. So Leclerc's entire strategy was to ensure that he was far enough behind the car ahead of him that there was nothing to lose by coming in for fastest-lap types. That's a cunning plan! Brilliant...
Old 29 Apr 2019, 10:00 (Ref:3900439)   #85
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We all love to joke but I think Bottas leading the championship is a genuine stuff up by Mercedes ie. it's not the way they wanted, not planned. So there's a chink in the armour, if ever so small.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3900443)   #86
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i don't think they really mind who's leading the championship to be honest. particularly when his advantage is so small, and they've had no driver drama.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 10:20 (Ref:3900445)   #87
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i don't think they really mind who's leading the championship to be honest. particularly when his advantage is so small, and they've had no driver drama.
Agreed - when Rosberg won the title, the issue was not about which driver, but that they had clashed.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 11:04 (Ref:3900448)   #88
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Agreed - when Rosberg won the title, the issue was not about which driver, but that they had clashed.
Agreed, I don't think that Lewis feels threatened by Bottas, if he was, he could have put him in the wall very easily on the first lap, yet he behaved like the complete gentleman.
I think that Lewis believes that he has Bottas more than covered over a complete season.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 11:09 (Ref:3900449)   #89
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The voice of reason... Thanks for that.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 14:40 (Ref:3900487)   #90
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
about the Toto not smiling...how excited should he get after 4 races? personally i like the strictly business approach.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 14:54 (Ref:3900491)   #91
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the way that all the expert fans are criticising Mercedes for "sand bagging" which seems which seems like a new trendy thing to whinge about. Of course they are never going to lay out all their cards until they have to and it is a legitimate tactic in my book. Are fans that naive they can't see that?
Old 29 Apr 2019, 15:09 (Ref:3900493)   #92
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
They don't mind at the moment, as there is only a point in it and they are only 4 races into the season. It will be interesting to see how long Mercedes let the current situation continue because at some point, they will have to have to give the nod.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 15:22 (Ref:3900496)   #93
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will they need to, though? Does not look like anyone is really close to them. Might turn out to be their most dominating year ever. Certainly looks like it right now, especially as Ferrari has been falling into their "we are so much too slow" trap ever since Spa last year. Forget FP1 until Q1 times. Except for Bahrein they always took Q2 and Q3 this year - the sessions when it counted.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 16:04 (Ref:3900503)   #94
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Depending on the effectivness of the RB upgrade in Barcelona I wouldn't be surprised they will overall become the strongest car.
How? They still have the weakest engine. By quite some margin too.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3900508)   #95
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
This thread is at risk of becoming a serious discussion.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 16:39 (Ref:3900514)   #96
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This thread is at risk of becoming a serious discussion.
It must be locked once that happens!

Richard
Old 29 Apr 2019, 16:41 (Ref:3900517)   #97
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
I do apologize. I obviously meant to say even Honda has now leapfrogged Mercedes. How they still manage to win with the 4th best power unit in the field nobody knows!
Old 29 Apr 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3900520)   #98
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Obviously Mercedes are due to start the downward spiral as they could not climb any higher at the moment.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 19:15 (Ref:3900542)   #99
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
How? They still have the weakest engine. By quite some margin too.

I think the delta to Mercedes is moderate and smaller than it was around this time last year. Last year they were able to more or less compensate with the chassis.

This year it seams Red Bull's aero package is somewhat unstable as in it was not able to maintain desired effectiveness in all circumstances. That seems to be partly adressed since last testing, but I expect Red Bull to make more gains than other teams on the aero side.

On top of that I expect Honda to increase more during the year than Ferrari and Mercedes.
Old 29 Apr 2019, 20:23 (Ref:3900549)   #100
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I love the way that all the expert fans are criticising Mercedes for "sand bagging" which seems which seems like a new trendy thing to whinge about. Of course they are never going to lay out all their cards until they have to and it is a legitimate tactic in my book. Are fans that naive they can't see that?
It is a legitimate tactic not to reveal everything and deliberately hold back, keeps your opponents guessing. Sandbagging sounds like the perfect description.