Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Sep 2001, 11:39 (Ref:149462)   #1
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The quest to rid the world of chicanes

I've read a lot of words here over the last year or so about getting rid of chicanes at places such as Monza.

Chicanes are dagerous. You come screaming down the straight bit, stand on the brakes and hope the the Schumacher behind doesn't run into the back of you. It's putting tremendous strain on brakes, and serves no real useful purpose in livening up the race.
So we'll get rid of them shall we?

In the case of a circuit such as Monza, that leaves us with a slightly mis-shaped oval track, which about 90% of will be taken flat. Thus turning F1 into CART.

Now it seems that that philosophy works nicely in CART. There's overtaking, and guys win from last on the grid. It simply wouldn't work in F1 though, because there's such a difference between the front and the back teams that it would just be a procession, with the backmarkers lapped about 50 times in the course of a race. There'd be nothing happening at the front, and F1 would be even worse than it already is.

Am I wrong in thinking this, have I gone off on completely the wrong track, or is there actually a point in all that somewhere?

Perhaps what we need is an experiment, where an F1 race is run on the Brands Hatch Indy Joke Circuit. This would show us whether a circuit without chicanes is a good plan or not, wouldn't it??
Old 22 Sep 2001, 12:08 (Ref:149470)   #2
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am still of the view that there is nothing wrong with chicanes per se. The problem is that they are being used to attempt to limit the top speed of the cars on long straights and in fast curves. In effect the chicanes are forcing the drivers to limit their speed in areas where the FIA deems it necessary. They are seeking to redesign courses which were laid down when serious racing accidents were more acceptable than they are today. One by one, the great tracks are being corrupted in the name of safety. The only solution is to build new courses that are crafted to give the illusion of danger without actually creating it. So far, there have been no successes, but there are some courses now unused by F 1 that would work better than Monza.
Old 22 Sep 2001, 12:19 (Ref:149473)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, MichaelC, I think you're right. I'm no expert but you made a point.
Old 22 Sep 2001, 13:10 (Ref:149487)   #4
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem with almost all chicanes is that they appear after a long straight, thus a higher speed produces a bigger accident. In the case of safety, chicanes should be located after a medium speed corner, thus reducing entry speed to 100mph. It would make it less interesting, but more safe!
Old 22 Sep 2001, 14:21 (Ref:149498)   #5
biznatchc
Rookie

biznatchc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reasons chicanes remain in place is $$$. The cars slow for enough time so that you can see the cars' sponsors
Old 22 Sep 2001, 18:20 (Ref:149525)   #6
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by biznatchc
The reasons chicanes remain in place is $$$. The cars slow for enough time so that you can see the cars' sponsors
so then why dont they make tight hairpins then? that sureley produces better racing because there are several lines INTO the corner AND gives more airplay to the sponsors.
Old 22 Sep 2001, 20:42 (Ref:149559)   #7
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been re-thinking the usual solutions to make F1 better. You know, things like removal of chicanes and wings and all that.

I don't like chicanes, but you have to do something to slow the cars down. And unless there are some serious restrictions on the cars they will keep on ruining the tracks.

Montoya said something interesting recently. He thinks it would be a great idea to increase the size of the wings. I've never thought of that. He's got a point though, bigger wings create more drag, wich slows the cars down on the straights and makes them less efficient, wich brings the field closer together. We'll I guess he's the expert...
Old 22 Sep 2001, 21:49 (Ref:149582)   #8
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no chance of getting rid of chicanes, as they are for safety e.g. chicanes on the tamburello at san marino, and zolder after deaths of drivers due to the high speed.

In my opinion they should re think this strategy so that the chicanes can be used for overtaking, currently they are too tight and narrow (monza) to overtake, so maybe widening the road could help
Old 22 Sep 2001, 21:58 (Ref:149593)   #9
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The reason i dont like chicanes is because they break up circuits like hockenheim and monza and have completely destroyed the challenge of the mulsanne kink at le mans. When coupled with the fact that they have ruined slipstreaming at places like imola where cars could get a tremendous slingshot to allow overtaking.

I realise some of them are there due to safety but i would much prefer alternative methods to chicanes being used, what these may be i'm not...
Old 23 Sep 2001, 01:42 (Ref:149643)   #10
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This "chicanes are there for safety" talk is utter rubbish. The chicanes don't make the tracks any safer at all, I've stopped buying that argument a long time ago. Just look at the pile-up at Monza last year that caused the death of marshal Paulo Gislimberti, and we were fortunate that no drivers were injured...

If the tracks are to be made safer, then "normal" corners which requires normal braking should be put in place instead of the chicanes. Chicanes like the first two at Monza do absolutely nothing to improve safety, only the opposite, as we have seen, unfortunately.
Old 23 Sep 2001, 03:23 (Ref:149655)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If they are used correctly, I have no problems with chicanes. The one at the back of the new Nurburgring (I think it's called the Veedolph), and the bus stop at Spa, are perfect examples of how chicanes should be. Chicanes increase overtaking (if done correctly). Demanding corners are fine, but these cars can only overtake in specific conditions. I'd prefer to watch a race at a track full of chicanes with plenty of passing, than a race at a demanding track that is a procession.
Old 23 Sep 2001, 04:33 (Ref:149670)   #12
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Making the run off areas larger, moving walls back away,and widening the track would increase safety.Viewing the race would not be as good though...

Alan
Old 23 Sep 2001, 06:26 (Ref:149686)   #13
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan

so then why dont they make tight hairpins then? that sureley produces better racing because there are several lines INTO the corner AND gives more airplay to the sponsors.

we might just watch soap operas instead, there's more time for advertisements there j/k

i think they should not alter any chicanes since the drivers are already used to it, they should instead promote driving responsibly between the drivers, for their own safety.

just a thought.

Last edited by f1grandprixshop; 23 Sep 2001 at 06:31.