Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Jun 2003, 23:53 (Ref:635029)   #1
ASTEM
Rookie

Australia
Australia
ASTEM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SAE Racing signs Alex Yoong

David Searle, team owner of SAE Racing is excited to announce that 2002 Formula One and 2003 CART driver Alex Yoong has agreed to terms and will be driving the SAE BMW at this years Bathurst 24 Hour.

"When we decided to take on the Mountain this year we knew we needed two things, a reliable car and a top driving line-up. With this signing, combined with the rest of our
team I am confident we now have both and will be a force to be reckoned with."

The car, the 2002 Super Tourer Championship winner under Alan Gurr will undergo a complete mechanical and exterior refit for the event with renown BMW engine builder Ernst Schlaepfer also making the trip out to help preparation.

"The first goal is the class win, the second outright position and although we are some 5 litres down in engine size on some of the big boys, I am sure the legendary BMW reliability coupled with a great team will enable a possible podium place."

Alex is also looking forward to his first ever crack at the Mountain.

"I have always wanted to race at Bathurst since I was a little boy an I believe it is one of the greatest circuits in the world. So when the chance came up to race there I was immediately interested."

"When weighing up our options SAE seemed to be approaching the race with a professional attitude and BMW is always a good bet for an endurance event. I know we are not going to be the race favourites but I think we may well surprise a few people."

"Thanks to David Searle and Tom Misner for giving me the opportunity and I hope Alan, Luke and I can repay the faith with a good result."

Having seen the track only on television, Alex will be coming out to Australia for a test drive and will also take the opportunity to visit the mountain in July.

The team driver line up currently stands at Alex Yoong, Alan Gurr and Luke Searle with one further driver to be added.

The Bathurst 24 Hour will be running for the second time and is scheduled for the weekend of 21-23 November 2003.

Last edited by ASTEM; 17 Jun 2003 at 23:58.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 23:57 (Ref:635032)   #2
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does SAE stand for?
Old 17 Jun 2003, 23:59 (Ref:635033)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sound & Audio Engineering.... www.sae.edu
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 17 Jun 2003, 23:59 (Ref:635034)   #4
ASTEM
Rookie

Australia
Australia
SAE Stands For School Of Audio Enginnering, who have sponsored David Searles Super Touring team for the last 4 Years. http://www.sae.edu
Old 18 Jun 2003, 00:02 (Ref:635036)   #5
RaceTime
Veteran

Interesting - as I understanding SAE is a trademark name for the Society of Automotive Engineers which IMHO is bound to be confused with this - especially when you consider this is being used on a race car....

Last edited by RaceTime; 18 Jun 2003 at 00:02.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 00:03 (Ref:635037)   #6
RaceTime
Veteran

And now that you are here - any chance of finding out what is happening with ST's in Australia or are they officially a non-category now?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 00:04 (Ref:635038)   #7
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done David Searle, one out of the blue I would say. Must be exciting for all involved. Congratulations to all concerned. How about a word from Alex's australian representative to let us all know how it came together.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 00:14 (Ref:635043)   #8
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's good to see another international coming out to have a crack at The Mountain although it's going to be interesting to see how Yoong adapts to the circuit.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 00:16 (Ref:635044)   #9
ASTEM
Rookie

Australia
Australia
The Super Tourers first race this year will be at Wakefield Park. There are new regulations in the process of being developed that have been embraced by team owners and drivers, it is hoped that we will be able to announce these sooner rather than later. The new regs adopt most of Super 2000 rules, however at this stage the engine capacity will remain at 2 litre, Sequential Gear Boxs will be allow, 18" rims and a areo pack.

As you are probally aware these all things take time. as soon as we have the regs approved we will release them in full.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 00:26 (Ref:635046)   #10
RaceTime
Veteran

Obviously the wrong thread for this but can we then expect to see more than the 6 cars that had entered for Wakefield by close of entries? (And these 6 had to be chased)
Old 18 Jun 2003, 00:33 (Ref:635051)   #11
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, Alex Yoong in a ST car! I never saw that one coming. At first I thought it was a joke. But upon closer inspection, it seems legitimate. So will the SAE BMW carry KL sponsorship then???

Yeah, for the longest time, I also thought that the SAE BMW had something to do with the Society of Automotive Engineers. I guess I've been wrong all these years!
Old 18 Jun 2003, 00:38 (Ref:635060)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The way I read the press release, that Alex was chosen by the team over other contenders, and that SAE has been a supporter of David Searle's team for a number of seasons, Alex Yoong appears to a paid driver in that team.

As he should be, as his presence in this team and this event sees this release all round the world, bringing the media spotlight on the team on an international basis.

There shouldnt be any doubt that Alex can drive the car.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Jun 2003, 01:51 (Ref:635084)   #13
Ross Cadell
Racer

Ross Cadell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks G for the rap. Here's the story

When Alex came out for the Supercar test at the beginning of the year we had dinner with Cam McConville and they talked about tracks and especially Bathurst. Alex had always watched the 1000 on TV and remembered Brocky and so decided he would like to race there on day.

When the CART thing came up it kind ruined the chances of a 1000 drive but we kept working on a 24 Hour. The sad thing is the Coyne thing fell over just after most of the 1000 seats were sewn up. The placement became an issue because Alex, being ex F1 etc was on a hiding to nothing in any other catergory and even here in what appeared to be a 3rd or 4th fastest car was going to be expected to drag it to a win. The SAE team is making a huge effort on a car that probably wont set the great times but will run all day.

All the team and Alex hopes that this is enough to catch some of the big boys when they have breakages. The main thing is Alex loves race and he loves good circuits this will enable him to experience both.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 03:35 (Ref:635133)   #14
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your welcome Ross,
this is a huge koooooooooooooooooooooooo for the team and a huge success for you personally. Just proves you can do anything from the Hunter Valley. WELL DONE
Old 18 Jun 2003, 06:27 (Ref:635177)   #15
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please dont read this the wrong way as it is not meant to offend, Im just wondering how the Searle team will carry out pit stops and driving on the Saturday of the 24HR?

We have all heard of the teams religious beliefs precluding some of the members from competing on Saturdays, therefore David (and his brother?) were constantly starting from the back of the grid.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 06:45 (Ref:635191)   #16
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Alex religious?

I have noticed that he always starts from the back of the grid too.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 06:53 (Ref:635194)   #17
RaceTime
Veteran

Yeah but he actually comes out to play on Saturdays
Old 18 Jun 2003, 06:55 (Ref:635196)   #18
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's not funny Morris 1100.

Well it is but it shouldn't be.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 06:57 (Ref:635200)   #19
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was wondering the same thing rdmdog, for a team that has always sat out the saturday events because of their religious beliefs its a complete about face, will they now be doing the same at all the race meetings?????
Old 18 Jun 2003, 07:07 (Ref:635212)   #20
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look what we have here, a bunch of religious bigots and intolerant smartar5es.... its getting so bad you cant even look in a thread around here without some hostile criticism creeping in. Disgusting. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves!!
Old 18 Jun 2003, 07:23 (Ref:635225)   #21
Ross Cadell
Racer

Ross Cadell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually this is an interesting point that both I and a motoring journalist both asked. Luke Searle will not jump in the drivers seat before dusk on the Saturday but other than that the team is fully operational. It is merely a personal belief of a driver.

Remember the same team has run Alan in the car without sitting out Saturdays.

Last edited by Ross Cadell; 18 Jun 2003 at 07:27.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 07:46 (Ref:635237)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember there are 3 or 4 drivers in each car, so it shouldn't cause a problem.

Any word on who the other drivers are?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 07:56 (Ref:635246)   #23
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by True Believer
Look what we have here, a bunch of religious bigots and intolerant smartar5es.... its getting so bad you cant even look in a thread around here without some hostile criticism creeping in. Disgusting. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves!!
Has nothing to do with bigotry or intolerence - merely a statement of facts.

And if you can't face those facts why bother even replying?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 08:16 (Ref:635266)   #24
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is just great news. I cant believe it, one of the greatest stories, it changed my day. I cant wait for the race.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 09:07 (Ref:635301)   #25
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by True Believer
What are you on about?
Was it something I said?