Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 4 Sep 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1399022)   #1
Paul Ranson
Racer

Paul Ranson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British Hillclimb, Prescott, September 4

Unofficial results....

Round 31

Scott Moran 37.36
Roger Moran 37.59
Martin Groves 37.61
Simon Durling 38.28
Rob Turnbull 38.71
Willem Toet 38.77
Phil Cooke 38.83
Karl Davison 39.09
Trevor Willis 39.12
Chris Merrick 39.16
William Mason 39.91
Mike Dean FAIL

Round 32
Scott Moran 37.24
Roger Moran 37.51
Simon Durling 38.05
Willem Toet 38.09
Mike Dean 38.2
Karl Davison 38.65
Chris Merrick 38.86
Paul Ranson 38.86
Trevor Willis 39.33
William Mason 39.42
Phil Cooke 59.41
Jonathan Goodyear FAIL

Nice one Scott! And the car having two 1-2s is pretty cool.

Overall roughly

1 Martin Groves 279
2 Willem Toet 194
3 Roger Moran 187
4 Mike Dean 176
5 Scott Moran 156
6 Simon Durling 134
7 Paul Ranson 123
8 Chris Merrick 95
9 Rob Turnbull 75
10 Paul Haimes 57
10 Karl Davison 57
12 Trevor Willis 50

Martin cannot be lower than 1, I cannot be lower than 7, everything else still seems to have at least theoretical possibilities. Trevor going for 10 and 2/3/4 sorting themselves out should make the Doune finale memorable. Be there or whatever.

Paul
Old 4 Sep 2005, 23:15 (Ref:1399098)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An excellent day, and congratulations to the Morans for tow 1-2 results. Has there ever been a father & son 1-2 before? Particular congratulations to Scotty for a very deserved result.

Moose was entertaining on his first run. I'm not convinced he was under control fromt he moment he appeared through Orchard to the inevitable spin at Semi. Looked like a different driver in it for the second run-off, and a good result there. Good to see Karl running well too.

We were very pleased you got the car sorted after Martin's problem, Paul. Sounded a little serious when it stopped, but happily you reappeared in it just after. it looked a little bit of a handful out of the Esses, though.

Other notables were our own wi11iam finishing ahead of Trevor again - that has really turned into an entertaining battle, and Adam in the little car was exciting to watch. Del-boy seemed to be having fun shoe-horned into something far too small for him. Couldn't believe it when I recognized his helmet.

I trust all of the drivers involved in some fairly hefty shunts are OK? I gather Steve Owen is to be complemented again on building such strong cars.

Fianally, I'd like to say (and I'm sure I'm speaking for all the marshals here) how touched we were by Chris and many other drivers coming to the briefing to say thanks. It was much appreciated.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 06:54 (Ref:1399233)   #3
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Well done Scott, fantastic result .

Couldn't be there myself but was sent breaking new's from Midland Rescue's own roving reporter, Pike. Cheer's dude.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 07:04 (Ref:1399238)   #4
MikeBz
Racer

MikeBz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Scott!
Old 5 Sep 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1399270)   #5
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two popular wins by the young Moran....
Well done Scott and hope there are many more too come.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 08:31 (Ref:1399297)   #6
Paul Ranson
Racer

Quote:
Has there ever been a father & son 1-2 before?
June Shelsley last year, Adam and Roger Fleetwood.

Paul
Old 5 Sep 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1399642)   #7
ranoff
Racer

ranoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well recollected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ranson
June Shelsley last year, Adam and Roger Fleetwood.
Very well recollected Paul
The assembled might of El Presidente, Jerry Sturman, Bob Dayson et al yesterday afternoon and we could not remember a sensational event little over 12 months ago! That was the day of the multiple record breaking.

Adam 24.54 in first qualifying, Graeme Wight Junior 24.24 in the run off, Adam 24.18 minutes later. Second event you qualified along with Martin Groves but neither could run due to a broken rear suspension mount. Roger Fleetwood posted a personal best 24.85. Junior escaped from a dramatic crash that was the last time the GR51B in original form ran properly and was photographed in sequence by Tim Robbins, then Adam posted a 24.08. How the hell could I forget that especially as I wrote the first report to appear. Doh!

Below taken from my own results chart!

Round 12
Adam Fleetwood 24.08 rec
Roger Fleetwood 24.85
Willem Toet 25.15
Rob Turnbull 25.35
Mike Dean 25.60
Ben Butterfield 25.60
Paul Haimes 25.85
Deryk Young 25.94
Simon Durling 26.32
Graeme Wight Jr Fail
Martin Groves DNS
Paul Ranson DNS
Old 6 Sep 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1400577)   #8
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranoff
The assembled might of El Presidente, Jerry Sturman, Bob Dayson et al yesterday afternoon and we could not remember a sensational event little over 12 months ago!
Don't know about assembled might. More like accumulated age.
Plays tricks with the grey cells.

Nice one Scotty.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1400593)   #9
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Priaulx 1-2?

Seem to recollect a Priaulx Family 1-2 - I'll have to check it out and get back to you on that one!

Old 6 Sep 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1400622)   #10
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Correcto Mundo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Seem to recollect a Priaulx Family 1-2 - I'll have to check it out and get back to you on that one!

Yes, I was right!

17th September 1995
Doune
1st Andy Priaulx 37.99sec
2nd Graham Priaulx 38.37sec
3rd George Ritchie 39.28sec
etc

Before them there were David and Sean Gould who also had a 1-2 finish to their names:
24th September 1989
Doune
1st David Gould 40.34sec
2nd Sean Gould 40.36sec
3rd Tim Thomson 40.52sec
etc

The only other Father & Son pairings I can remember were:

Tommy and Spencer Elton
Jim and James Thomson
Jim and Tim Thomson

None of whom completed a 1-2

There were also pairs of brothers including:

Peter and David Blankstone
Andy and Norman Kittle

Again neither of these did a 1-2
Old 6 Sep 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1400647)   #11
Paul Ranson
Racer

Then we can be pretty sure that last Sunday was the first time there were two in one day...

You seem to have some good historic data Steve, perhaps we could find somewhere to host some of it? Once you've sorted out all the sprinting minutiae of course.

Paul
Old 7 Sep 2005, 00:00 (Ref:1400920)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Jim and James Thomson
Jim and Tim Thomson
Got a vague feeling Tim and James had a 1-2 once? Presumably not.

Thanks for all the info. We did suspect the Priaulxs, but I could kick myself for not considering the Goulds.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1401220)   #13
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Oh please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ranson
Then we can be pretty sure that last Sunday was the first time there were two in one day...

You seem to have some good historic data Steve, perhaps we could find somewhere to host some of it? Once you've sorted out all the sprinting minutiae of course.

Paul
Don't you start!
Old 7 Sep 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1401221)   #14
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
The more I look at it, the more I realise just what an acheivement it was - prepare and shove in a runoff winning run, get it back to the paddock, get the first driver out, next driver in, check over the car, belts, helmet and Hans on, settle down and then take 2nd in the runoff in a hot car. Twice in one day? Hell of a job chaps.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1401224)   #15
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Siblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Got a vague feeling Tim and James had a 1-2 once? Presumably not.

Thanks for all the info. We did suspect the Priaulxs, but I could kick myself for not considering the Goulds.
I did check out the Thomsons but Tim wasn't in the racing cars when elder brother James was! So they never competed in the championship at the same time.

Old 7 Sep 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1401233)   #16
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
The more I look at it, the more I realise just what an acheivement it was - prepare and shove in a runoff winning run, get it back to the paddock, get the first driver out, next driver in, check over the car, belts, helmet and Hans on, settle down and then take 2nd in the runoff in a hot car. Twice in one day? Hell of a job chaps.
It was also a MAJOR achievement for the Gould and the Priaulx pairings. After all they had to qualify, then at the end of the day take part in a proper run-off. That's one where each driver has two attempts to set their best time (NB if you haven't seen one pop along to Three Sisters in October for the British Sprint Championship finale!).

That is double the pressure and double the driver changes in the same sort of time frame as the championship currently takes to get one run in!
Old 7 Sep 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1401319)   #17
DaveK
Racer

England
Whitchurch
DaveK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
After all they had to qualify, then at the end of the day take part in a proper run-off.
Have to disagree with you there Steve, Just because a driver might be able to drive faster in the afternoon after he has woken up, should that mean he deserves a place in a run off if he puts in a half hearted warm up effort, when other drivers are giving it there all in the morning runs.
I realise that some runoffs have been affected by weather conditions where it has rained during the timed runs, but this doesn't affect the overall results the fastest driver still wins overall.
The current Hillclimb runoff system IMO rewards the drivers who are willing to commit to each run, so if you aren't in the top12 for the 1st runs , Tough , you didn't drive fast enough and don't deserve to be there.

Cheers
Dave
Old 7 Sep 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1401353)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Have to agree with you there, Dave. I was sceptical of the revised format when it first appeared, but now I love it.

Steve, thanks again. My memory is letting me down, clearly, although I'm wondering if the Thompsons may have shared a car at a non-championship Shelsley, or perhaps a Midland meeting? That's not a question that requires an answer, by the way, unless your records are seriously exhaustive or you fancy a challenge!

Anyway, are we all agreed that this is one of the most enjoyable seasons ever? Fantastic cars, brilliant drivers with a good atmoshpere between them too (not that that's so rare in hill climbing) and a real battle for the numbers going on while Martin's battling with the records. Wonderful stuff.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1401382)   #19
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Or

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK
The current Hillclimb runoff system IMO rewards the drivers who are willing to commit to each run, so if you aren't in the top12 for the 1st runs , Tough , you didn't drive fast enough and don't deserve to be there.

Cheers
Dave
There are several reasons why the 'didn't drive fast enough' theory is a crock.
1. The weather which has already been mentioned
2. Mechanical problems
3. Co-driver error damaging the car
4. Track conditions (e.g. oil dumped on the track)

All of these do mean that there are occasions when the 'faster' drivers fail to get into a run-off.

It would be interesting to see the result of a poll of the Championship Points Scorers to see if the current system is really that popular.

I suspect it would be rejected by a large majority. Unfortunately it isn't going to happen. The Two Run-off System has been SOLD to the current sponsors and the Hillclimb Championship is stuck with it until they pull out.

Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1401466)   #20
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley

Anyway, are we all agreed that this is one of the most enjoyable seasons ever? Fantastic cars, brilliant drivers with a good atmoshpere between them too (not that that's so rare in hill climbing) and a real battle for the numbers going on while Martin's battling with the records. Wonderful stuff.
I'm with you there Woolley - haven't enjoyed a season so much in years. Just wish Junior could be in there making a fight of it.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1401501)   #21
pilbeam buddy
Rookie

Guernsey
Guernsey
pilbeam buddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Current Format

Hi didn't really feature in old run off system but certainly watched a few
and i much prefer current system and probally think only the old hands prefer the earlier system but would be interesting to see and i have to agree with dave k
regards moose
Old 7 Sep 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1401523)   #22
Paul Ranson
Racer

Quote:
All of these do mean that there are occasions when the 'faster' drivers fail to get into a run-off.
Why is this a bad thing?

FWIW it's clear that this year the 'faster' drivers have got into almost every runoff, look at the way the scores decay after 12th.

I think you'd have a better argument if there were no discards. OTOH I'd advocate no discards and the dual runoff arrangement...

Paul
Old 7 Sep 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1401780)   #23
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
After all they had to qualify, then at the end of the day take part in a proper run-off. That's one where each driver has two attempts to set their best time
In the war, Rodney....................
And it all finished nice and early in time to take your dinosaurs for a walk before bedtime. Yawn

So thats Steve Wilkinson, Bob Cooper and Rob Turnbull who would like to see the old run off format back. Any others?
Old 8 Sep 2005, 06:47 (Ref:1401937)   #24
ranoff
Racer

ranoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade
Any others?
Not me. IMHO the current set-up is much more worthwhile.

Also FWIW several ex-competitors (retired) much older than the aforementioned gentlemen prefer it too.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 08:06 (Ref:1401974)   #25
Judd
Rookie

Judd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new system allows those drivers who are consistently 13, 14 or 15th quickest, the odd runoff shot when one of the usual top 12 make a slip up. Squeaking in to the back end of the runoff is incredibly satisfying and if it wasn't for the single run qualifying this wouldn't happen. And having done this, sitting on the line for one run in which to prove one's worth, doesn't half increase the heart rate!! Its a superb system. I was completely against it at the beginning, but wouldn't change back now. The essence of Hillclimbing is about being on the pace from the start, no warm up laps, no second chances, errors being punished - the new system just extends this further.