Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Sep 2020, 21:56 (Ref:4003298)   #876
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I see MSA have issued further guidance today which rows back slightly from their "wear a mask at all times" dictat......

https://mcusercontent.com/512543ca0c...eid=064ea355cf
Old 19 Sep 2020, 22:37 (Ref:4004402)   #877
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not really understand Silverstone being so closed shop when other tracks are not.

Their loss, but lets face it, the place would be soulless with 10000 people in it as much as none!
Old 20 Sep 2020, 09:16 (Ref:4004766)   #878
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder why Silverstone is closed too. Do they have enough money that it doesn't really matter?

I do like Silverstone, it's got a great atmosphere and it's better than many other circuits round the world let's face it
Old 20 Sep 2020, 18:34 (Ref:4005142)   #879
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't agree with you there. Silverstone has all the appeal of a prison camp built on an industrial estate for me. The place has resolutely trampled over all its history and heritage for the sake of the monster spawned by Ecclestone and in do doing has destroyed the place I once loved. I go there to see great cars but always with a heavy heart.
Old 21 Sep 2020, 08:16 (Ref:4005276)   #880
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the wing and the new bit of the GP circuit have done nothing to improve what was a decent track.

Last edited by morninggents; 21 Sep 2020 at 08:37.
Old 21 Sep 2020, 08:24 (Ref:4005278)   #881
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Can't agree with you there. Silverstone has all the appeal of a prison camp built on an industrial estate for me. The place has resolutely trampled over all its history and heritage for the sake of the monster spawned by Ecclestone and in do doing has destroyed the place I once loved. I go there to see great cars but always with a heavy heart.
Has been described thus 'as welcoming as a cornered ferrit...'

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 21 Sep 2020, 21:09 (Ref:4005450)   #882
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
common sense seems to be prevailing both among the Kart & Bike communities.
Goodness, didn't think things were that drastic!
Old 21 Sep 2020, 21:11 (Ref:4005452)   #883
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Don’t worry, things will calm down before you know it
Old 21 Sep 2020, 21:19 (Ref:4005461)   #884
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Not strictly motorsport, but the NEC Classic Car Show has been cancelled this year, as has the Regent Street Motor Show, both November events.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 21 Sep 2020, 23:04 (Ref:4005476)   #885
S griffin
Veteran

That’s a shame, both are great classic events, but no surprise either. Hope all the effort is put on to make sure the events happen in 2021
Old 22 Sep 2020, 17:41 (Ref:4005660)   #886
abw
Rookie

England
Northampton
abw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park BSB looked particularly busy considering it was 'behind closed doors'.
Old 26 Sep 2020, 20:22 (Ref:4006520)   #887
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I do like Silverstone, it's got a great atmosphere and it's better than many other circuits round the world let's face it
Strange, for most people including myself it's the most uninspiring, drab and austere circuit on earth. My local short circuit oval has more attraction and as for spectators appeal - zilch!
Old 26 Sep 2020, 20:29 (Ref:4006523)   #888
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oddly enough that was Rockingham for me. Silverstone has its faults but as a very fast auto drome, only Thruxton beats it. And for amateur photographers Luffield is very good. And for racers the pit facilties are excellent.

I'm sure people in the USA moan about Indian apologies as being a boring fenced in oval.
Old 27 Sep 2020, 06:56 (Ref:4006636)   #889
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Oddly enough that was Rockingham for me. Silverstone has its faults but as a very fast auto drome, only Thruxton beats it. And for amateur photographers Luffield is very good. And for racers the pit facilties are excellent.

I'm sure people in the USA moan about Indian apologies as being a boring fenced in oval.
Couldn't agree more. Rockingham really was a charm-free zone. Went to the Indy car race there & left halfway through, bored stiff.
Old 27 Sep 2020, 08:57 (Ref:4006664)   #890
S griffin
Veteran

Yeah Rockingham wasn't exactly the most challenging of layouts and it being an oval meant it was all grandstands, unlike places like Donington, Silverstone or Oulton. That said it did at least provide good racing there.
Old 27 Sep 2020, 09:06 (Ref:4006667)   #891
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Silverstone has all the appeal of a prison camp built on an industrial estate for me. The place has resolutely trampled over all its history and heritage for the sake of the monster spawned by Ecclestone and in do doing has destroyed the place I once loved. I go there to see great cars but always with a heavy heart.
I don't see it as quite so bad, but do agree that Silverstone feels to have been too focused on F1 at the detriment of other series.

Over the last ten years of BTCC meetings I have attended, Silverstone is amongst the worse to watch BTCC at (IMO).

From the perspective of attending a BTCC meeting, I would place my preference in the following order:

1-Knockhill
2-Brands Hatch
3-Donington Park
4-Oulton Park
5-Croft
6-Snetterton
7-Silverstone
8-Rockingham

I'm still to make a visit to Thruxton - but if it is anywhere near half decent, then Silverstone sits as the worst venue BTCC visits currently.
Old 27 Sep 2020, 09:29 (Ref:4006672)   #892
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll be the odd man out then, in that I liked Rockingham and I like Silverstone. I do get though that my perspective is probably somewhat different to that of both spectators and drivers!
Old 27 Sep 2020, 10:32 (Ref:4006684)   #893
S griffin
Veteran

I don’t get why people are so down on Silverstone. There are a lot worse circuits in the world and I feel is still a good experience from a spectator viewpoint.
Old 27 Sep 2020, 13:32 (Ref:4006803)   #894
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I don’t get why people are so down on Silverstone.
It is ugly. It is flat. The background of every view is either an industrial block or an empty grandstand. The fencing obstructs views. The grandstands are only open a handful of times a year (some of them literally twice).

There are some great spots. Luffield, Club, Becketts. But the latter two need access to the grandstands to properly appreciate and that hardly ever happens.

F1 at Silverstone is a good experience - when it is full, buzzing, lots of food and drink open, it's great (and eye-wateringly expensive ofc). The Classic is fun. MotoGP is fun. Other than that it is empty, soulless and uninspiring. Just go once to Spa, Nurburgring, Monza or even Brands Hatch or Donington, to see places with individual character, unique features and a much more spectator-friendly attitude.
Old 27 Sep 2020, 14:48 (Ref:4006830)   #895
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want a 'Friendly Circuit' - Mallory should be your first choice.
Old 27 Sep 2020, 18:37 (Ref:4006935)   #896
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I don’t get why people are so down on Silverstone. There are a lot worse circuits in the world and I feel is still a good experience from a spectator viewpoint.
examples of worse circuits that you have attended a race meeting at please.
Old 28 Sep 2020, 06:55 (Ref:4007073)   #897
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Silverstone is OK. Decent paddock to work in, reasonably easy to walk round and spectate, decent loos. Yes there's the loads of unused grandstands, but they're the downside of having a GP. Another downside are the huge run off areas but infinitely preferable to the death and serious injury that used to result from the banking and wooden sleepers.

I've been going there for half a century now and it is so much better than in the "old days". Controversial comment I'm sure, but I'm happy going there.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 28 Sep 2020, 07:00 (Ref:4007074)   #898
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Worse circuits? Anywhere with grass paddock, or gravel for that matter. Paddocks on a slope - yes you, Brands Hatch. Paddocks fully exposed to the East wind from the Urals - that'll be Snetterton.

Silverstone is what it is.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 28 Sep 2020, 07:07 (Ref:4007076)   #899
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I know few of your circuits so can't compare but for a foreigner racing at Silverstone is a great experience. And the welcome is appreciated together with a serious and very polite scrutineering. Going from paddock to pre-grid can be tricky but just when you're late.
Old 28 Sep 2020, 09:05 (Ref:4007098)   #900
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I know few of your circuits so can't compare but for a foreigner racing at Silverstone is a great experience. And the welcome is appreciated together with a serious and very polite scrutineering. Going from paddock to pre-grid can be tricky but just when you're late.
This. Maybe we are bit lucky that we have so many great circuits in this country. Certainly some tend not to appreciate how well run the British circuits are compared to other countries. I think British motorsport has a lot to be proud of